Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 274

Thread: Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R) Detained by TSA.

  1. #131
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Yes j-mac. I'm more concerned over those who take positions based upon what party is currently in power as opposed to terrorists. This has gone both ways.

    Yeah, I see what you mean, and I am probably guilty of that as well...But at some point we must stop the madness.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Then I guess you're willing to ignore all the options terrorists might take for the sake of maintaining your argument. We're talking about people who train 10 year olds to kill people. The idea that they wouldn't put some weapon on an eight year old is preposterous.
    More so than drive up to a building with a car full of explosives? You didn't address your thoughts there.

    Aside from the fact that I think making this a matter of 'giving up our freedom' is hyperbolic, you admit that senators are at risk for being terrorists which makes your original statement that they are "absolutely no risk" false which is what I was looking for.
    I believe the risk is so small to make it not a risk at all. It's like me admitting that there is a risk that I will get hit by a piece of space rubble. Actually, I'd guess that is more likely.

  3. #133
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    More so than drive up to a building with a car full of explosives? You didn't address your thoughts there.
    I think terrorists are willing to try anything to get their goals accomplished including your example. If they want to get as much damage done as AQ did on 9/11, then I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't consider putting weapons on some 8 year old to get it done. Consequently, the idea that an 8 year old absolutely poses no threat is wrong.

    I believe the risk is so small to make it not a risk at all. It's like me admitting that there is a risk that I will get hit by a piece of space rubble. Actually, I'd guess that is more likely.
    We just disagree then. I fly sometimes and the amount of security that I have to deal with is so incredibly minimal that if it helps to prevent the rare event that someone in my plane wants to fly it into the Empire State building, I'm fine with it.

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I think terrorists are willing to try anything to get their goals accomplished including your example. If they want to get as much damage done as AQ did on 9/11, then I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't consider putting weapons on some 8 year old to get it done. Consequently, the idea that an 8 year old absolutely poses no threat is wrong.
    An 8 year old could never have pulled off 9-11. If we randomly search people, why not vehicles?

    We just disagree then. I fly sometimes and the amount of security that I have to deal with is so incredibly minimal that if it helps to prevent the rare event that someone in my plane wants to fly it into the Empire State building, I'm fine with it.
    I believe the idea of searching people who have done nothing wrong nor are suspected of doing anything is a much bigger picture arguement.

  5. #135
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Well, first of all, he wasn't arrested. Secondly, what makes you think he was headed to or returning from Washington, DC? Now, you may say, "Yes, but he was "detained!" He wouldn't have been detained had he turned around and left the airport. Congress Critters are not immune.
    Even Judge Napolitona made the point. Don't play word games Maggie, detain is enough of the same thing. They stop him from traveling to Washington. Nuff said. This doesn't not look good. Maybe they should scan Barack, Michelle and the kids before climbing aboard AF1. I'll bet that's happening, amiright?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #136
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    An 8 year old could never have pulled off 9-11. If we randomly search people, why not vehicles?
    I never said an 8 year old could pull off 9/11. I said, "I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't consider putting weapons on some 8 year old" who wouldn't get checked.

    And they do check cars in certain areas just like they check people in certain areas.

    I believe the idea of searching people who have done nothing wrong nor are suspected of doing anything is a much bigger picture arguement.
    If people were searched everywhere they go, then yes, that would be a problem. But they aren't. Like I said, the security checks I go through at airports are not a big deal considering what they might be preventing.

  7. #137
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wasn't it liberals who largely during the initial patriot act kerfuffle were exclaiming such lofty pronouncements as 'no liberty for security', and 'we must not change our every day lives, or terrorists win'....Quoting founders like Franklin, and screaming how Bush was a Nazi for enacting such a draconian measure. But somehow, now it's all just fine, in fact justifying the physical search by low trained, barely screened boobs off the street? This leaves me with one conclusion that is clear...

    When the wire tapping issue was there under Bush, oh it was a travesty because it was the actual enemy it was targeting, and liberals had a cow because it was true that they wanted defeat for Bush. Now that it is TSA, and Obama in power, it is perfectly fine for unconstitutional, and extra constitutional things to be considered because after this is Obama in the office for God's sake. We MUST give him what ever he wants, even if the real enemy in his eyes are the American people, and this country's very premise.

    j-mac
    1. Wiretapping and airport security are separate topics. I don't know why you think that someone can be fine with one and not the other, or fine with one under certain restrictions and not the other, etc..

    2. You obviously missed it when individual liberal citizens (many on this board) and 'liberal' organizations lambasted Obama for supporting warrant-less wiretapping and detention of individuals (potentially citizens) without a trial. In other words, the whole idea that those who had a problem with Bush don't have the same problem with Obama is just you perpetuating hackish nonsense.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I never said an 8 year old could pull off 9/11. I said, "I see absolutely no reason why they wouldn't consider putting weapons on some 8 year old" who wouldn't get checked.

    And they do check cars in certain areas just like they check people in certain areas.
    Sounds like something else I should get upset about. Where are they randomly searching vehicles?

    If people were searched everywhere they go, then yes, that would be a problem. But they aren't. Like I said, the security checks I go through at airports are not a big deal considering what they might be preventing.
    Your Constitutional Right against search and seizure does not grant exemptions like this.

  9. #139
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    What is Paul's suggestion? He wants to defund TSA to save money as well. So what is it replaced with, because anything that's done will cost money.
    Whatever we had before; go back to that, it's much cheaper.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  10. #140
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Sen. Rand Paul ‘detained’ by TSA in Nashville, TSA denies

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim17 View Post
    the TSA we acting like asses.
    The TSA? Acting like asses? No, why that's never happened ever at any time anywhere. They're here for our protection, why would they be asses?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •