Page 101 of 159 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1582

Thread: State of the Union Address

  1. #1001
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,400

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    Then maybe YOU can help me. Just so I understand, a company generates revenue from a change in ‘owners’ of money. If I own stock in a company and they make a profit isn’t some miniscule portion of that profit mine? The company pays tax on that profit (including my miniscule part). They then MAY distribute any remaining in dividend (which represents my miniscule part of the original PRETAX profit) to me which I pay tax on. How is the ORIGINAL transfer of money not taxed twice?
    Sorry wrong answer. The dividends you received were expenses that your "company" deducted from their profits and reduced their taxes. So you paid taxes on them since to you they were "profits". The money was taxed only one time.

  2. #1002
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,793

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Sorry wrong answer. The dividends you received were expenses that your "company" deducted from their profits and reduced their taxes. So you paid taxes on them since to you they were "profits". The money was taxed only one time.
    YOU ARE CLAIMING THAT DIVIDENDS are deducted as expenses before corporate profit taxes were applied

    LOL

  3. #1003
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Sorry wrong answer. The dividends you received were expenses that your "company" deducted from their profits and reduced their taxes. So you paid taxes on them since to you they were "profits". The money was taxed only one time.
    HUH? Dividends are distributed pre-tax? Can you substantiate this?

  4. #1004
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,816

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Sorry but I don't buy that line about higher taxes reducing investment either. People play the stock market to make money and that won't change with higher taxes. Bsdes the taxes are not on "risk" they are only paid on PROFITS.
    Yeah because there is no way that taxes could be taken from wages paid out rather than PROFITS. Unintended consequences are a bitch.

  5. #1005
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so that is how you justify the government taking more from those who have paid far more than their share?
    No, I think that was his response to the Republican argument that raising the LTCG rate would stunt investment. What is the justification for taxing LTCG differently than other income?

  6. #1006
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,793

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, I think that was his response to the Republican argument that raising the LTCG rate would stunt investment. What is the justification for taxing LTCG differently than other income?
    asked and answered so many times I must conclude you are trying to disrupt the thread

  7. #1007
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so that is how you justify the government taking more from those who have paid far more than their share?
    I know the middle class do pay a lot via regressive taxes. Why put more on them?

  8. #1008
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    asked and answered so many times I must conclude you are trying to disrupt the thread
    Forgive me for not flipping through all 100 pages to uncover your pearls of wisdom.

    And God knows you hate to repeat yourself.

  9. #1009
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,793

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I know the middle class do pay a lot via regressive taxes. Why put more on them?
    you labour under the delusion that the current level of spending is necessary and proper

  10. #1010
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,793

    Re: State of the Union Address

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Forgive me for not flipping through all 100 pages to uncover your pearls of wisdom.

    And God knows you hate to repeat yourself.
    Sometimes searching for the answer yourself will lead to more enlightenment than having a wise man spoon feed you the answer. You are familiar with the socratic method I assume?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •