Page 134 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #1331
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Funny, I grew up a Conservative Democrat, a JFK Democrat and the Democratic Party left me. There is no room in today's Democratic Party for a Conservative. The Party of Pelosi, Reid, and Obama is the most liberal and anti Reagan party in U.S. History
    Agreed...both the major parties have dug in and become enemies, rather than partners in making my life better. Quite simply put, they are very bad at the jobs WE hired them for. Picking a "Side" makes this situation no better, and in fact likely perpetrates it. Instead, I prefer to pick the best available...and hope it works.

  2. #1332
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The only ones that cannot get a job in two years seems to be someone who believes it is the role of the taxpayer to fund their existence.
    You mean our poor seniors and disabled? What is your beef with them. Everyone else works and pay taxes.

    You do realize that in that same PREAMBLE is the Following PROVIDE for the Common Defense. Notice the difference?
    That is probably why we don't provide welfare to everyone, ya think?

    Also pay attention to the word defense, its not become world conqueror, its defense!

    You think people keeping more of what they earn helps promote their own personal welfare?
    I thought that for all of the last 30 years when we spent more on the military than we could pay for with our taxes?
    you think that people giving money to charity is better spent that Federal dollars and actually provides better compassion.
    Charity is already doing what it can, and it isn't enough.

    Simply paying people a living wage for full time work is the only workable alternative to welfare.

    All Romney is promising is higher spending and further cutting tax rates for the rich. The GOP formula for the same deficit spending they have brought us for the last 30 years.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #1333
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Promote does not mean provide, now does it?
    In Article I, Section 8, "provide" means "provide."


    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and
    Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare
    of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform
    throughout the United States;

  4. #1334
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Catawba;1060159508]You mean our poor seniors and disabled? What is your beef with them. Everyone else works and pay taxes.
    No beef at all, how many are there and do we need a 3.8 trillion dollar budget to take care of those truly in need? Like far too many you use a broad brush and assume that all the money going to "help" People is indeed needed and of course no one abuses the system, do they?

    That is probably why we don't provide welfare to everyone, ya think?

    Also pay attention to the word defense, its not become world conqueror, its defense!
    Is that what you were taught, that we should provide welfare to everyone and who is "we?" Is this a Federal or State Responsibility? Can that be better handled by state, local, charities, and churches vs. the Federal govt?

    You really have a problem with defense but apparently not a problem with the amount wasted on social programs. Better put things into perspective

    We have been hammered with the propaganda that it was the Iraq war and the war on terror that is bankrupting us.

    That's RIDICULOUS. Here's 14 good reasons why!
    Bankruptcy 101…Why Arizona did the right thing!!

    I thought that for all of the last 30 years when we spent more on the military than we could pay for with our taxes?
    You thought wrong, there is more than enough tax revenue at current rates to pay for our military and the true role of the Federal Govt. I suggest you go to the U.S. Treasury website and educate yourself


    Charity is already doing what it can, and it isn't enough.

    Simply paying people a living wage for full time work is the only workable alternative to welfare.

    All Romney is promising is higher spending and further cutting tax rates for the rich. The GOP formula for the same deficit spending they have brought us for the last 30 years.
    How do you know charity isn't enough? Social problems are state and local problems and when you spend your money locally you at least know where it goes.

    Living wage argument again? Define living wage and then define who is going to pay the price those wages are going to demand so that a profit can be made or should business be in business to break even?

    I don't have a problem with anything Romney is proposing for you see, Romney is the kind of person I always strived to be and one that understands that it is the people's money first not the Federal governments

  5. #1335
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No beef at all, how many are there and do we need a 3.8 trillion dollar budget to take care of those truly in need? Like far too many you use a broad brush and assume that all the money going to "help" People is indeed needed and of course no one abuses the system, do they?

    Not as many as rich people who abuse the tax system. And no one is interested in your made up numbers.


    Is that what you were taught, that we should provide welfare to everyone and who is "we?" Is this a Federal or State Responsibility? Can that be better handled by state, local, charities, and churches vs. the Federal govt?
    Its been handled by the states since the 90's for those a couple decades behind.


    You really have a problem with defense but apparently not a problem with the amount wasted on social programs. Better put things into perspective
    Money wasted on defense helps no one. Money spent on making our people and our economy stronger benefits everyone.




    You thought wrong, there is more than enough tax revenue at current rates to pay for our military and the true role of the Federal Govt. I suggest you go to the U.S. Treasury website and educate yourself
    Then don't come crying to me that you want to cut senior benefits to pay for that debt.



    How do you know charity isn't enough? Social problems are state and local problems and when you spend your money locally you at least know where it goes.
    If it was working we wouldn't have 50 million people living in poverty at the same time the wealth at the top as quadrupled.

    Living wage argument again? Define living wage and then define who is going to pay the price those wages are going to demand so that a profit can be made or should business be in business to break even?
    A living wage is what a person requires to live above the poverty line, pay taxes and not require welfare for subsistence. It only requires the people at the top to share enough of the profit made by their laborers for them with the laborers so that they do not require tax payer assistance to live above poverty.

    I don't have a problem with anything Romney is proposing for you see, Romney is the kind of person I always strived to be and one that understands that it is the people's money first not the Federal governments
    Romney is proposing the same excessive spending and revenue reduction that George W. did. Just got to have you some more of that, eh?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #1336
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    If that's true, why haven't health care costs fallen in the many states that have enacted tort reform? Why are health care costs in those states rising just as fast as they are in states that haven't enacted tort reform?
    First, why don't you show some substantiation of what you are talking about? Second, how long has it been since the first of those states passed such tort reform? Third, what is your explanation for the rise in health care costs?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #1337
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Catawba;1060159596]Not as many as rich people who abuse the tax system. And no one is interested in your made up numbers.
    Once you get rid of all those rich people who is going to fund your liberal spending appetite? As has been pointed out to you over and over again but apparently it doesn't sink in there aren't enough rich people to make a dent in the deficit or the debt. We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem anyway and your comments make you a waste of time because facts, logic, and common sense have no place in your world

    Its been handled by the states since the 90's for those a couple decades behind.
    Since it has been handled by the states why do we need to increase Federal Income taxes?

    Money wasted on defense helps no one. Money spent on making our people and our economy stronger benefits everyone.
    Obviously you are right, it gives you the right to make a fool of yourself which is indeed a waste of money

    Then don't come crying to me that you want to cut senior benefits to pay for that debt.
    As a senior now, I grew up learning personal responsibility and not to depend on you for my own expenses. Too bad you haven't seemed to learn that concept.


    If it was working we wouldn't have 50 million people living in poverty at the same time the wealth at the top as quadrupled.
    50 million live at or below the poverty level which makes their income middle class in most other countries of the world. How did those rich people put any of those 50 million into poverty and how can the trillions spent on social programs not solve that problem so you claim we need more?

    A living wage is what a person requires to live above the poverty line, pay taxes and not require welfare for subsistence. It only requires the people at the top to share enough of the profit made by their laborers for them with the laborers so that they do not require tax payer assistance to live above poverty.
    Who are you to decide what another person requires to live above the poverty line and what prevents them from earning more? You want the people to share what they earn? Where did you learn that concept. you want me to write you a check each month? No thanks, I am taking care of my family. As for taking care of others, rich people give more to charity and their churches which must drive you crazy. Keep promoting a bigger central govt. to take over that responsibility then you can continue to whine and complain about poor results.


    Romney is proposing the same excessive spending and revenue reduction that George W. did. Just got to have you some more of that, eh?
    Interesting that govt. revenue didn't drop until 2008 and after the Democrats took over Congress. Also interesting that Bush grew GDP from 9.9 trillion to 14.2 trillion in 8 years but those facts escape you. you are indeed a waste of time.

  8. #1338
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    In Article I, Section 8, "provide" means "provide."


    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and
    Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare
    of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform
    throughout the United States;
    Define Domestic Welfare because the Constitution Dictionary doesn't seem to agree with you

    The Constitutional Dictionary - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

    Welfare

    welfare n. 1. health, happiness, or prosperity; well-being. [<MEwel faren, to fare well] Source: AHD
    Welfare in today's context also means organized efforts on the part of public or private organizations to benefit the poor, or simply public assistance. This is not the meaning of the word as used in the Constitution.

  9. #1339
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Once you get rid of all those rich people who is going to fund your liberal spending appetite? As has been pointed out to you over and over again but apparently it doesn't sink in there aren't enough rich people to make a dent in the deficit or the debt. We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem anyway and your comments make you a waste of time because facts, logic, and common sense have no place in your world
    Why don't you get over the 90's were socialism crap? No one is buying it except the fringe tea party crowd.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #1340
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Why don't you get over the 90's were socialism crap? No one is buying it except the fringe tea party crowd.
    Will be happy to do that when you get over your anti rich jealousy and envy. Do you really think that those evil rich people are going to fund your liberal spending appetite? If you raise their taxes enough low tax states are going to benefit and that is really going to destroy your state revenue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •