Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 274

Thread: Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R) Detained by TSA.

  1. #121
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    How is it different? There was absolutely no chance he was carrying a bomb or weapon.
    If they knew he was a senator then they were legally wrong. I don't see anywhere that they were aware of that however. To say any adult, elected official or not, could not possibly be carrying a weapon is a strange assertion. You do have laws protecting the former however, contingent on this specific situation.

    I'd wager most other passengers slowed down by his antics weren't quite ready to don their V for Vendetta masks in support of him.

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    How is it different? There was absolutely no chance he was carrying a bomb or weapon.
    That's not true. It's also not true that a young girl would absolutely not being carrying a bomb or weapon. There is a chance for everyone. In fact, if I were a terrorist, I would choose the least likely people to get a pat down to smuggle what I need through. It's this kind of lackadaisical attitude towards security that puts us at a greater risk.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    If they knew he was a senator then they were legally wrong. I don't see anywhere that they were aware of that however. To say any adult, elected official or not, could not possibly be carrying a weapon is a strange assertion. You do have laws protecting the former however, contingent on this specific situation.

    I'd wager most other passengers slowed down by his antics weren't quite ready to don their V for Vendetta masks in support of him.
    He steps back and pulls up his pants leg and shows them and then requests to step back through the scanner. He was told no. Paul is stating that it's because of random alarms that go off even when there is no indication of a problem.

    Things would have went even faster if he would have been allowed to simply pass through the scanner again. When he was allowed to pass through later there were no alarms. IMO this is no different than randomly picking people walking down the street and telling them that they must consent to a search.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's not true. It's also not true that a young girl would absolutely not being carrying a bomb or weapon. There is a chance for everyone. In fact, if I were a terrorist, I would choose the least likely people to get a pat down to smuggle what I need through. It's this kind of lackadaisical attitude towards security that puts us at a greater risk.
    I have absolutely no concern. I feel zero risk getting on a plane with a U.S. Senator or 8 year old girl.

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    I have absolutely no concern. I feel zero risk getting on a plane with a U.S. Senator or 8 year old girl.
    Then I think your assessment of security risks is problematic. But I have two questions:

    1. If you were a terrorist aware of increased security for people who look like you in the United States, would you not attempt to get someone least likely to be searched to carry your weapons on board?

    2. Are US Senators superhuman in such a way that they are incapable of being influenced by 'the enemy'?

  6. #126
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Then I think your assessment of security risks is problematic. But I have two questions:

    1. If you were a terrorist aware of increased security for people who look like you in the United States, would you not attempt to get someone least likely to be searched to carry your weapons on board?

    2. Are US Senators superhuman in such a way that they are incapable of being influenced by 'the enemy'?
    Yes to both of your questions.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Then I think your assessment of security risks is problematic. But I have two questions:

    1. If you were a terrorist aware of increased security for people who look like you in the United States, would you not attempt to get someone least likely to be searched to carry your weapons on board?
    No, I would work to get a missle launcher on a boat near the shore. Maybe work to pull a Timothy McVeigh. Why don't we randomly pull over cars and force a search of them? The risk is there. No?

    2. Are US Senators superhuman in such a way that they are incapable of being influenced by 'the enemy'?
    Life is never without any risks whatsoever. When they get so small and we are willing to give up our freedom over such incredibly small risks, I'll pass.
    Last edited by 1Perry; 01-24-12 at 09:22 AM.

  8. #128
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    No, I would work to get a missle launcher on a boat near the shore. Maybe work to pull a Timothy McVeigh. Why don't we randomly pull over cars and force a search of them? The risk is there. No?
    That is a great point. Heck, I am waiting now for the knock at the front door, looking out to see body armor clad agents standing there to tell me that they are here from the government to help...

    Life is never without any risks whatsoever. When they get so small and we are willing to give up our freedom over such incredibly small risks, I'll pass.
    Wasn't it liberals who largely during the initial patriot act kerfuffle were exclaiming such lofty pronouncements as 'no liberty for security', and 'we must not change our every day lives, or terrorists win'....Quoting founders like Franklin, and screaming how Bush was a Nazi for enacting such a draconian measure. But somehow, now it's all just fine, in fact justifying the physical search by low trained, barely screened boobs off the street? This leaves me with one conclusion that is clear...

    When the wire tapping issue was there under Bush, oh it was a travesty because it was the actual enemy it was targeting, and liberals had a cow because it was true that they wanted defeat for Bush. Now that it is TSA, and Obama in power, it is perfectly fine for unconstitutional, and extra constitutional things to be considered because after this is Obama in the office for God's sake. We MUST give him what ever he wants, even if the real enemy in his eyes are the American people, and this country's very premise.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Yes j-mac. I'm more concerned over those who take positions based upon what party is currently in power as opposed to terrorists. This has gone both ways.

  10. #130
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Rand Paul detained by TSA

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    No, I would work to get a missle launcher on a boat near the shore. Maybe work to pull a Timothy McVeigh. Why don't we randomly pull over cars and force a search of them? The risk is there. No?
    Then I guess you're willing to ignore all the options terrorists might take for the sake of maintaining your argument. We're talking about people who train 10 year olds to kill people. The idea that they wouldn't put some weapon on an eight year old is preposterous.

    Life is never without any risks whatsoever. When they get so small and we are willing to give up our freedom over such incredibly small risks, I'll pass.
    Aside from the fact that I think making this a matter of 'giving up our freedom' is hyperbolic, you admit that senators are at risk for being terrorists which makes your original statement that they are "absolutely no risk" false which is what I was looking for.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •