Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 79

Thread: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

  1. #1
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,807

    US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Federal Official In Arizona To Plead The Fifth And Not Answer Questions On 'furious' | Fox News
    DoJ figure taking the 5th in Fast & Furious probe « Hot Air
    Federal prosecutor to take 5th Amendment in Fast and Furious probe - POLITICO.com


    The fifth isnt always damaging to innocence but Issa and the committee have some alternatives like offering immunity and compelling him to testify. As yet CNN, Yahoo, and MSN havent touched the story. Id expect they will by the end of the day. I caught it on Hot Air and Drudge. Wasnt 100% sure where to post it though. WHat avenues do you think the committee will take to get Cunningham's testimony?

    Cunningham is represented by Tobin Romero of Williams and Connolly who is a specialist in white collar crime. In the letter, he suggests witnesses from the Department of Justice in Washington, who have spoken in support of Attorney General Eric Holder, are wrong or lying.
    “Department of Justice officials have reported to the Committee that my client relayed inaccurate information to the Department upon which it relied in preparing its initial response to Congress. If, as you claim, Department officials have blamed my client, they have blamed him unfairly,” the letter to Issa says.
    Romero claims Cunningham did nothing wrong and acted in good faith, but the Department of Justice in Washington is making him the fall guy, claiming he failed to accurately provide the Oversight Committee with information on the execution of Fast and Furious.
    "To avoid needless preparation by the Committee and its staff for a deposition next week, I am writing to advise you that my client is going to assert his constitutional privilege not to be compelled to be a witness against himself." Romero told Issa.


    Read more: Federal Official In Arizona To Plead The Fifth And Not Answer Questions On 'furious' | Fox News
    Last edited by OpportunityCost; 01-20-12 at 01:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    How dare you OC...This is the most transparent administration in the entire history of man on earth...I know because Barry says so....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #3
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    easy answer to this
    give him immunity from prosecution based on the information he provides
    motivate him to tell all

    then sit back and have DOJ explain exactly what it was that he communicated, which information was passed to the committee and then was found to be non-factual
    then go after the DOJ liar. either cunningham or another high up DOJ official
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #4
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    easy answer to this
    give him immunity from prosecution based on the information he provides
    motivate him to tell all

    then sit back and have DOJ explain exactly what it was that he communicated, which information was passed to the committee and then was found to be non-factual
    then go after the DOJ liar. either cunningham or another high up DOJ official

    But Holder should stay?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #5
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    But Holder should stay?

    j-mac
    not if he is the higher up official who misrepresented the facts to the committee
    if that was found to be him he should be fired, and possibly prosecuted for perjury before the congressional committee
    but i would prefer to act on facts
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #6
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    not if he is the higher up official who misrepresented the facts to the committee
    if that was found to be him he should be fired, and possibly prosecuted for perjury before the congressional committee
    but i would prefer to act on facts

    Ah, but facts are so malleable....Remember this....

    Sensenbrenner: There have been inconsistent submissions to Congress. You yourself testified that you’d only heard about [Fast and Furious] a few weeks earlier, and then in November you said it probably was a few months. [And] as late as October 7th, in response to allegations that you lied on May 3rd, you wrote to Congress that your statements on Fast and Furious have been “truthful and consistent.” [Yet] one of your underlings, on Feb. 4th, Assistant A.G. Ronald Weich, responded to Senator Grassley denying that the ATF had walked guns and that letter ended up being withdrawn.

    Clearly, Sensenbrenner was incensed as he thought of the lies surrounding Fast and Furious. So much so, in fact, that as he spoke he took pains to try to be measured in his speech:

    Lying to Congress is a federal felony. I don’t want to say that you have committed a felony Mr. Attorney General, but obviously there have been statements so misleading that a letter had to be withdrawn. I think that some heads should roll.

    At this point, an exchange took place that literally defies reality:

    Holder: “Nobody in the justice department has lied.”

    Sensenbrenner: “Then why was the letter withdrawn?”

    Holder: “The letter was withdrawn because there was information in there that was inaccurate.”

    As Holder continued to fumble in trying to frame his explanation for how the Feb. 4th letter contained “inaccurate” statements that weren’t lies, Sensenbrenner interrupted and asked, “What is difference between lying and misleading Congress in this context?”

    Holder: “Well, if you want to have this legal conversation, it all has to do with your state of mind. And whether or not you had the requisite intent to come up with something that can be considered perjury or a lie.”

    Holder might as well have said, “it depends upon what the meaning of the word ‘is’ is.” (I’m pretty sure that’s what Sensenbrenner and Issa heard him say.)

    Holder Hearings Part Four: What Is Fast and Furious? Depends Upon What the Meaning of
    I'd say Holder looks pretty guilty here...

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #7
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,156

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Ah, but facts are so malleable....Remember this....



    I'd say Holder looks pretty guilty here...

    j-mac
    how do we know that cunningham did not actually lie, as HQ of DOJ is now asserting
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  8. #8
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    how do we know that cunningham did not actually lie, as HQ of DOJ is now asserting

    Yeah, ok....what ever....I get the feeling though that you wouldn't accept that if it were a republican administration doing this...Just my gut feeling.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #9
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    [...] I'd say Holder looks pretty guilty here...
    I'd say that quoting Andrew Breitbart's site is a pretty risking thing to do with one's credibility... as evidenced by the argument therein that submitting a letter with inaccurate information is a lie. Even hyper partisans should be able to use a dictionary . . . .

  10. #10
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: US Attorney in Arizona pleads 5th in Furious testimony

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I'd say that quoting Andrew Breitbart's site is a pretty risking thing to do with one's credibility... as evidenced by the argument therein that submitting a letter with inaccurate information is a lie. Even hyper partisans should be able to use a dictionary . . . .
    Was the transcript wrong? Is there some site that the transcript that I posted is different?

    Please, do post....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •