Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 103

Thread: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Just in case anyone is wondering why megaupload is not working.


    BBC News - Megaupload file-sharing site shut down
    Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.
    The site's founders have been charged with violating piracy laws.
    Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.
    Investigators denied a link to recent protests against proposed piracy laws, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    The US Justice Department said that Megaupload's two co-founders Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and Mathias Ortmann were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand along with two other employees of the business at the request of US officials. It added that three other defendants were still at large.
    "This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime," said a statement posted on its website.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Just in case anyone is wondering why megaupload is not working.


    BBC News - Megaupload file-sharing site shut down
    Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.
    The site's founders have been charged with violating piracy laws.
    Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.
    Investigators denied a link to recent protests against proposed piracy laws, according to the Wall Street Journal.
    The US Justice Department said that Megaupload's two co-founders Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and Mathias Ortmann were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand along with two other employees of the business at the request of US officials. It added that three other defendants were still at large.
    "This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime," said a statement posted on its website.
    It's pretty much impossible to police the entirety of megaupload.
    Some use it for pirating works under copyright, others don't.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #3
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,945

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    How funny this happens a day after Megaupload was one of the sites participating in the blackout protest.

    If they've been complying with any legal requests to take down and stop copyrighted material found to be shared through their site, I don't see what the issue is. Megaupload doesn't market itself as a place to violate copyright, can be used in ways that don't voilate copy right ,and confirm with requests to take down files that are found to be copywritten. Expecting any file sharing site to monitor every file it uploads for the copyrighted nature of it is unrealistic, and if the simple existance of copyrighted things being on the site is means for a massive criminal charge then all file sharing sites....from Megaupload to something like Photobucket...should likely shut down to be legally safe.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How funny this happens a day after Megaupload was one of the sites participating in the blackout protest.

    If they've been complying with any legal requests to take down and stop copyrighted material found to be shared through their site, I don't see what the issue is. Megaupload doesn't market itself as a place to violate copyright, can be used in ways that don't voilate copy right ,and confirm with requests to take down files that are found to be copywritten. Expecting any file sharing site to monitor every file it uploads for the copyrighted nature of it is unrealistic, and if the simple existance of copyrighted things being on the site is means for a massive criminal charge then all file sharing sites....from Megaupload to something like Photobucket...should likely shut down to be legally safe.
    I read a bit more of the story.
    Prosecutors say that they were paying third parties to promote links to copy written material on megaupload's website.
    I dunno if that's true.

    Megaupload isn't in the position to defend themselves at the moment.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #5
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How funny this happens a day after Megaupload was one of the sites participating in the blackout protest.

    If they've been complying with any legal requests to take down and stop copyrighted material found to be shared through their site, I don't see what the issue is. Megaupload doesn't market itself as a place to violate copyright, can be used in ways that don't voilate copy right ,and confirm with requests to take down files that are found to be copywritten. Expecting any file sharing site to monitor every file it uploads for the copyrighted nature of it is unrealistic, and if the simple existance of copyrighted things being on the site is means for a massive criminal charge then all file sharing sites....from Megaupload to something like Photobucket...should likely shut down to be legally safe.
    They also take down files which violate copyright law.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #6
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,945

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    And like I said...if it comes out that they weren't complying with requests to take down copyrighted things, or were somehow actively promoting people to use it for copyrighted materials, or something of the sort then I don't have a huge issue with this. If its simply that the site is used by people to upload copyrighted things, despite megaupload not promoting that and taking appropriate action when discovered, then I would have an issue.

  7. #7
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    How funny this happens a day after Megaupload was one of the sites participating in the blackout protest.

    If they've been complying with any legal requests to take down and stop copyrighted material found to be shared through their site, I don't see what the issue is. Megaupload doesn't market itself as a place to violate copyright, can be used in ways that don't voilate copy right ,and confirm with requests to take down files that are found to be copywritten. Expecting any file sharing site to monitor every file it uploads for the copyrighted nature of it is unrealistic, and if the simple existance of copyrighted things being on the site is means for a massive criminal charge then all file sharing sites....from Megaupload to something like Photobucket...should likely shut down to be legally safe.
    Here is the meat of the charge though:

    "The conspirators allegedly paid users whom they specifically knew uploaded infringing content and publicised their links to users throughout the world," a statement said.
    "By actively supporting the use of third-party linking sites to publicise infringing content, the conspirators did not need to publicise such content on the Megaupload site.
    "Instead, the indictment alleges that the conspirators manipulated the perception of content available on their servers by not providing a public search function on the Megaupload site and by not including popular infringing content on the publicly available lists of top content downloaded by its users."
    It's a he said/she said situation now, but if what the government is saying is at all accurate, then they could very well be guilty of piracy.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #8
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I read a bit more of the story.
    Prosecutors say that they were paying third parties to promote links to copy written material on megaupload's website.
    I dunno if that's true.

    Megaupload isn't in the position to defend themselves at the moment.
    Wrestling message board I read has a section that you can only access with permissions, that has literally thousands of links to copywritten wrestling, boxing, MMA and similar content all on Mega and a few similar sites, and almost entirely from 2 people. Now it could just be a couple guys with a whole lot of time on their hands...but more likely not.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #9
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,945

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    I love the last part...

    "Because they didn't give users of their site easy access to things that were copyright infringing, they are violating the law"



    I know its not literally what's being said, but it kind of reads that way and just made me sort of laugh.

  10. #10
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    By this same logic, we should clearly shut down Toyota because drug dealers use cars to move drugs around, despite any other legitimate uses they may have.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •