Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 127

Thread: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    *If* homosexuality is a choice or not??....but I do know I have been told by many, many homosexuals that if it is proven to be genetic, they do not support a search for a cure.
    Why would I want to cure something that does not need fixing?
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  2. #22
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Skin color is genetic. If you were black, would you support a cure for blackness? Or would you find that offensive?
    To be fair, homosexuality being purely genetic is not something that is conclusively proven. At best estimate, it appears to be a sort of combination of genetic and environmental factors. (which doesn't make it a conscious choice)

    Still irrelevant in my opinion. If I should one day decide I want to marry a dude instead of a chick, who the hell are you to say no? Unlikely, though, I happen to think women are the best thing ever, especially the boobs. But hey, you never know right?

    edit: The poster above agrees with me. Why would you take this from us?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    To be fair, homosexuality being purely genetic is not something that is conclusively proven. At best estimate, it appears to be a sort of combination of genetic and environmental factors. (which doesn't make it a conscious choice)
    It is mostly decided before you're born. There are degrees and a bi-sexual person could go either way. See Cynthia Nixon thread.

  4. #24
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    To be fair, homosexuality being purely genetic is not something that is conclusively proven. At best estimate, it appears to be a sort of combination of genetic and environmental factors. (which doesn't make it a conscious choice)
    I agree. However, my response was taking into the account the assumption "if it were proven to be genetic" as ric stated in his post.

    Still irrelevant in my opinion. If I should one day decide I want to marry a dude instead of a chick, who the hell are you to say no? Unlikely, though, I happen to think women are the best thing ever, especially the boobs. But hey, you never know right?
    100% concur. I dunno what I'd do without boobs in the world. God is awesome.

  5. #25
    Educator

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 12:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    *If* homosexuality is a choice or not??....but I do know I have been told by many, many homosexuals that if it is proven to be genetic, they do not support a search for a cure.
    You have to be kidding me, right? If it is genetic, therefore it is a disease? I bet you don't consider your green eyes a disease. LOL. Or your heterosexuality. And what are you doing talking to many, many homosexuals? LOL. Does your wife know?

    Conservatives have generally been opposed to gay rights as homosexuality has been seen as a choice. Because marriage is seen by religious people as a sacrament with God, there has been opposition to allowing equal marriages between gays because most religions classify homosexual behavior as a sin.
    And most religions consider divorce a sin. And sodomy- even if you are married. And in fundamental Christianity, all sins are equal, whether you lie or commit a murder. All "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 8:28 I think)" so if everyone sins, and all sins are equal, where is the difference between me and you?

    I'm gay but I am not an activist. I'm pretty right leaning actually, except with regard to social issues... but I completely reject anyone's notion that the federal government should be involved in this discussion at all. It should be left to the states. We don't need ANY new laws. We just need to repeal old ones. We have over governed at the federal level. If states choose to be intolerant, that's ok with me. I'm gay and I live in Georgia- by choice. And I'm getting married to my partner of three years this summer. Marriage, to us, has absolutely nothing to do with the government. Who cares what they say.

  6. #26
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    You have to be kidding me, right? If it is genetic, therefore it is a disease? I bet you don't consider your green eyes a disease. LOL. Or your heterosexuality. And what are you doing talking to many, many homosexuals? LOL. Does your wife know?



    And most religions consider divorce a sin. And sodomy- even if you are married. And in fundamental Christianity, all sins are equal, whether you lie or commit a murder. All "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 8:28 I think)" so if everyone sins, and all sins are equal, where is the difference between me and you?

    I'm gay but I am not an activist. I'm pretty right leaning actually, except with regard to social issues... but I completely reject anyone's notion that the federal government should be involved in this discussion at all. It should be left to the states. We don't need ANY new laws. We just need to repeal old ones. We have over governed at the federal level. If states choose to be intolerant, that's ok with me. I'm gay and I live in Georgia- by choice. And I'm getting married to my partner of three years this summer. Marriage, to us, has absolutely nothing to do with the government. Who cares what they say.
    I disagree that the state of Georgia has any right to discriminate on the basis of gender. I don't see Georgia as being any more justified in preventing two women from marrying than they are from preventing two women from voting. "Marriage is a basic civil right of man, fundamental to our very existence," says the supreme court. Hell, it's more important than voting, going by that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #27
    Sage
    ric27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    06-15-17 @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,539

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Luckily our constitution calls for separation of church and state.

    Therefore your beliefs and mythologies have no business at the marriage license window at city hall.
    We do not live in a theocracy, hazlnut. Remember...its, the government of the United States (of the People, by the People and for the People)

  8. #28
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by kamikaze483 View Post
    You have to be kidding me, right? If it is genetic, therefore it is a disease? I bet you don't consider your green eyes a disease. LOL. Or your heterosexuality. And what are you doing talking to many, many homosexuals? LOL. Does your wife know?



    And most religions consider divorce a sin. And sodomy- even if you are married. And in fundamental Christianity, all sins are equal, whether you lie or commit a murder. All "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 8:28 I think)" so if everyone sins, and all sins are equal, where is the difference between me and you?

    I'm gay but I am not an activist. I'm pretty right leaning actually, except with regard to social issues... but I completely reject anyone's notion that the federal government should be involved in this discussion at all. It should be left to the states. We don't need ANY new laws. We just need to repeal old ones. We have over governed at the federal level. If states choose to be intolerant, that's ok with me. I'm gay and I live in Georgia- by choice. And I'm getting married to my partner of three years this summer. Marriage, to us, has absolutely nothing to do with the government. Who cares what they say.
    I was with you up until you said "leave it up to the states." I think gay marriage should be legalized across the board, both because I believe it's the right thing to do and for consistency's sake. It would be a bitch for a couple's marriage to be recognized in one state and not recognized in another if they choose to move for whatever reason. And what about military couples, whose spousal benefits are determined and disbursed by the federal government?

  9. #29
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,361

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    We do not live in a theocracy, hazlnut. Remember...its, the government of the United States (of the People, by the People and for the People)
    And gay people are in fact, people too.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  10. #30
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,785

    Re: Wash. has enough votes to legalize gay marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    We do not live in a theocracy, hazlnut. Remember...its, the government of the United States (of the People, by the People and for the People)
    Which is exactly why religious arguments regarding homosexuality should be disregarded entirely. It's nice to see that some conservatives understand that
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •