Page 20 of 192 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #191
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    "Robber baron" means something specific- people who buy companies and shut them down just to sell off the assets. That's not just spin, that is what his job was until he got into politics.
    So, under this line of reasoning, Barack Obama is nothing more than a megalomaniacal community organizer? Great qualifications for the current Commander In Chief, wouldn't you say?

    Thanks for the history lesson by the way,..... champ.
    Last edited by FluffyNinja; 01-18-12 at 10:21 PM.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  2. #192
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Where are getting that this is his total taxes....state and Federal? Thin air. And where are you getting that "people in his tier don't really pay state taxes?"



    Effective tax rate. Your effective tax rate is probably not even 5%. Why are people ignoring this fact? More fun to bash Romney? Good grief!



    Hello? Anybody home?

    Is Romney's effective tax rate lower than yours? - Jan. 18, 2012
    I already posted the average effective income tax rate for various groups and if you pay an effective rate of 15% you aren't middle class-you are getting near the top one percent and you are over 200K

  3. #193
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Where are getting that this is his total taxes....state and Federal? Thin air.
    Where you getting the idea that he is only talking about federal? He says his effective tax rate is only 15%, not that his federal effective tax rate is only 15?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And where are you getting that "people in his tier don't really pay state taxes?"
    State taxes are mostly regressive. For example, sales, property, unemployment, disability, etc. That means that the higher your income, the lower the percentage of that income you pay in those kinds of taxes. By the time you get up to Romney territory, it is like 0.0001% of your income or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Effective tax rate. Your effective tax rate is probably not even 5%. Why are people ignoring this fact? More fun to bash Romney? Good grief!
    No. Again, the median effective tax rate in the US is 27%. You appear to be thinking of the median FEDERAL effective tax rate. That is much lower. The reason is that state taxes are regressive, federal taxes are more progressive. So the median person mostly pays state taxes.

  4. #194
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Where you getting the idea that he is only talking about federal? He says his effective tax rate is only 15%, not that his federal effective tax rate is only 15?



    State taxes are mostly regressive. For example, sales, property, unemployment, disability, etc. That means that the higher your income, the lower the percentage of that income you pay in those kinds of taxes. By the time you get up to Romney territory, it is like 0.0001% of your income or something.



    No. Again, the median effective tax rate in the US is 27%. You appear to be thinking of the median FEDERAL effective tax rate. That is much lower. The reason is that state taxes are regressive, federal taxes are more progressive. So the median person mostly pays state taxes.
    stop the lying

    this is what the article said


    Republican presidential front-runner Mitt Romney revealed Tuesday that he pays about a 15% income tax rate but continued to resist calls by his rivals to release his tax returns.

  5. #195
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you are just talking nonsense now-you get called on being dishonest and that is the best you can do
    Show me where he said it was just federal or admit you're lying.

  6. #196
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    stop the lying

    this is what the article said


    Republican presidential front-runner Mitt Romney revealed Tuesday that he pays about a 15% income tax rate but continued to resist calls by his rivals to release his tax returns.
    What is the matter with you? Read what you highlighted. Does that say "federal" anywhere?

  7. #197
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Show me where he said it was just federal or admit you're lying.
    you are the one that claimed it included all taxes

    I proved it was income tax and it was obviously federal

    and you continue to play games with average median MARGINAL tax rate

    when someone makes millions and millions their marginal and effective rate is almost the same. someone making it just into the 25% marginal rate is paying NO WHERE NEAR AN EFFECTIVE INCOME TAX rate of 25% because SO LITTLE OF THEIR INCOME IS TAXED at that TOP RATE.


    the entire purpose of this thread was for the envious to whine that Romney doesn't pay as much taxes as the parasite mentality claims he should. and we have shown that he pays a far higher income tax rate than most people-higher than the middle class for example

  8. #198
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Where you getting the idea that he is only talking about federal? He says his effective tax rate is only 15%, not that his federal effective tax rate is only 15?
    I don't know one accounting firm who figures one's effective tax rate including state taxes. You've made an assumption. Actually, both of us have. But let's neither one of us let that get in our way.

    State taxes are mostly regressive. For example, sales, property, unemployment, disability, etc. That means that the higher your income, the lower the percentage of that income you pay in those kinds of taxes. By the time you get up to Romney territory, it is like 0.0001% of your income or something.
    Now you're not even talking about state income tax??

    No. Again, the median effective tax rate in the US is 27%. You appear to be thinking of the median FEDERAL effective tax rate. That is much lower. The reason is that state taxes are regressive, federal taxes are more progressive. So the median person mostly pays state taxes.
    If you're not going to believe information I posted from the Tax Policy Center, I don't know what to say. Oh, wait. How about a link? Romney was talking about his Federal effective tax rate. No one knows what their Federal/State/Local/Sales Tax/Property Tax/Unemployment/Etc/Etc rate is. No one.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #199
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,715

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    What is the matter with you? Read what you highlighted. Does that say "federal" anywhere?
    It sure as hell doesn't say this crap that you did

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    TD how many times have I explained to you why just looking at federal is idiotic? 100 times? Try harder.



    No, that is false. That is Romney's total taxes state and federal. People in his tier don't really pay state taxes. Sales and property and all that are irrelevant percentage wise at his point. But, he says flat out that he paid 15% total in taxes.

  10. #200
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and it was obviously federal
    Why would he say that's what he pays in taxes if he just meant federal taxes? You think he's stupid or something? You think he doesn't understand that state taxes are taxes too?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and you continue to play games with average median MARGINAL tax rate
    No, again, 27% is the median EFFECTIVE tax rate for an American.

    You know what dude. I've said all these things to you like 10 times already. You're just doing that thing where you intentionally play an idiot to irritate me. I'm done replying to you again.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •