Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 271 to 274 of 274

Thread: Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R) Detained by TSA.

  1. #271
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R) Detained by TSA.

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Legally you think the government could search random people on the streets, it would just be impractical?
    What do you mean "just" impractical? I don't recall using the word "just" so I would like you to clarify what you mean by using it and what you inferred from my argument that makes you think I meant to use it.

    To search a person there still has to be "reasonable suspicion". A random alarm is never going to be ruled a "reasonable suspicion".
    No there doesn't (not in all cases).

    United States v. Arnold, 523 F.3d 941 (9th Cir. 2008), is a United States court case in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit held that the Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution does not require government agents to have reasonable suspicion before searching laptops or other digital devices at the border, including international airports.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...sonable_search
    I suspect that the same thing would be ruled for domestic flights and people going through metal detectors.

  2. #272
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R) Detained by TSA.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    What do you mean "just" impractical? I don't recall using the word "just" so I would like you to clarify what you mean by using it and what you inferred from my argument that makes you think I meant to use it.
    Sorry, I was very clear in what I said and what I asked. You simply do not want to answer.

    No there doesn't (not in all cases).
    Please, find me the law that states that.

    I suspect that the same thing would be ruled for domestic flights and people going through metal detectors.
    I enjoy discussing topics like this but it gets old when people don't read what you wrote and reply based upon what was said. I clearly said that the courts have ruled that a persons property can be searched. They were just as clear that it does not extend to the person without a reasonable suspicion.

  3. #273
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R) Detained by TSA.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    How does being okay with expansion of government mean that people aren't dedicated to freedom? All you've shown is that people aren't dedicated to your definition of freedom. However, people not guarding freedom as you see it does not mean that they are dedicated to the fight nor does it mean that they will let the United States go to the 'other side'.
    Incorrect. People allowing expansion of government against our rights and liberties is evidence of non-dedication to keeping freedom; as acts of government necessarily must be constrained to proper roles else freedom is lost.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Unfortunately, our Constitution is not black and white. It requires interpretation. So again, your making unfounded assumptions about people simply because they disagree with your definition of freedom and in turn, your interpretation of rights in the Constitution.
    There is some interpretation, but it doesn't change base rights. People have varying opinions in comfort, but a right is a right.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Your argument fits that definition, but I don't fear anything about you or it since I know that you're in the minority.
    Yet it wasn't a slippery slope argument. Just because you keep trying to say it is, doesn't make it so.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    No, you argued exactly what I said you argued - that we'll let the government do anything:
    Not let the government do anything, but so long as their tomorrow is the same as today, as demonstrated by current action.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Unless you have proof that the TSA has not increased the safety of Americans, then your 'statistics' are irrelevant to your absolute, "the TSA is unnecessary". Good luck stating your opinions as facts.
    You don't understand how proof is made. If TSA has increased my safety, then it will be reflected statistically. If statistically my probabilities have not changed, it cannot be said that TSA has increased my safety. It could in fact have no more affect than procedures already in place. Even if statistically my probabilities decreased, that decrease cannot be said to be attributed to TSA without supporting evidence.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  4. #274
    User
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-13-12 @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    93

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    How did he do any of that? He just got searched. Big deal.
    He refused a physical search and made the public aware of the inconsistency and capriciousness of the TSA's search methods.

    Brian

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •