Page 14 of 159 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

    Please point out where they had a super majority and could go around the Democrat Obstructionists?
    That's a strawman since Democrats didn't actually block any related bills, Republicans didn't need a super majority.

    Republicans were in charge. Weren't they the ones running the country??

    And if you're going to blame the minority party for wrecking the economy while Republicans were in charge, WTF should we ever put them in charge again?? They obviously can't lead.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

    The best they could get past was Sarbanes/Oxley and we can now look back and see just how effective that was. Fact is the Republicans majority in both Houses was razor thin and simply couldn't pass anything without Democrat approval. I'll retrieve the political make up of both houses for what ever year you want, just name the year.
    What difference does it make what the numbers were? What was needed to prevent the meltdown was oversight of the GSE's. Republicans put up two bills ... S.190 and H.R.1461. S.190 passed in committee, was not filibustered, and never made it to the Senate floor for a full vote because the party in charge wouldn't put it on the legislative calendar. How the hell is that the fault of the minority party??

    H.R.1461 passed in the House and was again dropped in the Senate because again, the party in charge ... the party responsible for getting that bill on the legislative calendar so it could be voted on by the full Senate ... never let that happen. How the hell is that the fault of the minority party??

    Just months after taking over the Congress in early 2007, Barney Frank (they guy you're blaming while he was in the minority party), now with the majority party, introduced and pushed H.R.1427 through the House. That's the guy you're blaming? The one who only two months into gaining controll of the House, passed a bill to increase oversight??
    Last edited by Sheik Yerbuti; 01-25-12 at 02:50 AM.

  2. #132
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by usda select View Post
    Obama owns the place for all intent and purposes. Boehner looks as though he is one of those defendants who knows he is guilty, knows the judge knows that he is guilty, and knows the jury knows that he is guilty. The obstructor and thief of the House is getting his lunch eaten.
    Boehner does what Eric Cantor tells him what to do? How long can he hold the position of Speaker?

  3. #133
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba speaking about President Bush View Post
    please do not minimize his accomplishments

    he also turned a budget surplus into massive deficits
    Yeah, he said he was giving a refund even though we were in debt.

  4. #134
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    The Democrats were warned many time, but still fought regulation of the Home Loan Banks and F&F.
    You might remember the Democrats lost the House in '94 and gained it back in '06. What did the Republicans in between. Answer: NOTHING!!

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    You might remember the Democrats lost the House in '94 and gained it back in '06. What did the Republicans in between. Answer: NOTHING!!
    Conservative logic: Anything good that occurred during those 12 years was due to Republican leadership ... anything bad that happened during those 12 years was due to minority party Democrats and not enough Republicans in Congress, even though they were the majority party.


  6. #136
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,025

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    At least Republicans pay taxes to keep this country going.
    You do know that everyone in this country pays taxes in one form or another. Even people who are on welfare and buy smokes pay taxes.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #137
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    That's a strawman since Democrats didn't actually block any related bills, Republicans didn't need a super majority.

    Republicans were in charge. Weren't they the ones running the country??

    And if you're going to blame the minority party for wrecking the economy while Republicans were in charge, WTF should we ever put them in charge again?? They obviously can't lead.


    What difference does it make what the numbers were? What was needed to prevent the meltdown was oversight of the GSE's. Republicans put up two bills ... S.190 and H.R.1461. S.190 passed in committee, was not filibustered, and never made it to the Senate floor for a full vote because the party in charge wouldn't put it on the legislative calendar. How the hell is that the fault of the minority party??

    H.R.1461 passed in the House and was again dropped in the Senate because again, the party in charge ... the party responsible for getting that bill on the legislative calendar so it could be voted on by the full Senate ... never let that happen. How the hell is that the fault of the minority party??

    Just months after taking over the Congress in early 2007, Barney Frank (they guy you're blaming while he was in the minority party), now with the majority party, introduced and pushed H.R.1427 through the House. That's the guy you're blaming? The one who only two months into gaining controll of the House, passed a bill to increase oversight??

    Quotes on Fannie and Freddie:

    September 2003
    "I think we see entities that are fundamentally sound, financially, and withstand some of the disaster scenarios. And even if there were a problem, the federal government doesn’t bail them out. But the more pressure there is there, then the less I think we see in terms of affordable housing.
    -Rep Barney Frank

    September 2003
    "I do think I do not want the same kind of focus on safety and soundness that we have in OCC [Office of the Comptroller of the Currency] and OTS [Office of Thrift Supervision]. I want to roll the dice a little bit more in this situation towards subsidized housing. . . .
    -Rep. Barney Frank

    September 2003
    "I believe there has been more alarm raised about potential unsafety and unsoundness than, in fact, exists.
    -Rep. Barney Frank

    Royce to Frank: The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem : U.S. Congressman Ed Royce
    Looks clear to all that care to really look.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    02-06-12 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    240

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    what freedoms are being torn up out of interest?
    Let's review the following list taken from a Ron Paul forum:

    1. The health care mandate
    2. New TSA procedures implemented
    3. Obama claims power to assassinate American citizens
    4. Violation of Email privacy without Warrant
    5. Your driveway not your property

    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...st-Under-Obama

    Do you disagree with any of these?
    Last edited by Sunbelt; 01-25-12 at 04:06 AM.

  9. #139
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    01-04-17 @ 10:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,432

    Re: State of the Union Address

    The joy that I'm feeling right now and no doubt the rest of America is feeling after one of the greatest SOTU speeches in our history is absolutely mind blowing. I was moved, I literally felt like I was floating as obama challenged us and enlightened us about how we americans can do anything. With tears flowing and a face beaming with pride knowing that this is such a special time in history to be led by greatness...how lucky we are as we all won tonight together united in hope and change...
    Caitlyn Strong...

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: State of the Union Address

    I watched the first 30% of the speech and then got bored.

    More platitudes, more BS. I am so tired of hearing Presidents speak. They always say a different version of the same thing. Why even bother?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •