Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 821

Thread: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

  1. #471
    Educator barbarian_style's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Existing between 2 entities of darkness
    Last Seen
    02-01-14 @ 03:31 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    761

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Thank goodness! What would we do with 20,000 jobs this year and an estimated 100,000 jobs by 2015? And why would we want to get oil from Canada - don't we have a deal with the Saudi's and the ME? And somehow I think they could find a route that would avoid the Eminent Domain issue - but that's just too much damned work. Let's just keep the status quo of sending our $100+ a barrel over to the ME.
    not really sure where these numbers you are pulling are accurate, in fact I don't think any study really coincides with another one. I have looked into it from different sources and your numbers are inaccurate, unless your also including the jobs it will create in other countries as total jobs, again not just U.S. jobs. The environmental hazard hurdles it needs to clarify needs to be dealt with, as in what chemicals are you going to dump into the ground getting the job done. Then you have to look at how they are going to acquire all this property. If they use eminent domain sounds like corporate communism, this is where the government steps in and decides who the winners and losers are going to be, sounds like some corporation is going to utilize the government to bully there way through.

    These things really need to be debated and clarified before even all republicans are on board with it. I think Obama was given the winning number again, thanks boehner I hope you are fired by Romney, he likes firing people that don't do there jobs when you aren't getting what your there for. I think right now the Republicans are only on board with anything that has no chance of making it through the senate.
    Last edited by barbarian_style; 01-27-12 at 09:15 PM.

  2. #472
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Anyone notice that Greenpeace has sued TransCanada alleging that they used false and misleading jobs claims to sell their pipeline?

  3. #473
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Anyone notice that Greenpeace has sued TransCanada alleging that they used false and misleading jobs claims to sell their pipeline?
    I heard that, but even if 'false advertising' is illegal in Canada I think there will be enough wiggle room for TransCanada to escape unscathed (although it would be nice to have the mechanism for their numbers given wider dissemination -- as opposed to the Kool Aid drinkers who are swilling it all at face value).

    They should sue Boehner... I saw him on video claim 130,000 jobs

  4. #474
    Professor
    Amigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-13 @ 11:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,945

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Anyone notice that Greenpeace has sued TransCanada alleging that they used false and misleading jobs claims to sell their pipeline?
    I would expect that from the eco-terrorists.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT on Nov 8th, 2012 View Post
    Over the next four years the economy will continue to rebound and we will gradually get deficits under control. The real esate market will rebound, unemployment will fall to 6.5% or below, and GDP growth will stand at 3.5 - 4%. We won't be in any wars. And conservatives will still be whining.

  5. #475
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian_style, replying to another View Post
    not really sure where these numbers you are pulling are accurate [...]
    They were pulled from a place that the sun never shines

  6. #476
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Greenpeace has abandoned its science base foundation. Even one of its founder's support the oil sands extraction based on the land reclamation plan thats been established.

    Ex-Greenpeace leader bats for oil sands | Energy | News | Financial Post

  7. #477
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I certainly don't. When did that take place?
    Freedom fries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    House cafeterias change names for 'french' fries and 'french' toast - CNN

    A little humor from the same period: Belgianfries.com

    I heard about it a few days after it hit the news when some guy at work was getting razzed for buying French fries at McD's. It was quite the deal here among blue collar workers (pro-Bush).

  8. #478
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Freedom fries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    House cafeterias change names for 'french' fries and 'french' toast - CNN

    A little humor from the same period: Belgianfries.com

    I heard about it a few days after it hit the news when some guy at work was getting razzed for buying French fries at McD's. It was quite the deal here among blue collar workers (pro-Bush).
    So where is the 'social ban'?

    It was a silly joke, meant as a silly joke, that never had any long term consequences.

  9. #479
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    I heard that, but even if 'false advertising' is illegal in Canada I think there will be enough wiggle room for TransCanada to escape unscathed (although it would be nice to have the mechanism for their numbers given wider dissemination -- as opposed to the Kool Aid drinkers who are swilling it all at face value).

    They should sue Boehner... I saw him on video claim 130,000 jobs
    And Newt said 50,000 jobs..

    TransCanada has never explained how they came up with these numbers.

    I am guessing 3200 temp jobs and maybe as many as 300-400 permanent jobs.

    An oil company that can't move 700,000 barrels a day without a huge work force should get outta the business.

  10. #480
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    And Newt said 50,000 jobs..

    TransCanada has never explained how they came up with these numbers.

    I am guessing 3200 temp jobs and maybe as many as 300-400 permanent jobs.

    An oil company that can't move 700,000 barrels a day without a huge work force should get outta the business.
    So the United States doesn't need those 3200 temp jobs or 300-400 permanent jobs, even though they are just your uneducated guesses. And Trans Canada doesn't have to explain anything. Americans should be able to figure out for themselves.

    Yours is a rather cavalier approach for a country that is having high unemployment as well as potential long term energy problems. Maybe Stimulus 3 for Synergy might work again.

    Or perhaps instead of being first to invent a reliable source of solar energy, why not wait until the Germans or Chinese invent it and then use their technology? Or improve on it? That's what other countries have successfully done.

    Of course that would eliminate the opportunities for political payoffs and crony capitalism, which appears to be the main thrust behind all these trillions being spent.

Page 48 of 83 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •