Page 13 of 159 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #121
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Watching Obama give the State of the Union Address tonight just underlined what a lame bunch of no-nothing right wing hacks he has running against him. Seriously, this collection of losers is the best the Republicans can come up with, which indeed is a sad indictment of what has happened to the party of Lincoln.
    The GOP of today is nothing like the Republican party of Lincoln.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #122
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    No, he's not running this year ... but his party is. This would be a bad time for America to forget how badly Republicans ****ed this nation.
    At least Republicans realize we need to increase domestic oil production. At least Republicans realize we need to deport illegal immigrants. At least Republicans pay taxes to keep this country going.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    The Democrats were warned many time, but still fought regulation of the Home Loan Banks and F&F.
    But that was years earlier when Democrats weren't even in charge of the Congress. You pointed out how the unemployment rate went from 4.6% to 7.8% between the time they took over and the time Obama took over ...

    Well ... how was that their fault? Blaming a member of the minority party who did not have any power to stop the Republican party in charge from pushing forward with their agenda is not going to cut it. What bills did Democrats pass or what bills did they fail to pass that you believe caused the recession?

    Republicans were in charge ... how is it not their fault?? Weren't they the ones running the country??

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    08-25-16 @ 08:31 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,265

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post

    At least Republicans realize we need to increase domestic oil production. At least Republicans realize we need to deport illegal immigrants. At least Republicans pay taxes to keep this country going.
    Republicans controlled the executive branch, the House, and the Senate back in the 1920's ... that resulted in the worst economy in U.S. history. Republicans were given that much power again in 2001 ... similar results but fortunately, not as bad.

  5. #125
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Obama claimed exactly the same thing about Buffett's tax rate, as I did about Romney earlier today.

    And I stand by the claim - Anyone that gets their income primarily from investment, like Romney and Buffett, due to the low capital gains tax rate, and virtually no payroll taxes is going to be paying a lower rate than the average person of middle class who is required to pay both income tax and payroll tax on their entire income.

    "The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center has crunched the numbers and found that Warren Buffett and his secretary are the exception to the rule. For the most part, the wealthy pay a significantly higher percentage of their income in taxes than middle-income workers.

    The key numbers: this year those earning over $1 million will pay, on average, 29.1 percent on federal taxes. Those earning between $50,000 and $75,000 will pay 15 percent.

    That’s not to say that there aren’t wealthy people who are even better than Buffett at avoiding taxes. In 2009, 1,470 people with incomes over $1 million a year paid absolutely no taxes. But that represents less than 1 percent of those earning over $1 million a year. Raising their taxes may be the fair thing to do, but it will not bring in much revenue.

    There were 236,883 taxpayers who earned more than $1 million in 2009. That’s less than two-tenths of one percent of all filers.

    The Top 400 tax filers – the very richest Americans – do pay a lower rate of just 18.11 percent of their total income. Why? Many of them are hedge fund managers and people like Buffet — their income is pegged how much their investment fund grows. For some reason, this income is counted as so-called “carried interest” (even though it is not interest at all; it’s more like a performance bonus) and is taxed at the lower 15 percent capital gains rate."
    http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...ies-and-taxes/



    Good thing you didn't take that bet Maggie!
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #126
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    But that was years earlier when Democrats weren't even in charge of the Congress. You pointed out how the unemployment rate went from 4.6% to 7.8% between the time they took over and the time Obama took over ...

    Well ... how was that their fault? Blaming a member of the minority party who did not have any power to stop the Republican party in charge from pushing forward with their agenda is not going to cut it. What bills did Democrats pass or what bills did they fail to pass that you believe caused the recession?

    Republicans were in charge ... how is it not their fault?? Weren't they the ones running the country??
    Please point out where they had a super majority and could go around the Democrat Obstructionists? The best they could get past was Sarbanes/Oxley and we can now look back and see just how effective that was. Fact is the Republicans majority in both Houses was razor thin and simply couldn't pass anything without Democrat approval. I'll retrieve the political make up of both houses for what ever year you want, just name the year.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  7. #127
    User The Dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    09-07-12 @ 02:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    133

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post
    Please point out where they had a super majority and could go around the Democrat Obstructionists? The best they could get past was Sarbanes/Oxley and we can now look back and see just how effective that was. Fact is the Republicans majority in both Houses was razor thin and simply couldn't pass anything without Democrat approval. I'll retrieve the political make up of both houses for what ever year you want, just name the year.
    And yet now, the republicans have congress and the democrats have the president, and the blame is still on the democrats.
    Last edited by The Dragon; 01-25-12 at 02:40 AM.
    When you talk about the Republican candidates, you have to say "Mitt or Newt," else you'll have to say "Neuter Mitt."

  8. #128
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Actually I think you could sell tickets to watch Boehner getting a colonoscopy.
    Would that be done on a tanning bed?

  9. #129
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Hey, look...

    George W. Bush's budget director is lecturing the President about fiscal responsibility...


    Do as I say, not what I do...

  10. #130
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbuti View Post
    No doubt, this is your idea of a great speech ...


    Come on Sheik, that's what Con would post, but about Obama.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •