Page 75 of 159 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #741
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Tettsuo;1060146742]Deficit and debt are not the same thing. FIRST, you have to correct your deficit before you can effectively address the debt. Of course, this doesn't change the fact that Conservative ideals have increased the DEFICIT everytime they were enacted.
    Conservative ideals aren't spending more money in the name of compassion only to get failed results? People truly in need should be helped by the state and local communities, NOT the Federal taxpayers.

    You've all but ignored the fact that Conservatives continue to preach to you the solution of cutting taxes will heal the broken economy. It hasn't happened. They've not changed their tune in any way, shape or form. When will to open your eyes to the fact that as soon as a Conservatives implements their plan of tax cutting and regulations smashing, the nation doesn't straight down the tubes? There is a cost for living into America. Pay it or get out. Conservatives don't want to pay and don't rules to regulation their bad behavior, but they want a safe society with roads and airports and all the amenities of a strong country. They just want it at the cost of Somalia or any crap hole 3rd world country. That doesn't work.
    You say it doesn't work, facts prove differently. People with more spendable income always help the economy, whether it is paying down personal debt, investing them one, saving it, or spending it, it helps. How does you keeping more of what you earn "send the economy down the tubes?" Why don't you find out what taxes are supposed to fund and get back to me? How about finding out the true role of the Federal Govt. and getting back to me. You don't seem to have a clue what FIT funds or is supposed to fund nor what state taxes fund and are supposed to fund. Therein lies the problem with liberalism

    Yet Reagan, Bush 1 and 2 have all increased the national DEFICIT by huge amounts. Guess what? The plan didn't work as advertised. The middle class shrunk while the rich increased their wealth. That's not progress, that's the nation devolving into a 3rd world country. So again, explain how Conservative ideals have improved the country. Explain how the current batch is any different than Bush Jr. Explain how they will avoid the same pitfalls that Bush didn't avoid. How will cutting regulations some more benefit business and how cutting taxes when we can't afford the rebuild our infrastructure will benefit the average American.
    [/QUOTE]

    Yes, the deficits during the Reagan and Bush Administrations increased just like they increased during the Clinton years and now have been put on steroids by Obama. This station is evolving into Greece or any other European style economy. Conservatives believe individuals can spend their money better and get better results than a bureaucrat in D.C.

    The current batch in D.C. has expanded the role of the govt. and tried to lesson the role of the states. What happens to state revenue when the govt. increases Federal taxes?

    NYC education taught me if a particular plan doesn't work, you don't repeat that plan expecting a different result
    Looks to me like your Governor realizes that you cannot tax your way to prosperity. Doing more of what NY has done in the past led to massive leaving of business and taxpayers from your state. Better think about the effects of raising Federal Taxes on your state taxes as more and more people will leave high tax states to lower tax states to pay for the rise in Federal taxes

  2. #742
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Well.

    I honestly didn't think it was that bad.

    I admit I don't watch/listen to Obama himself speak very often.

    I usually get the information from the media afterwords, sometimes bad parts of the media.

    Although Im not a fan of more government... I can see how he would believe those programs would help the problem.

    Although my concern is that people will become dependent upon those programs, creating a greater dependence upon the government itself.

    I also would wonder where the money is going to come from if he WERE to get congress to draft legislation and pass it.

    He, only in passing, mentioned shrinking the budget by anything. But coupled with all the spending he mentioned, it amounts to nothing.


    I'm not going to sit up here and say **** like, "HES A WINDBAG!" "HES A SOCIALIST TERRORIST MUSLIM NON-AMERICAN BLAH BLAH BLAH"

    I'm just going to say, although his plans sound great, I think its time for less government programs to hook the people on the government teat, not more.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #743
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Connery;1060146749]You do not know what you are talking about I assure you...
    I have been told that by a lot of the liberals here

    You speak like an angry misinformed person. Am I to assume you are labeling me a liberal?
    I made a statement, unless you are a liberal that doesn't relate to you.



    Kindly supply references.
    Reagan and GHW Bush agreed to raise taxes in a deal to cut spending, we got the tax increases but not the spending cuts. Bush's agreement was 3 for 1. Did Congress ever cut the budget?

  4. #744
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why? He paid over 3 million dollars a year in income taxes and contributed significantly to charity. Compare that to those compassionate Obama's and Biden's as to how much they gave to charity?
    Yeah, let's compare. In '09 the Obama's had a bit over $5 million in income and contributed about $400k PLUS the entire $1.4 million from the Nobel Prize to charity, for a total of about $1.8 million. Thus the Obama's gave about 1/3 of their income to charity, versus Mitt's 12%. Ouch.
    Last edited by AdamT; 01-26-12 at 11:10 AM.

  5. #745
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,149

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Did you read your article before you decided to start laughing about it....

    Are food stamps at a record setting high? Yes (Now, personally...I don't actually care about this statement in a way similar I don't care about Obama's "oil production" statement because in both cases every year or two there's typically a new "record setting high" because its continually growing).

    It points out that more people were put on food stamps under Bush than undre Obama....14.7 to 14.2 million. HOWEVER, it ALSO points out that its comparing Bush's 8 years to Obama's 3 years. So in 3 years Obama has seen .5 less millison.

    So as your article points out, the RATE of growht is substantially higher with Obama. Bush added an average of roughly 1.8 million a year during his term. Thus far the rate of increaes for Obama is 4.7 million. Could that go down over time? Absolutely...but if you're FORCING us, as the website is doing, of taking a snapshot then you have to rightfully look at the fact they're taking 8 years of numbers and comparing it to 3.

    So while
    you may be able to laugh that on a technicality Newt's statement wasn't correct, the generalized message behind his statement is actually shown pretty clearly from your own link. Increasing food stamp recipients at a pace of nearly 4 Million more a year than Bush is hardly something to at
    wanted to point out the kernel of truth in your post
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #746
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yeah, let's compare. In '09 the Obama's had a bit over $5 million and income and contributed about $400k PLUS the entire $1.4 million from the Nobel Prize to charity, for a total of about $1.8 million. Thus the Obama's gave about 1/3 of their income to charity, versus Mitt's 12%. Ouch.
    So you want to compare giving his Nobel Peace Prize money to charity as an example of him being more charitable than Romney? Ouch is right, stop playing the game, you aren't that good at it.

  7. #747
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    So you want to compare giving his Nobel Peace Prize money to charity as an example of him being more charitable than Romney? Ouch is right, stop playing the game, you aren't that good at it.
    Did he not have the option of keeping the prize money? Of course he did. How is that any different than Mitt's interest and dividend income?

  8. #748
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Did he not have the option of keeping the prize money? Of course he did. How is that any different than Mitt's interest and dividend income?
    He was given the Nobel Peace prize, the question is did he earn it? Did he risk his own money to get it? Romney gave away money that he earned through risk taking. it was his money that was invested to make that return and it was then income that he earned that he paid to charities

  9. #749
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    He was given the Nobel Peace prize, the question is did he earn it? Did he risk his own money to get it? Romney gave away money that he earned through risk taking. it was his money that was invested to make that return and it was then income that he earned that he paid to charities
    You're just trying to wriggle out of the bear trap you set for yourself and stepped in. Bottom line is that the Obama's gave a significantly bigger chunk of their income to charity than the Romneys.

  10. #750
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yeah, let's compare. In '09 the Obama's had a bit over $5 million in income and contributed about $400k PLUS the entire $1.4 million from the Nobel Prize to charity, for a total of about $1.8 million. Thus the Obama's gave about 1/3 of their income to charity, versus Mitt's 12%. Ouch.
    Who cares?

    And you may or may not be the person who brought this up in the first place..... but who cares how much each candidate gave to charity?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •