Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 302

Thread: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

  1. #171
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Vouchers. Then almost everyone can send their kid to the school that teaches what they want, whether it is purely academic or religious or whatever.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #172
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I am not sure that it makes me a religious bigot that I think the parents should have the overall authority on whether or not religious materials are available at the school of their children.
    Seeing how this is public school it therefore makes it a tax payer funded institute and as such it can not show preference to any particular religion since that would be respecting the establishment of religion.Therefore you must allow all religious books to be distributed.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #173
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    I'm not sure if anyone has touched on this (I haven't read every post in depth); but the article noted that the Bibles were available for pickup by interested students. It DOES NOT say that they were handed out by the school. It sounds to me like she should be asking her son why he went and picked one up in the school office.

    Obviously that does not eliminate the issue that only the writings of a particular religious group are available and that either all should be, or none should be; but it would seem that mom needs to sit down with junior and find out why he went and picked the Bible up. Unless I am misreading something in the story.

  4. #174
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,981
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    There is no solicitation allowed at public schools. Religion is the ULTIMATE solicitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  5. #175
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Quote Originally Posted by ric27 View Post
    Religion has no place in government, public schools, etc and the discussion of it is counter productive to our welfare as a nation.
    Wow, ol' ric got one right.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #176
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Seeing how this is public school it therefore makes it a tax payer funded institute and as such it can not show preference to any particular religion since that would be respecting the establishment of religion.Therefore you must allow all religious books to be distributed.
    No, you can't hand out any religious material, because these are kids being educated. Religious groups should have no access to them in a public school. This is not about the rights of people who want to express their religious views, it's about the rights of the students and parents.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #177
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    No, you can't hand out any religious material, because these are kids being educated. Religious groups should have no access to them in a public school. This is not about the rights of people who want to express their religious views, it's about the rights of the students and parents.
    Misterman I'm sorry but you are wrong. Any religious material should be allowed to be passed out. If a wiccan walks into the school there there should be a means for them to pass it out. Same goes for Atheist the Christian and what not.

  8. #178
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,804

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Misterman I'm sorry but you are wrong. Any religious material should be allowed to be passed out. If a wiccan walks into the school there there should be a means for them to pass it out. Same goes for Atheist the Christian and what not.
    I totally disagree because the argument of inequality can always come up. One thing was distributed differently than another or only to certain students or for different periods of times etc etc etc

    Its best to leave it as it is. No religion in public schools, that what assures fairness and equality and no discrimination otherwise you have to open yourself up to 1000 different scenarios.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #179
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I totally disagree because the argument of inequality can always come up. One thing was distributed differently than another or only to certain students or for different periods of times etc etc etc
    In this case the Bibles were left for kids to pick up or not. If other items are sitting on the same table or something none of this comes in to play.

    Its best to leave it as it is. No religion in public schools, that what assures fairness and equality and no discrimination otherwise you have to open yourself up to 1000 different scenarios.
    As it is, is that schools can not discriminate with who they allow access. They can allow none, or all.

  10. #180
    Sage
    Enola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    07-30-16 @ 02:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,326
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Pagan mom challenges Bible giveaway at North Carolina school

    Is there any update on this story since it was reported?

Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •