Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 103

Thread: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

  1. #51
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    Sure there is.

    Article 1, Section 8, Clause 8, US Constitution
    Yes and that limited time had been set at lifetime + 70 years. Either wait, or quit stealing it.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #52
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Travelsonic View Post
    Who REALLY needs it that long?
    I ignored the rest of your nonsense and got to the "meat" of your question. Who needs it that long? Don't know. However that's the time limit that has been set on it. If you don't like it, that's your prerogative. It doesn't give you the right to steal it. The best part is that you're arguing about "Steamboat Willy" as if there is a big market for 80 year old cartoons. It's safe to say that people aren't queuing up torrent lines to steal old **** from people who are no longer alive. The overwhelming majority of artists affected by illegal downloading are alive and well.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 01-21-12 at 05:12 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The point went WAY over your head. It's not that a person's input isn't valid because they don't work in media production. It's invalid if they support it because they want it for free. It's like saying you should take a thief's account of why he should forcefully rob people as a legitimate point of discussion.
    No, not over my head. I get that. Its kind of like saying we shouldn't take a habitual or former habitual law violator's account for why police are bad or corrupt or other sort of negative things as any kind of legitimate point of discussion. Similarly, when discussing other illegal things that people feel should be legal...lets say pot...we should clearly not take pot smokers and other drug users accounts for legalization as any kind of legitimate point of discussion. More than that, anyone who argues for legalization we should automatically assume that they must be non-stop pot smokers and not necessarily people who don't even partake but simply have issues with the law and the way the government works.

    Sure, those who actually do claim to be people who pirate software and other things should have that fact kept in mind when they give their opinion. That said, the merit of their argument isn't negated necessarily simply because of their other actions. Additionally, there are undoubtedly people who are produces of intellectual property who feel there are issues with the laws dealing with them on the internet and even some who may support or engage in piracy. I don't see how whether or not individual posters engage in professions creating their own intellectual property necessarily significantly pertains to the discussion.

    Yes, if your argument is "I Want it free so we shouldn't have piracy laws" is a ridiculous and stupid argument...but who on this thread is even making that argument?

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Yes, if your argument is "I Want it free so we shouldn't have piracy laws" is a ridiculous and stupid argument...but who on this thread is even making that argument?
    Generally the arguement goes that if the movie or music was cheaper, they would pay for it. I doubt it. It's easy to say.

  5. #55
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Generally the arguement goes that if the movie or music was cheaper, they would pay for it. I doubt it. It's easy to say.
    Stating that is not the same as stating that they should be free and if not we should steal it. Simply because someone may disagree with that notion doesn't mean that its okay to just declare without basis that the person is stating something entirely different than what they actually said.

    And yes, its easy to say. Its also easy to look at examples where various people or groups have actually attempted to put that to the test and have came out successfully...Louis CK recently with a comedy album and Radio Head with an album both come to mind off the top of my head. How much it'd effect things over all, hard to say.

    Personally I've witnessed that happening first hand in a sector of technology that I've been a strong enthusiast of for over a decade now, and that's handheld devices. PDA's were a niche item that early on had software that was relatively expensive despite being very basic typically or limited in capabilities. As prices went down and the early days of smart phones came on and PDA's and other handheld devices went into more hands, the prices didn't go down and piracy was RAMPANT. The general rationalization was that paying desktop software prices for software that was used for a fraction of the amount of time that the PC versions would be, and which do a fraction of what the PC version can do, was absolutely ridiculous. However, Apple and its app store largely turned that notion upside down. Suddenly mobile software was provided for a low and some would say "Reasonable" price and the need or desire for piracy decreased.

    I don't think its necessarily just reducing price however. A la carte options would likely help in some sectors. In others sectors it could be just reviewing your business model entirely with regards to the modern world in terms of distribution and conception channels.

    Stating that Companies likely have avenues they can go down that would prove more effective and efficient in fighting piracy while not having as many potential civil liberty issues is not the same as suggesting "its okay to pirate things".

  6. #56
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,995
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    I am a photographer. I DO support copyright laws, but I feel they are vague, nebulous, and almost certainly intentionally confusing.

    Thing is, the creator is their own best protector from piracy. For instance, I have my photos on a website. I should be afraid that they will be "stolen", printed out, on sold by others. Right? I mean, how many people here have been to NYC, in the summertime, on broadway, or some other off streets...and seen the folks, immigrants, mostly, sitting out there selling artwork? I know I have. And I would say that 100% of it is stuff downloaded off the net and printed...and that's exactly what it looks like. See, my customers, people who would buy my prints, are not going to settle for low quality, low res images, like what you can get off the net. Remember, everything is 72dpi, online. Useless. To my would be customers, anyway. If I'm honest, the far far FAR greater threat to me are all the artists that sell their work, and along with it, the copyright, to stock photo companies, who buy them cheap, then sell them cheaper, in bulk...to other companies, like Ikea, who then print them up in bulk, saving millions of dollars as compared to how much it costs ME per print, or canvas, to create...and they sell those prints, which are, largely, beautiful, for 40 bucks a pop. I simply can't compete with that. Technology has made this possible. Now, you don't see ME writing my senator demanding a law to inhibit Ikea's, or even Bed Bath and Beyond's ability to do this, do you? Nope. I simply move on to other ways of making money.

    The days of multi millionaire artists are slowly coming to a close. There are a LOT of talented people out there. The market is being flooded. Images, painted, drawn, photographed....doesn't matter. You can go onto flickr and see a LOT of truly wonderful work, on display, more or less for free. Sure, you could buy some of that work...and some, no, MANY, will. For now. But trust me when I tell you, this, too, shall end. It will soon become less and less profitable to try to sell it, and there will be more and more people that continue to make work, even though it's not profitable...which makes it cheaper and cheaper and cheaper, literally to the point that it's free. I see the same idea happening in music. It's BEEN happening, slowly, ever since the record was invented. Look on youtube. Plenty of musicians have their music there, to listen to, for free. Not famous ones, mind...but still wonderful talents, none the less. And they do that because they love it, not because they think they are going to make some money at it. Hell, I play the horn pretty darn good myself, and I do it for FREE, in a little 5 guy band, on saturday nights, to an audience. Why? Because I love it. And no one is incredulous about that, are they? No. Well, here's the flash...mainstream music is slowly gonna become like this, too, in the very distant future.

    In the meantime, does any of this mean I support piracy? No, of course not. If it's not yours, and the owner doesn't want you to have it, don't take it. It's pretty simple, really. Not your stuff. But to be making this sort of deal out of it, to be spending more on the lobbying than you are actually losing to piracy...well, that's just bananas. It's the death rattle of a choking, desperate, empire. And make no mistake, big music is an empire that spans the globe. This isn't about the artists, nor was it ever, when it pertains to music, as it most often does. It's about the record labels. Always has been. We just have better tape recorders now.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Stating that is not the same as stating that they should be free and if not we should steal it. Simply because someone may disagree with that notion doesn't mean that its okay to just declare without basis that the person is stating something entirely different than what they actually said.
    Basically, IMO that's what it boils down to. If iTunes started charging .50 cents as opposed to .99 cents IMO few would quit simply stealing it.

    Stating that Companies likely have avenues they can go down that would prove more effective and efficient in fighting piracy while not having as many potential civil liberty issues is not the same as suggesting "its okay to pirate things".
    It seems to me that you said that you understood why people pirated things and that the pirating brought about welcomed changes.

  8. #58
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,995
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Basically, IMO that's what it boils down to. If iTunes started charging .50 cents as opposed to .99 cents IMO few would quit simply stealing it.



    It seems to me that you said that you understood why people pirated things and that the pirating brought about welcomed changes.
    To be honest, I disagree with your first point. I USED to download music LIKE CRAZY. Actually, I still DO download a wee bit of music, but I'll explain that later...

    I downloaded music because, quite frankly, I didn't want to shell out 20 bucks for an entire album, of which, I was really only interested in one song. You don't go out and buy an entire book of poems just to get the one poem you want...you go to the store, find the book, and copy the poem with pen and paper. Itunes changed EVERYTHING for me, personally. I now have an avenue to purchase EXACTLY what I want. .99 cents, or .50 cents, makes no real difference for me, honestly, because I'm not buying this stuff in bulk...I'm selective, which is exactly why I LIKE itunes. NOW my issue is, the recording industry wants to tell me what I can do with that product once I buy it. And that's a problem, to be honest. If I want to copy it over to another computer, I ought to be able to. If I want to make one copy of it for every device I own, I ought to be allowed to do so, without breaking any laws. I ought to be able to burn it onto as many CDs as I want. None of these things are violating copyright. It's the giving away, or selling, that is the problem, but to the industry, and to some extent law enforcement, this makes it "too hard". Far better, then to simply limit anyone's ability to make copies, and to limit what anyone can do with said copies, etc, rather than simply try to catch the actual criminal act. It's kinda like how we argue that making drugs legal would increase crime. Maybe so, but that doesn't mean drugs are the criminal act, then...it just means it COULD be a prelude to such. And last time I checked, a PRELUDE to an act is in no way equal to the act itself.

    Now, why do I STILL download music from various FTP sites? Because I like some pretty obscure stuff....soundtracks, mostly...and Itunes/amazon has a pretty bad selection of that genre of music. It's download, or don't have at all. Am I causing some composer out there to starve, or lose money? No. Because their product isn't being sold anyway. It was never intended to. It was meant to score a movie, or TV commercial.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    To be honest, I disagree with your first point. I USED to download music LIKE CRAZY. Actually, I still DO download a wee bit of music, but I'll explain that later...

    I downloaded music because, quite frankly, I didn't want to shell out 20 bucks for an entire album, of which, I was really only interested in one song. You don't go out and buy an entire book of poems just to get the one poem you want...you go to the store, find the book, and copy the poem with pen and paper. Itunes changed EVERYTHING for me, personally. I now have an avenue to purchase EXACTLY what I want. .99 cents, or .50 cents, makes no real difference for me, honestly, because I'm not buying this stuff in bulk...I'm selective, which is exactly why I LIKE itunes. NOW my issue is, the recording industry wants to tell me what I can do with that product once I buy it. And that's a problem, to be honest. If I want to copy it over to another computer, I ought to be able to.
    I've used iTunes...... I don't understand.....they will allow me to copy what I bought to all of the devices I have that will play them.

    Now, why do I STILL download music from various FTP sites? Because I like some pretty obscure stuff....soundtracks, mostly...and Itunes/amazon has a pretty bad selection of that genre of music. It's download, or don't have at all. Am I causing some composer out there to starve, or lose money? No. Because their product isn't being sold anyway. It was never intended to. It was meant to score a movie, or TV commercial.
    I'm doubting that we would be having this discussion if people were d/l obscure tracks that nobody wants anyway.

  10. #60
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Even Lady Gaga should have the right to be paid for what they create when you decide you want it.
    This is a controversial topic. I'm not bothered either way, but I can accept a limit amount of Intellectual Property rights. I do not think we have anything like that, we have a very broad regime that keeps seeming to expand.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •