Page 95 of 159 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #941
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    Oh? How are they taxed twice?
    They expaln where that reasoning comes from in the article I linked. I don't quite buy it, but it is explained.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #942
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,358

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    If you truly cared about results you would hold this Administration accountable for their poor results and economic failures. it isn't the role of the Federal Govt. to redistribute wealth in the name of compassion for all that does is fuel career politicians and massive expansion of the Federal govt. What is the role of the state and local government in your world?

    Unlike what many liberals think, I wasn't born rich, worked for everything i have and resent liberals telling me what to do with that money. How do you know what I do with my income and why should I be forced by a bureaucrat to give more of my money to a federal bureaucracy at the expense of local charities and my church?
    I guess you were born in the wrong country then. The tax structure isn't really about compassion or even fairness. It is just the only way it works in our consumer economy. I'm sorry that wages have stagnated so much that there is no money left for income tax in so many families. but that was what you wanted isn't it? Kill the unions so wages can be kept low? So YOU got the wage increase and you have to pay the taxes that go with that money. It was inevitable...the money has to come from somewhere. You know full well that you could give all your employees a nice raise and that would come off your bottom line and save you on your taxes. Their taxes would go up accordiingly but odds are they would spend a good part of that raise, boosting the economy. That's how our economy works.. the more people with money to spend the more we grow. There are always alternatives to giving money to the Govt., sadly all you seem to care about is Y-O-U.
    Last edited by iguanaman; 01-26-12 at 08:18 PM.

  3. #943
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post

    They expaln where that reasoning comes from in the article I linked. I don't quite buy it, but it is explained.

    McBride says it is unfair to tax income more than once, and capital gains are taxed multiple times. If you got the original investment from wages, that money was taxed. If the stock you own gains value because the company you invested in makes a profit, those profits are taxed through the corporate tax. And if that company issues dividends, those are taxed as well.


    Oh, yeah, that's complete and utter Conservative bullsht as you only pay capital gains tax on profit, not the money invested. Seems our Converative friends are unclear of the meaning of the word, "gains ".

  4. #944
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I guess you were born in the wrong country then. The tax structure isn't really about compassion or even fairness. It is just the only way it works in our consumer economy. I'm sorry that wages have stagnated so much that there is no money left for income tax in so many families. but that was what you wanted isn't it? Kill the unions so wages can be kept low? So YOU got the wage increase and you have to pay the taxes that go with that money. It was inevitable...the money has to come from somewhere. You know full well that you could give all your employees a nice raise and that would come off your bottom line and save you on your taxes. Their taxes would go up accordiingly but odds are they would spend a good part of that raise, boosting the economy. There are always alternatives to giving money to the Govt., sadly all you seem to care about is Y-O-U.
    Being liberal apparently makes you an expert and legend in your own mine, however you need to think more with the brain you have vs. your heart. You somehow think it is more compassionate to send money to the Federal govt. in the form of taxes than keep more of what you earn and spend it locally on charities and your church. That is typical liberalism of passing the buck and claiming that you care. If you truly cared you would start your own business, pay those employees the salary you think is fair, send in more in tax revenue than required, but no, you would rather spread your misery equally to everyone else telling others how to live and how unfair they are.

    From your post you have no concept of being in business for yourself. Would love to see you take my advice and start your own business. Get back to me afterwards.

  5. #945
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    McBride says it is unfair to tax income more than once, and capital gains are taxed multiple times. If you got the original investment from wages, that money was taxed. If the stock you own gains value because the company you invested in makes a profit, those profits are taxed through the corporate tax. And if that company issues dividends, those are taxed as well.


    Oh, yeah, that's complete and utter Conservative bullsht as you only pay capital gains tax on profit, not the money invested. Seems our Converative friends are unclear of the meaning of the word, "gains ".
    And our liberal "friends" have no concept of risk taking but that doesn't stop them from wanting part of any benefits but certainly not any losses.

  6. #946
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    More good news for America.

    Dow at 8-month high

    Good news for America is bad news for Conservatives.

  7. #947
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And our liberal "friends" have no concept of risk taking but that doesn't stop them from wanting part of any benefits but certainly not any losses.
    What risk? If you lose money, you pay no tax at all on the investment. You can even write it off.

  8. #948
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And our liberal "friends" have no concept of risk taking but that doesn't stop them from wanting part of any benefits but certainly not any losses.
    Your response has nothing to do with the post you're responding to

    SY pointed out that the original investment is not taxed; only the profits are.

    And losses are deductible in many cases
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  9. #949
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Being liberal apparently makes you an expert and legend in your own mine, however you need to think more with the brain you have vs. your heart. You somehow think it is more compassionate to send money to the Federal govt. in the form of taxes than keep more of what you earn and spend it locally on charities and your church. That is typical liberalism of passing the buck and claiming that you care. If you truly cared you would start your own business, pay those employees the salary you think is fair, send in more in tax revenue than required, but no, you would rather spread your misery equally to everyone else telling others how to live and how unfair they are.

    From your post you have no concept of being in business for yourself. Would love to see you take my advice and start your own business. Get back to me afterwards.
    Get your eyes checked, Con ...

    iguanaman: "The tax structure isn't really about compassion..."

    Conservative: "You somehow think it is more compassionate to send money to the Federal govt. in the form of taxes..."

  10. #950
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,258

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    What risk? If you lose money, you pay no tax at all on the investment. You can even write it off.
    If you take a risk and invest your money into stocks and make money I don't expect to get some of it, but that is apparentlyt he difference between me and you. Further stock losses are limited and by increasing taxes on risk taking you are going to discourage investment but I am sure someone like you doesn't understand that

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •