Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 103

Thread: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Last Seen
    03-07-12 @ 03:28 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,692

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    ^ Very good to know.

    Artists making 90% of the profits would end the music industry. Can't have that!

    I am so tired of government being the dogs of industry that get sicked on innovators in order to retain stagnant business models. These dinosaurs just need to roll over and die already.

  2. #92
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    From what I understand......You aren't held responsible IF you are pro-active in stopping illegal activity and not ignoring it. The governments case (which is just their case which they will have to defend in court) is that megaupload was only taking token efforts to stop piracy. They would take down a couple links but leave other while not taking the pirated material off their servers.

    They said that megaupload was working diligently to combat child porn on their sites but was doing little to stop piracy.

    That's the arguement.
    So... the main argument is that they were too busy stopping child pornography to worry about copyright infringement? These people are facing jail time because they listened when someone said "Think of the children!"

    If these are our priorities, then we have a much deeper problem to worry about.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Kreton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Last Seen
    11-13-17 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,118

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    megaupload should never have been shut down until it was proven that they had done something illegal.

  4. #94
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    megaupload should never have been shut down until it was proven that they had done something illegal.
    Mega Upload should never have been shut down by US authorities because it is not hosted in the US. This is a case of the US literally trying foreign nationals for violations of US law in foreign countries. It pretty much makes absolutely zero sense.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    So... the main argument is that they were too busy stopping child pornography to worry about copyright infringement? These people are facing jail time because they listened when someone said "Think of the children!"

    If these are our priorities, then we have a much deeper problem to worry about.
    They are innocent until proven guilty. They will get the chance to make their case.

    But no, if they are accessories to one crime, it does not absolve them because they weren't in another. That's sort of the arguement used in The Godfather to make the family a little more likeable.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Mega Upload should never have been shut down by US authorities because it is not hosted in the US. This is a case of the US literally trying foreign nationals for violations of US law in foreign countries. It pretty much makes absolutely zero sense.
    Obviously it had to have been done with the assistance of these other governments. That is not something new.

  7. #97
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry
    Obviously it had to have been done with the assistance of these other governments. That is not something new.
    Well, sure, the precedent is that all people on earth are subject to, and must obey, US law. Which is absurd.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    Well, sure, the precedent is that all people on earth are subject to, and must obey, US law. Which is absurd.
    Governments have worked together for centuries. We do the same in return for them.

  9. #99
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,898

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry
    Governments have worked together for centuries. We do the same in return for them.
    So what you're saying is that if the US government agreed I could be deported to Saudi Arabia for violating Saudi law. And you agree with this?
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: Megaupload file-sharing site shut down, founders charged

    Quote Originally Posted by Khayembii Communique View Post
    So what you're saying is that if the US government agreed I could be deported to Saudi Arabia for violating Saudi law. And you agree with this?
    That would be unconstitutional.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •