Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 127

Thread: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #31
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    And gay people are in fact, people too.
    They not from Uranus?


    j.k j/k j/k j/k

  2. #32
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Which is exactly why religious arguments regarding homosexuality should be disregarded entirely. It's nice to see that some conservatives understand that
    Well, in fairness, I think this is one of those situations that illuminates the difference between separation of church and state and separation of religion and politics. I completely respect a person's right to vote on the issues according to those beliefs. Now I may not buy their rationale/arguments for the way they choose to vote, but they should have a right to vote according to their own beliefs. It's just incumbent upon the rest of us to change their minds if that's what it's gonna take.

  3. #33
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    They not from Uranus?


    j.k j/k j/k j/k
    I wish I were gay. So much easier to get laid. And for women? I mean, come on. Women are hot. Who wouldn't choose to be attracted to women? Being gay a choice? Hah, if that were true we'd all be gay.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #34
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I wish I were gay. So much easier to get laid. And for women? I mean, come on. Women are hot. Who wouldn't choose to be attracted to women? Being gay a choice? Hah, if that were true we'd all be gay.
    LOL I've had the same thoughts before.

  5. #35
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I wish I were gay. So much easier to get laid. And for women? I mean, come on. Women are hot. Who wouldn't choose to be attracted to women? Being gay a choice? Hah, if that were true we'd all be gay.
    Can't say the same. I'm not man enough to take it up the ass.

  6. #36
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Well, in fairness, I think this is one of those situations that illuminates the difference between separation of church and state and separation of religion and politics. I completely respect a person's right to vote on the issues according to those beliefs. Now I may not buy their rationale/arguments for the way they choose to vote, but they should have a right to vote according to their own beliefs. It's just incumbent upon the rest of us to change their minds if that's what it's gonna take.
    I disagree. Separation of Church and State means that state laws will not be based on religious laws. No matter how many people choose to vote for it because of their religion, bacon should never be banned in this country. If you want to take away a right of mine, you must demonstrate a secular reason for doing so, based on how that activity might cause harm to others.

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Can't say the same. I'm not man enough to take it up the ass.
    But if you were gay you might think it was the greatest thing ever! Think of how awesome THAT would be.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #37
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Which is exactly why religious arguments regarding homosexuality should be disregarded entirely. It's nice to see that some conservatives understand that

    Lets try and get things straight here. Here is a basic, biological standard. Any form of sex other than heterosexual, vaginal sex between fertile adults is an aberration to one degree or another. A liking or desire for any other kind of sex is a "defect" whether it is learned behavior or genetic.

    I'm using fairly strong terms to get the point across. If we're being strictly honest here, getting a blowjob or a rim job may be a great fun moment, but it doesn't procreate the species. Everything other than the basic is allowed, encouraged or discouraged based on cultural norms. That makes them subjectively, not objectively good or bad. I find the behavior to be abhorrent

    That said...If they don't flaunt their sexual preferences or practices. It is a part of their life, but not what the primary. Same for me. So in my book, that makes us people and we get along with no problems. In this respect, we are complying with our societal norms.

    No problem

  8. #38
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I disagree that the state of Georgia has any right to discriminate on the basis of gender. I don't see Georgia as being any more justified in preventing two women from marrying than they are from preventing two women from voting. "Marriage is a basic civil right of man, fundamental to our very existence," says the supreme court. Hell, it's more important than voting, going by that.
    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I was with you up until you said "leave it up to the states." I think gay marriage should be legalized across the board, both because I believe it's the right thing to do and for consistency's sake. It would be a bitch for a couple's marriage to be recognized in one state and not recognized in another if they choose to move for whatever reason. And what about military couples, whose spousal benefits are determined and disbursed by the federal government?
    Obviously there is that inconsistency currently. I you are gay and marry in DC (the closest place to Georgia where it is legal) your marriage is not a marriage in the eyes of the State of Georgia. I hold drastically different views than most gay people. I think intolerance should be tolerated. If you don't like it, move to another state. I have that choice. I choose not to.

    People have the right to be intolerant. And if there are enough intolerent people in a certain state, and they don't wish for their state to issue marriage licenses to SS couples, that's just how the process works. And if the process is left alone, it will work. People choose. And progress comes. I just believe there is some value in moderating progress. A whole country full of liberals would be end up being a country that is far from free- a country so dependent on their government that freedom is less important than basic subsistence. The intolerent people are the people who are holding the country back from moving too fast toward social and financial progressiveness (which is not necessarily the same as progress). The ebb and flow- the resistance of the people to change- is one of the ways this country has prevented major mistakes and has survived and flourished.

    Change will come in time. I don't believe in rushing it by means of federal intervention. States rights are far more important and far reaching than the issue of SSM.

  9. #39
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Lets try and get things straight here. Here is a basic, biological standard. Any form of sex other than heterosexual, vaginal sex between fertile adults is an aberration to one degree or another. A liking or desire for any other kind of sex is a "defect" whether it is learned behavior or genetic.

    I'm using fairly strong terms to get the point across. If we're being strictly honest here, getting a blowjob or a rim job may be a great fun moment, but it doesn't procreate the species. Everything other than the basic is allowed, encouraged or discouraged based on cultural norms. That makes them subjectively, not objectively good or bad. I find the behavior to be abhorrent

    That said...If they don't flaunt their sexual preferences or practices. It is a part of their life, but not what the primary. Same for me. So in my book, that makes us people and we get along with no problems. In this respect, we are complying with our societal norms.

    No problem
    No it's not. At least not necessarily for those reasons. You have arbitrarily attached the labels of "aberration" and "defect" to homosexuality based on a bull**** assumption about the nature of sexual behavior and human biology.

  10. #40
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    Obviously there is that inconsistency currently. I you are gay and marry in DC (the closest place to Georgia where it is legal) your marriage is not a marriage in the eyes of the State of Georgia. I hold drastically different views than most gay people. I think intolerance should be tolerated. If you don't like it, move to another state. I have that choice. I choose not to.

    People have the right to be intolerant. And if there are enough intolerent people in a certain state, and they don't wish for their state to issue marriage licenses to SS couples, that's just how the process works. And if the process is left alone, it will work. People choose. And progress comes. I just believe there is some value in moderating progress. A whole country full of liberals would be end up being a country that is far from free- a country so dependent on their government that freedom is less important than basic subsistence. The intolerent people are the people who are holding the country back from moving too fast toward social and financial progressiveness (which is not necessarily the same as progress). The ebb and flow- the resistance of the people to change- is one of the ways this country has prevented major mistakes and has survived and flourished.

    Change will come in time. I don't believe in rushing it by means of federal intervention. States rights are far more important and far reaching than the issue of SSM.
    I think that's true up to an extent. Hence the whole notion of the importance of minority rights vs. that of majority rule. I see the explicit banning of SSM on the part of the states as a clear breach of the 14th Amendment.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •