Page 78 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128178 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #771
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Of course regressive taxes are relevant in evaluating whether our system is too regressive or too progressive... Duh.



    I've explained this to you patiently 100 times. Remember last time I told you to bookmark the post? Did you bookmark it? If so, please go back to the bookmark and read it again.
    wrong as usual, most taxes are not intended to be progressive. when evaluating whether a federal tax is too progressive or not progressive enough, taking into account 50 states systems is rather silly. when federal income taxes are modified because of what my state does I will start listening to you. the fact that I live in a state that has high sales and income taxes and death taxes doesn't get me a credit or an offset any more compared to someone who lives in places like Florida which has no income tax

  2. #772
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    each individual can but the government does not have a data base that ties Joe Citizen named Joe Smith who has three dog licenses and his income. If I am a government attorney, I can subpoena the IRS and find out what you made last year and what you paid. Same with the state of California's income tax bureau. there is no way I can find out from any government agency what you paid in gasoline taxes, state sales taxes etc because the only consumer items where a record of purchase are kept are narcotics, firearms and in some states automobiles.
    You understand that there are other ways to find things out than government records, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Its a value judgment on your part since you see taxes as being properly allocated based on ability to pay.
    Oops. You forgot to look at it again didn't you. That isn't my argument at all. I've explained my arguments to you 100 times or more. As recently as yesterday. And I made a big deal about how you were just going to forget all about it and act like I never said anything. And here you are the very next day doing exactly that. Pathetic.

  3. #773
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    wrong as usual, most taxes are not intended to be progressive. when evaluating whether a federal tax is too progressive or not progressive enough, taking into account 50 states systems is rather silly. when federal income taxes are modified because of what my state does I will start listening to you. the fact that I live in a state that has high sales and income taxes and death taxes doesn't get me a credit or an offset any more compared to someone who lives in places like Florida which has no income tax
    Again, regressive taxes are relevant when determining whether our tax SYSTEM is too progressive or too regressive. Do you understand? Where are you getting confused. I'm talking about the entire tax SYSTEM, not just one rate in a vacuum. You get it?

  4. #774
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Again, regressive taxes are relevant when determining whether our tax SYSTEM is too progressive or too regressive. Do you understand? Where are you getting confused. I'm talking about the entire tax SYSTEM, not just one rate in a vacuum. You get it?
    OUR SYSTEM was not designed to be progressive, flat or regressive

    some taxes are designed to be progressive and nothing in the enabling legislation discusses other taxes from the several states as being relevant.

  5. #775
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    OUR SYSTEM was not designed to be progressive, flat or regressive

    some taxes are designed to be progressive and nothing in the enabling legislation discusses other taxes from the several states as being relevant.
    Go ahead and explain your argument. You think that nobody gave thought to how the tax system would affect different people differently? It was just a historical accident? Policies randomly thrown together? Even if that were true, which obviously is absurd, why the hell would that mean we shouldn't fix it now?

  6. #776
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Go ahead and explain your argument. You think that nobody gave thought to how the tax system would affect different people differently? It was just a historical accident? Policies randomly thrown together? Even if that were true, which obviously is absurd, why the hell would that mean we shouldn't fix it now?
    given that different states have radically different tax systems and given that my income taxes under the federal system no longer allows me to deduct state sales taxes etc WTH do you think?

    the federal system is a different sovereign than the state (its that pesky federalism thing again) and the last I checked, the federal system doesn't credit me for living in a highly taxed state like Ohio. So again you are mistaken

  7. #777
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    given that different states have radically different tax systems and given that my income taxes under the federal system no longer allows me to deduct state sales taxes etc WTH do you think?

    the federal system is a different sovereign than the state (its that pesky federalism thing again) and the last I checked, the federal system doesn't credit me for living in a highly taxed state like Ohio. So again you are mistaken
    Not sure why you think that matters. Are you saying that you don't think we should consider state taxes because they vary? Why? Finish your argument.

  8. #778
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Not sure why you think that matters. Are you saying that you don't think we should consider state taxes because they vary? Why? Finish your argument.
    I don't believe in taxes on income so its a stupid question to ask me. I also believe that most of what the federal government does is improper and should be left to the states. Thus if a state wants to be a welfare paradise it can do so and of course the parasites will flock to it. of course people like me would leave if our taxes went way up and by that ability to migrate, a state could not be too generous with its tax dollars.

  9. #779
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I don't believe in taxes on income so its a stupid question to ask me. I also believe that most of what the federal government does is improper and should be left to the states. Thus if a state wants to be a welfare paradise it can do so and of course the parasites will flock to it. of course people like me would leave if our taxes went way up and by that ability to migrate, a state could not be too generous with its tax dollars.
    Ok well, anyways, I gather you've conceded all the arguments relevant to this thread. Move along.

  10. #780
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,766

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Ok well, anyways, I gather you've conceded all the arguments relevant to this thread. Move along.
    when someone awards himself a victory it pretty much suggests he was thrashed.

    you never did answer your purpose in starting this thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •