Page 154 of 192 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #1531
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    two factory workers who bought a home together at the right time and invested in a company pension could easily be considered rich by your master when they retired.

    if you don't like what CEO's are paid buy a company and pay your CEO less or get enough votes to demand that the board reduce pay. that is the proper way to do that. its not the government's role to do that or to tax those who do well just to make people like you feel less butt-hurt about not being well paid as those executives
    Sorry, but that's not a solution, though I do think that there are serious problems in our system of corporate governance. So we're left with the fact that the rich are consuming an ever increasing piece of the economic pie, and are, accordingly, paying a bigger -- though not a PROPORTIONATELY bigger -- piece of the tax pie.

    And for the 100th time, drop the idiotic, ad hominem envy schtick.

  2. #1532
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Sorry, but that's not a solution, though I do think that there are serious problems in our system of corporate governance. So we're left with the fact that the rich are consuming an ever increasing piece of the economic pie, and are, accordingly, paying a bigger -- though not a PROPORTIONATELY bigger -- piece of the tax pie.

    And for the 100th time, drop the idiotic, ad hominem envy schtick.
    you all would have a point if the top one percent were paying less of the income tax than their share of the income. No one can take your petulant whining about the rich seriously if they are even half honest when the top one percent make 22% of the income but pay 40% of the income tax (and throw in the death tax as a surcharge and it goes up a bit)

  3. #1533
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you all would have a point if the top one percent were paying less of the income tax than their share of the income. No one can take your petulant whining about the rich seriously if they are even half honest when the top one percent make 22% of the income but pay 40% of the income tax (and throw in the death tax as a surcharge and it goes up a bit)
    We have a progressive tax code. That's how it works. Granted, it's not nearly as progressive as it used to be when socialists like Harry Truman and Ike Eisenhower were running the show.

  4. #1534
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    We have a progressive tax code. That's how it works. Granted, it's not nearly as progressive as it used to be when socialists like Harry Truman and Ike Eisenhower were running the show.
    we have a progressive income tax code. we have a mixed tax system of state and federal taxes that include progressive taxes, regressive taxes and flat taxes. we never intended to have a completely progressive tax system and discussing how progressive the system is by including non-progressive taxes in it

  5. #1535
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Romney gave 7 million to charity. what did Kerry (a guy who married into his money) give?

  6. #1536
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Romney gave 7 million to charity. what did Kerry (a guy who married into his money) give?
    Kerry filed separately from his wife -- who has all the money. He reported charitable donations amounting to over 20% of his personal income ... to Romney's 11 or 12%? BTW, aren't Mormons required to tithe 10%?

  7. #1537
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Kerry filed separately from his wife -- who has all the money. He reported charitable donations amounting to over 20% of his personal income ... to Romney's 11 or 12%? BTW, aren't Mormons required to tithe 10%?
    so Kerry paid for the yacht based on what he earned? LOL

  8. #1538
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so Kerry paid for the yacht based on what he earned? LOL
    No, but we don't have his wife's tax returns, AFAIK.

    To answer my own question: yes, Mormons ARE required to tithe 10% of their income to charity.

  9. #1539
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,658

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    No, but we don't have his wife's tax returns, AFAIK.

    To answer my own question: yes, Mormons ARE required to tithe 10% of their income to charity.
    so what? its still voluntary. 7 million to charity and millions to the government and the parasite pimps who are called democrat politicians will whine its not enough

  10. #1540
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    so what? its still voluntary. 7 million to charity and millions to the government and the parasite pimps who are called democrat politicians will whine its not enough
    No, no. He didn't give $7 million to charity. That was mostly just donations to the LDS. He did give a solid chunk of money to actual charity though. $1.5 million in 2010 and $500k in 2011.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •