Page 58 of 159 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #571
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,719

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So You don't want to raise taxes on the rich (who can afford it), but you want to raise costs on those that can't afford it.

    Brilliant, I say you should write all the GOP running for elections and tell them to run with that idea on the public for their campaigns.
    I dont want to raise taxes on anyone. I want to cut spending. I also dont believe people should be getting not just a complete refund of every tax dollar but getting someone else's money as well. Harry is right about one thing though, if someone regards something as free, they will abuse the service as much as possible because they arent harmed by its overuse. Same applies to taxes and the raising of same, if you dont pay any already, why would you give a **** if taxes are raised? You dont.

  2. #572
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Class warfare and jealousy? Got it! Economic fairness to a liberal is raise taxes on the rich and increase the number of people not paying any taxes. That is liberal fairness.
    Class warfare is raising costs on those that can't afford it. But go ahead and have all your GOP favorites running elections this year to campaign on raising costs for those that can't afford it.

    But no GOP candidate will because they KNOW they will get their asses handed to them by the public.

  3. #573
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No, just a single payer system that provides health care to all at half the cost we pay, just like the rest of the industrialized world. Without this our health care cost will continue to spiral out of control.
    Single payer limits coverage choices, typically to whatever it decides is most cost efficient.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    A single payer system lowers limit and benefits and then through private health care insurance because there is no profit and lower overhead under a single payer system. I've reviewed the comparisons between single payer systems and our own, and our quality of care for all citizens is under par compared to the single payer systems.
    A single payers restricts access to newer, more effective, but more costly treatments or cures.
    It has to, in order to keep costs in check.

    The thing is, when you do that, it delays the eventually drop in cost of those newer treatments and cures
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #574
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,489

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I said earlier I don't mind a modest tax increase.
    As long as it doesn't negatively effect economic growth.

    I don't care what the GOP says, I'm not a Republican.
    A little more taxes? And that stops being a request by the government when?

    In order to correct the existing unsavory state of affairs created by government, the government is requesting that we all work harder, and if necessary, we should procure more than one job to pay the government more of our money, liberties, and property in order to for the government to maintain the lifestyle by which it has become accustomed.

    The government will also continue to require the citizens to retain it as our debt payment manager. In other words, it will be necessary to cut down our individual living standards in order to pay the government more money to be lavishly squandered while simultaneously seeking new ways to force us all to contribute more than ever before.

    You can now sleep at night knowing that the U.S. Government has seen the errors of its way and now wants to attempt to redeem it self by making our lives even more miserable than what we’ve paid them to make it to be over the last 250 years.

  5. #575
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,587

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Class warfare is raising costs on those that can't afford it. But go ahead and have all your GOP favorites running elections this year to campaign on raising costs for those that can't afford it.

    But no GOP candidate will because they KNOW they will get their asses handed to them by the public.
    making the rich pay more to seduce the votes from the envious has nothing to do with making things less costly for the unproductive or those truly unable to "afford it"

  6. #576
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    A little more taxes? And that stops being a request by the government when?

    In order to correct the existing unsavory state of affairs created by government, the government is requesting that we all work harder, and if necessary, we should procure more than one job to pay the government more of our money, liberties, and property in order to for the government to maintain the lifestyle by which it has become accustomed.

    The government will also continue to require the citizens to retain it as our debt payment manager. In other words, it will be necessary to cut down our individual living standards in order to pay the government more money to be lavishly squandered while simultaneously seeking new ways to force us all to contribute more than ever before.

    You can now sleep at night knowing that the U.S. Government has seen the errors of its way and now wants to attempt to redeem it self by making our lives even more miserable than what we’ve paid them to make it to be over the last 250 years.
    While I agree in principle, I have to disagree in effect.
    The government is not responsible, nor are it's beneficiaries.

    So, we gotta do, what we gotta do.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 01-25-12 at 08:53 PM. Reason: grammer
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #577
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Class warfare is raising costs on those that can't afford it. But go ahead and have all your GOP favorites running elections this year to campaign on raising costs for those that can't afford it.

    But no GOP candidate will because they KNOW they will get their asses handed to them by the public.
    You don't think govt. increases costs on people? Do you really think that people not paying any FIT have any concern about raising FIT on those that do? When you take all the money from those evil rich people who then funds your pet projects?

  8. #578
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Medicare and medicaid, by increasing cost sharing.
    Instead of retirees paying what they do now, they can have their monthly premiums increased by $20-30 and their co pays increase by $10-20.

    They already have cost sharing through Medicare, why would seniors choose to accept even higher costs for their health care?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #579
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    making the rich pay more to seduce the votes from the envious has nothing to do with making things less costly for the unproductive or those truly unable to "afford it"
    Raising costs on people that can't afford it is like squeezing blood from a turnip. That isn't going to lower costs either.

  10. #580
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    They already have cost sharing through Medicare, why would seniors choose to accept even higher costs for their health care?
    Yea man, no one wants to pay more for anything.
    That's why responsible and mindful adults should be in control of the process.

    They should pay more because they cost the system a lot of money.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •