Page 61 of 192 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 610 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #601
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,602

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAR View Post
    It is not the responsibility of government to feed the people.
    What does "promote the general welfare" mean to you?

    What does "insure domestic tranquility" mean to you?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #602
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,602

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I suspect you wouldn't do real well against people who spend most of their weekends engaged in shooting competitions. I have competed for 35 years against cops and ex military and few of them are any really good. you ought to look at who wins most of the big bucks pistol competitions. Guys Like Leatham and Barnhart aren't military but they get paid a lot of money to teach military and cops shooting techniques
    How many of those shooting competition targets shoot back?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #603
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,602

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the people who are heard tend to be the rich lefties-Obama, Buffett, Soros.

    and nothing is more sinister machiavellian than watching rich dems whine about the rich
    To the contrary. The most sinister machiavellian thing I have seen in modern politics is selling people a cartload of ideological BS which brainwashes them into voting contrary to their own economic interests in the ridiculous expectation that they too, someway, somehow will break bread with the top 1% at the Country Club and will share Dom and caviar with Muffy and Scooter.

    That is positively pure evil.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #604
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Prague, Czech Rep.
    Last Seen
    10-10-12 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,880

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    To the contrary. The most sinister machiavellian thing I have seen in modern politics is selling people a cartload of ideological BS which brainwashes them into voting contrary to their own economic interests in the ridiculous expectation that they too, someway, somehow will break bread with the top 1% at the Country Club and will share Dom and caviar with Muffy and Scooter.

    That is positively pure evil.
    This is something I find rather disturbing. Haymarket thinks that everyone who is unsuccessful must vote according to his pocketbook - not unusual among his type. I am by no means financially successful being an English teacher in Prague. However, I do have a good life, a good education and the insight to realize that my lack of financial success is the result of a lack of ambition and lethargy on my part. I do not begrudge those more successful than myself not do I demand the wealth they generated, which has also benefited me.

    Haymarket insists he is not envious. I seriously doubt he really believes that himself, but if he does then he certainly lacks the insight or the intellect to do so. I understand that it is far easier to wrap yourself up in a cloak of self-righteous indignation than taking a realistic look at yourself and your own limitations.

  5. #605
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    To the contrary. The most sinister machiavellian thing I have seen in modern politics is selling people a cartload of ideological BS which brainwashes them into voting contrary to their own economic interests in the ridiculous expectation that they too, someway, somehow will break bread with the top 1% at the Country Club and will share Dom and caviar with Muffy and Scooter.

    That is positively pure evil.
    To the contrary, what is sinister and evil is the cartload of ideological BS that brainwashes people into regarding their fellow man as property to be looted and enslaved in order to satisfy their own economic interests.

  6. #606
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Oddly enough we didn't have massive deficits until a conservative spent eight years slashing taxes and yammering about but not actually cutting spending. That's what Republicans do.
    you voted for Obama didn't you? and you are whining about deficits?

  7. #607
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You mean the tax increases didn't hurt economic growth? Imagine that! They won't this time either!

    But back to your supply side economics, where are all the jobs that the tax cuts to the rich for the last ten years was supposed to provide???

    Give the middle class a reason for continuing to subsidize your tax cuts???
    so tell me, other than slaking the envy of some and buying votes for dems what are tax hikes on the rich supposed to do? create jobs-nope, balance the budget? sorry the math doesn't add up.

  8. #608
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    What does "promote the general welfare" mean to you?

    What does "insure domestic tranquility" mean to you?
    your understanding of the premises upon which the constitution was based is rather flawed. Those phrases are not empowering clauses and feeding the people was not a power delegated to the federal government in the constitution. If they were we wouldn't have needed specific empowering clauses which actually spell out the powers of a LIMITED government.

  9. #609
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,544

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
    This is something I find rather disturbing. Haymarket thinks that everyone who is unsuccessful must vote according to his pocketbook - not unusual among his type. I am by no means financially successful being an English teacher in Prague. However, I do have a good life, a good education and the insight to realize that my lack of financial success is the result of a lack of ambition and lethargy on my part. I do not begrudge those more successful than myself not do I demand the wealth they generated, which has also benefited me.

    Haymarket insists he is not envious. I seriously doubt he really believes that himself, but if he does then he certainly lacks the insight or the intellect to do so. I understand that it is far easier to wrap yourself up in a cloak of self-righteous indignation than taking a realistic look at yourself and your own limitations.
    worse, many lefties claim that voting for more and more and more and more government and more and more and more taxes on the rich actually benefits the lower classes. In reality it only benefits politicians and their henchmen in government

  10. #610
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Who the hell is calling for 40 - 70% tax rates on investments. The rate under the conservative Reagan will be just fine.
    Oh, you mean 28%? Ok.

    J-mac

    Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •