Page 80 of 192 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast
Results 791 to 800 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #791
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Actually, I think a review of poverty rates in population show that welfare has done little, to nothing more than create a dependant class for demo constituency purpose.

    J-mac

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    I think I'd like to see you support that argument.

  2. #792
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when you start howling about fair tax rate I know I am dealing with a far left extremist.

    what isn't fair are people who pay no income taxes voting to increase the taxes of those who pay most of them
    That is about as an anti-American attitude as I have ever heard expressed by anyone not at war with the USA. We have an amendment to the Constitution that took that sort of elitist thinking and flushed it down the porcelain receptacle with the other normal contents of such a piece of plumbing. To express the attitude that voting should be connected to paying of fees or taxes or anything else is shameful. disgraceful and a betrayal of all that is sacred to America and its people.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #793
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That is about as an anti-American attitude as I have ever heard expressed by anyone not at war with the USA. We have an amendment to the Constitution that took that sort of elitist thinking and flushed it down the porcelain receptacle with the other normal contents of such a piece of plumbing. To express the attitude that voting should be connected to paying of fees or taxes or anything else is shameful. disgraceful and a betrayal of all that is sacred to America and its people.
    sorry I don't think you speak for America and welfare socialism is contrary to what the founders wanted

  4. #794
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What do you mean "shift the debate to be all forms of taxes"? I'm having to point out over and over that some of you guys keep presenting evidence that is blatantly skewed by only including a selection of taxes that makes it sound like our tax system is more progressive than it is. I'm not shifting the debate, I'm catching you guys in distortions.



    They pay more as an absolute amount of course, but that isn't what is relevant. They pay much, much, less as a percentage of their income or as a percentage of the total taxes paid of those types. Like you hear people say "the top 1% pays 30% of all taxes" or whatever, but really what they mean is "30% of federal income taxes" and then when you include all federal taxes, it turns out it's actually closer to 15%. And then when you include all taxes it's closer to 10%. That kind of intentional distortion to try to get people to support giving even more tax breaks to the people who need them the least is immoral in my view.
    We have been arguing about this forever here.

    Those on the right only want to talk about progressive taxes since they hate them more than the others because they are suppose to impact the rich. They seem to not care less about all the other regressive taxes since the rich are spared from any progressive impact of them.

    In the final analysis, and honest discussion of the impact of taxes on America and the American people must include ALL taxes paid by ALL people to ALL levels of government. Anything else is playing with a rigged deck in a worked game.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #795
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    lets cut the crap

    the top one percent pay more income tax than any other similar sized group in the USA

    The top one percent pay more sales tax than any other similar sized group in the USA

    The top one percent pay more property tax than any other similar sized group in the USA

    The top one percent pay more airport tax, hotel tax and luxury taxes than any other similarly sized group in the United States

    The Top one percent pay almost all the death tax on a federal level and more of it on a state level than any other similar sized group

    I do tire of those who claim this group is somehow not paying its share of taxes
    Yes indeed, let's cut the crap. The top 1% pay more in taxes because they have an incredibly outsized proportion of the wealth. Don't bitch about your private jet burning too much fuel. The reason you're spending more on fuel than anyone else ... is that you have a private jet -- not because the middle class is getting free fuel from the government.

  6. #796
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    sorry I don't think you speak for America and welfare socialism is contrary to what the founders wanted
    When I speak about the right to vote free from connection from financial fees or taxes, I damn well speak for the US Constitution. If you don't like that - it is your right. But that is the reality we all live with.

    In America, there is no connection between taxation and the right to vote and the US Constitution says so.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #797
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I do tire of those who claim this group is somehow not paying its share of taxes
    You just fundamentally don't understand that taxes are related to income. If person A pays 15% of their income back in taxes, and person B pays 30%, every dollar that gets diverted to person A instead of person B we lose $0.15. The top 1% gets nearly a quarter of our GDP. When they pay only half the tax rate overall that working people pay, that costs our society enormously. If the entire top 1% paid only 15% that would cost us $525 billion every year. That's more than both wars, welfare, food stamps and NASA combined. We can't afford to keep throwing that money out the window like that. They need to pay their fair share just like everybody else has to.
    Last edited by teamosil; 01-21-12 at 11:39 PM.

  8. #798
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Yes indeed, let's cut the crap. The top 1% pay more in taxes because they have an incredibly outsized proportion of the wealth. Don't bitch about your private jet burning too much fuel. The reason you're spending more on fuel than anyone else ... is that you have a private jet -- not because the middle class is getting free fuel from the government.
    more of the from each according to their ability crap.

  9. #799
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,022

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The median effective tax rate in the US is 27%. That's how much the typical American pays between state and federal taxes. Megamillionaire robber baron Mitt Romney, however, only pays 15%.

    That is not uncommon at all for the superrich. They do not pay many of the taxes middle class people pay at all- no FICA, no unemployment, no disability, etc. And many of the taxes that apply to a large portion of middle class's income- sales, property, vehicle, etc- apply to only a very tiny percentage of the income of someone as wealthy as Romney, so in effect, they don't really pay those either.

    But, you might think, we have a progressive income tax system. Certainly the super rich get hit up on that one. But, nope, they don't. The progressive income tax system really only affects up to upper middle class people. People in really high paying jobs pay 35%, in addition to the other taxes listed above. But once you break past that into the super rich, they don't get paid in wages, they get paid with equity, and equity is only taxed at a measley 15%. So, in addition to being excused from most types of taxes, they get a 20% reduction in their tax break because they don't have to work to make their income.

    Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes - CNN.com
    Im going back to your original first post.
    Your opening statement identifies state and federal taxes only. Yet througout the rest of this thread you bring up all taxes.

    Are not the rich salary/labor wages subject to FICA Social Security for the first 108K (may be off a dollar or two)? Is there currently no limit for salary wages subject to FICA medicare part? Your beef seems to be in the capital income.

    Your point that sales tax, property tax, etc is only a small percentage of the rich income compared to middle class is just money envy on your part. If you looked at dollars they pay more.

    So in the end are you really promoting the re distribution of wealth?
    "I can explain it to you but, I can't understand it for you"

  10. #800
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    more of the from each according to their ability crap.
    Actually the poster just gave you a perfect example of apple pie red white and blue Americanism.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •