Page 45 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #441
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dragon View Post
    Yes it is your responsibility. After all, you're an EMPLOYER.
    You live in the wrong country, Greece is more to your liking. As an employer I am obligated to treat you professionally and fairly, not pay for your expenses. You have the right to earn the income to do that until you lose that right by your actions.

  2. #442
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-13-12 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: State of the Union Address

    I found the President's State of the Union to be light on substance and heavy on rhetoric. Also, his advocacy of an economic "blueprint" speaks to his authoritarian inclination towards central planning and management. Economies don't need "blueprints", they need liberty and property rights.

    Brian

  3. #443
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Cutting funding to medicare does nothing to address the highest health care cost in the world, and again SS is not responsible for any of our debt.
    Once again, lets all thank Catawba for providing the wonderful example of "MY sacred cow can't be touched because its good because I think my opinion is fact, but YOURS needs to be cut to extreme levels".

    Give him a hand folks, you couldn't ask for a better example if I was paying someone.




    In all seriousness, I'm not paying him...he's ACTUALLY does function this way.

  4. #444
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post
    I found the President's State of the Union to be light on substance and heavy on rhetoric. Also, his advocacy of an economic "blueprint" speaks to his authoritarian inclination towards central planning and management. Economies don't need "blueprints", they need liberty and property rights.

    Brian
    Can't really blame him for that. Most SotU's, especially in the modern age, are in this fashion. We no longer have one time a year that we know everyone will definitely hear from the President. There's news conferences constantly, we always see the white house spokes person talking, we've got operatives on every station you can imagine putting out a message...and on and on. The SotU is political theater, even more so then it used to be. That's not an Obama thing but rather now an American thing it seems.

  5. #445
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-13-12 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    ...and again SS is not responsible for any of our debt.
    All spending is responsible for our debt, and each program's respective responsibility for the debt is directly proportional to its percentage of total expenditures. This is a simple matter of arithmetic and basic finance.

    Brian
    Last edited by Free_Radical; 01-25-12 at 06:31 PM.

  6. #446
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,375

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Where does investment income come from? Seems that liberals want to ignore the reality that people get investment income from their earned income which is taxed at a higher rate than the ROI on investment revenue but that has to be ignored for the liberal agenda to be promoted. Personal income is taxed then investment income is taxed again, Anyone really believe that Buffet's secretary is paying a higher tax rate than all the Buffet revenue was taxed?
    Boy you had my head spinning. Lets' keep this simple..income is INCOME, new money that a person gets from salary or investment. Income is only taxed once and capital gains are only taxed if the money is not reinvested. You see in a consumer economy we need to tax the income that is not spent or reinvested. Any other source, reduces spending and growth.

  7. #447
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-13-12 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Can't really blame him for that. Most SotU's, especially in the modern age, are in this fashion. We no longer have one time a year that we know everyone will definitely hear from the President. There's news conferences constantly, we always see the white house spokes person talking, we've got operatives on every station you can imagine putting out a message...and on and on. The SotU is political theater, even more so then it used to be. That's not an Obama thing but rather now an American thing it seems.
    I would tend agree. It speaks to how hollow our political process has become.

    Brian

  8. #448
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Once again, lets all thank Catawba for providing the wonderful example of "MY sacred cow can't be touched because its good because I think my opinion is fact, but YOURS needs to be cut to extreme levels".

    Give him a hand folks, you couldn't ask for a better example if I was paying someone.

    In all seriousness, I'm not paying him...he's ACTUALLY does function this way.
    I'll give him a hand for getting to the root of the issue, which is health care costs -- not who pays them. Because ultimately someone has to pay them, and that is sucking the life blood out of our economy. Or are you proposing that we just let people die?

    What are you going to do when you cut Medicare by one third? ARE you going to let old people die because they can't pay the doctor or hospital? Serious question.

    So you are both right. Clearly we can't right this ship until we get Medicare costs in line, and clearly we cannot get Medicare costs in line unless we address the cost of health care itself.

  9. #449
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Once again, lets all thank Catawba for providing the wonderful example of "MY sacred cow can't be touched because its good because I think my opinion is fact, but YOURS needs to be cut to extreme levels".
    You can call facts sacred cows if it make you happy. it still doesn't change the truth of what I am saying.

    For example, How does cutting medicare do anything to reduce the high health care cost?

    Now much of our National Debt is due to SS?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #450
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Free_Radical View Post
    All spending is responsible for our debt, and each program's respective responsibility for the debt is directly proportional to its percentage of total expenditures. This is a simple matter of arithmetic and basic finance.

    Brian
    Please cite the portion of our National Debt attributable to SS. Because everything I've read is that through SS payments from payroll taxes, there is funding through 2036.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •