Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 38

Thread: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

  1. #21
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    It was the elected California representatives who passed the law to begin with. It was mostly outside forces who funded the ballot initiative, and who bombarded the airwaves with advertising and funded the get out the vote campaign.

    I imagine that you would have no problem with it if our federal elections were primarily funded by, e.g. China and Saudi Arabia?
    that sounds like the funding Gore and Obama received

  2. #22
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that sounds like the funding Gore and Obama received
    Really? Can you document that?

  3. #23
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Thanks for the recap, but you didn't answer my question.
    No one is claiming that we are a direct democracy. The US is a republic with a representative democracy.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  4. #24
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Have you been living under a rock for the last five years? The Republican minority in Congress is the most obstructive in modern memory. They continually work to thwart the will of the majority.
    Oh, you're talking about the will of Congress. I was referring to the will of the people.

  5. #25
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    No one is claiming that we are a direct democracy. The US is a republic with a representative democracy.
    And thanks, too, for stating the obvious, but the point of our indirect democracy, and having a Senate that is not proportional to population, was not to give the minorit of representatives the ability to hamstring the majority of representatives.

  6. #26
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Oh, you're talking about the will of Congress. I was referring to the will of the people.
    Believe it or not, in some cases the two are actually aligned. So, for example, the majority in Congress and the majority of the people favored letting the top Bush tax cuts expire. But the minority in Congress prevented it from happening. The majority in Congress, and the majority of the people, favored bigger payroll tax cuts, paid for by a surtax on very high income, but the minority in Congress prevented it from happening (and nearly prevented the continuation of the existing payroll tax cut that is overwhelmingly approved by the majority of Americans). Etc.

  7. #27
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    And thanks, too, for stating the obvious, but the point of our indirect democracy, and having a Senate that is not proportional to population, was not to give the minorit of representatives the ability to hamstring the majority of representatives.
    the states agreed to the constitution. Every state gets 2 senators and the House is proportional to the population. If you don't like it you can start a campaign to amend the Constitution.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  8. #28
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    the states agreed to the constitution. Every state gets 2 senators and the House is proportional to the population. If you don't like it you can start a campaign to amend the Constitution.
    I guess I wasn't clear. The system itself provides some protection against regional dominance. That was approved by the states in a constitutional amendment (not the original constitition). But the Senate rules that, when abused, allow the minority party to block almost any action, were not approved by the states, or the House, or the President. I think the filibuster rules are a real problem, and not just because Republicans are in the minority.

  9. #29
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Believe it or not, in some cases the two are actually aligned. So, for example, the majority in Congress and the majority of the people favored letting the top Bush tax cuts expire. But the minority in Congress prevented it from happening. The majority in Congress, and the majority of the people, favored bigger payroll tax cuts, paid for by a surtax on very high income, but the minority in Congress prevented it from happening (and nearly prevented the continuation of the existing payroll tax cut that is overwhelmingly approved by the majority of Americans). Etc.
    The majority of the people did NOT want Obamacare. In that case, the minority of Congress was aligned with the majority of the people. BTW, who wanted the tax cuts to expire? Most people I know prefer to pay fewer taxes. Oh and that pay roll tax cut you admit that the majority of people approve of? The Republicans wanted to keep those good for a year instead of just 2 months. Why didn't the Dems support that,? But, oh yeah, Dems are holy and blameless and would never try to obstruct a majority Republican congress. LOL
    Last edited by X Factor; 01-21-12 at 01:47 PM.

  10. #30
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Supreme Court rejects judge-drawn Texas election maps

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    The majority of the people did NOT want Obamacare. In that case, the minority of Congress was aligned with the majority of the people. BTW, who wanted the tax cuts to expire? Most people I know prefer to pay fewer taxes.
    It's true that a majority turned against quote-unquote Obamacare after the election. OTOH, Obama was elected by a considerable majority on the promise of enacting HCR. And in fact, when Americans were polled about the individual aspects of HCR, a majority approved of most of the provisions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •