Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 821

Thread: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

  1. #341
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Actually, a primary reason he "Screwed" the American people it seems...was due to considering them, and the environment they live in, let alone the thousands who would be impacted directly by an approval...and voiced concern. If he were to ignore the protests and the law in order to push the approval through, would that not be inconsiderate at the very least.

    As for acting out of spite, if one of my employees tried to blackmail me....you bet your ass I would fight back, and likely far less pleasantly than he did.
    Oh please don't tell me that you are one of those that believes the opposition should sit back and just say yes sir to anything 'the One' dictates.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #342
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Actually, a primary reason he "Screwed" the American people it seems...was due to considering them, and the environment they live in, let alone the thousands who would be impacted directly by an approval...and voiced concern. If he were to ignore the protests and the law in order to push the approval through, would that not be inconsiderate at the very least.
    The studies have been done and millions are being spent on more. It is a lobbyists dream.

    As for acting out of spite, if one of my employees tried to blackmail me....you bet your ass I would fight back, and likely far less pleasantly than he did.
    Elected members to Congress are not his employees.

    Luckily, 56% of the American people aren't as stupid as Barrack Obama. Perhaps there is hope.

    56% Favor Building Keystone Pipeline, Think It

  3. #343
    Debate MMA
    Prof. Peabody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    07-30-12 @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
    Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected - Jan. 18, 2012



    The story is just starting to break, but this is great news for people living in the regions that would be affected by this. The pipeline would have moved through very ecologically sensitive areas and the public was not consulted on this.

    Looks like the protesting paid off. It might still get the nod in further applications - and probably after the election - but at least for now the environment is that much safer.
    It is?

    Amusingly, a spokesman for the Sierra Club admitted “there is no question that [transporting] oil by rail or truck is much more dangerous than a pipeline,” but that didn’t stop the zero-growth eco-fanatics from calling in their chips with President Downgrade to kill that pipeline.

    Those rail shipments are expected to “increase exponentially with increased oil production and the shortage of pipelines,” according to Justin Kringstad, director of the North Dakota Pipeline Authority. That’s going to be quite a windfall for the railroad companies, isn’t it?

    As it happens, 75 percent of the oil currently shipped by rail out of North Dakota is handled by Burlington Northern Santa Fe LLC… which just happens to be a unit of Warren Buffett’s company, Berkshire Hathaway Inc. What a coincidence!

    Warren Buffet Cleans Up After Keystone XL - HUMAN EVENTS
    Safer? Hardly! More profitable for Obama's cronies....DEFINITELY!
    Last edited by Prof. Peabody; 01-25-12 at 03:33 AM.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." - John Adams

  4. #344
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    It is the President’s prerogative to lead and manage the foreign policy of the United States, and in the case of the proposed Keystone XL pipeline project, our relations with Canada. This historical prerogative encompasses the President’s long-established authority to supervise the permitting process for transboundary pipelines.

    The President has delegated his authority to supervise this permitting process, by executive order, to the Department of the State. This process for determining whether to issue permits for transborder pipelines has been in place for more than 40 years.

    In determining whether a permit is in the national interest, this process requires consideration of a myriad of factors, including environmental and safety issues, energy security, economic impact, and foreign policy, as well as consultation with at least 8 federal agencies and inputs from the public and stakeholders – including Congress.

    The State Department has led a rigorous, thorough, and transparent process that must run its course to obtain the necessary information to make an informed decision on behalf of the national interest. Should Congress impose an arbitrary deadline for the permit decision, its actions would not only compromise the process, it would prohibit the Department from acting consistently with National Environmental Policy Act requirements by not allowing sufficient time for the development of this information. In the absence of properly completing the process, the Department would be unable to make a determination to issue a permit for this project.

    The State Department is currently in the process of obtaining additional information regarding alternate routes that avoid the Sand Hills in Nebraska. Based on preliminary consultations with the State of Nebraska and the permit applicant, the Department believes the review process could be completed in time for a decision to be made in first quarter 2013.

  5. #345
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh please don't tell me that you are one of those that believes the opposition should sit back and just say yes sir to anything 'the One' dictates.

    j-mac
    Ok, I wont tell you that as it would be a false statement. My point was simply that by attempting to force a decision that was clearly not yet ready to be made, based on ongoing impact studies, state dept. requirements, and public outcry...the "Opposition" tried to overstep, if not bypass the requirements for approval. Honestly, I do not see where Obama had any choice in the matter...and probably got kinda pissed off too, as would anyone who was being bullied.

  6. #346
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    It is the President’s prerogative to lead and manage the foreign policy of the United States, and in the case of the proposed Keystone XL pipeline project, our relations with Canada. This historical prerogative encompasses the President’s long-established authority to supervise the permitting process for transboundary pipelines.

    The President has delegated his authority to supervise this permitting process, by executive order, to the Department of the State. This process for determining whether to issue permits for transborder pipelines has been in place for more than 40 years.

    In determining whether a permit is in the national interest, this process requires consideration of a myriad of factors, including environmental and safety issues, energy security, economic impact, and foreign policy, as well as consultation with at least 8 federal agencies and inputs from the public and stakeholders – including Congress.

    The State Department has led a rigorous, thorough, and transparent process that must run its course to obtain the necessary information to make an informed decision on behalf of the national interest. Should Congress impose an arbitrary deadline for the permit decision, its actions would not only compromise the process, it would prohibit the Department from acting consistently with National Environmental Policy Act requirements by not allowing sufficient time for the development of this information. In the absence of properly completing the process, the Department would be unable to make a determination to issue a permit for this project.

    The State Department is currently in the process of obtaining additional information regarding alternate routes that avoid the Sand Hills in Nebraska. Based on preliminary consultations with the State of Nebraska and the permit applicant, the Department believes the review process could be completed in time for a decision to be made in first quarter 2013.
    Here's another factor you may have overlooked.

    Buffett would profit from Keystone cancellation - Washington Times
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  7. #347
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Lets just start over:
    Until you begin posting some type of plausible proof for your comments, they will remain unproven theories from your own mind.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #348
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Actually, a primary reason he "Screwed" the American people it seems...was due to considering them, and the environment they live in, let alone the thousands who would be impacted directly by an approval...and voiced concern. If he were to ignore the protests and the law in order to push the approval through, would that not be inconsiderate at the very least.

    As for acting out of spite, if one of my employees tried to blackmail me....you bet your ass I would fight back, and likely far less pleasantly than he did.
    Impacted directly ???

    99% of the protests were from people that did not live anywhere near the pipeline.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  9. #349
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Ok, I wont tell you that as it would be a false statement. My point was simply that by attempting to force a decision that was clearly not yet ready to be made, based on ongoing impact studies, state dept. requirements, and public outcry...the "Opposition" tried to overstep, if not bypass the requirements for approval. Honestly, I do not see where Obama had any choice in the matter...and probably got kinda pissed off too, as would anyone who was being bullied.
    It's both funny and sad that three years is not long enough to study a pipeline that will employ thousands of Americans, yet a 2,500 page, multi-billion dollar healthcare reform bill must be passed before we can find out what was in it.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  10. #350
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Keystone oil sands pipeline rejected

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Impacted directly ???

    99% of the protests were from people that did not live anywhere near the pipeline.
    I did not state the protesters were amongst those directly impacted...nor did I imply it in any way. I stated thousands would be impacted, and there were protests...that you somehow managed to blend the two together says more about the agenda you are holding, than my comment.

Page 35 of 83 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •