Page 152 of 192 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #1511
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    more stupid lies. how does the 99 suffer? are you saying that the rich who pay 40% of the income tax-the highest amount in 6 decades, hurt the others by paying that much? Your problem is you think that the rich exist to fund everyone else. what hurts the middle class is 60 years of them becoming dependent on more and more government and them thinking that the rich have a duty to pay high taxes so they can pay artificially low taxes
    Speaking of stupid lies.... Let's go over this again. The rich are paying a higher percentage of total taxes because they have a MUCH higher percentage of total income than they used to. They are actually paying a much lower RATE than they used to. Obviously in order to finance those very low tax rates we have to make up for it somewhere else. Presently we're making up for it by borrowing a lot of money. Now, ALL of the Republican candidates have proposed tax plans that would give the rich MASSIVE tax cuts ... and much smaller cuts for everyone else. This is exactly the opposite of what our economy needs.

  2. #1512
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,545

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Nadal? What a silly analogy. The fact is that rich today are much richer RELATIVE TO EVERYONE ELSE than they have been since the 1920s.

    quit whining. to become rich these days you no longer can be big dumb and strong like factory workers could be in the 50's and make a good living. You have to have advanced technical skills and that comes with having advanced education. people who eschew education are falling behind

  3. #1513
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Your dishonest take on my analogy is pathetic and others have called you on it. I was merely noting that "Truthful" comments about facts can still lead to dishonest comparisons. So I picked two groups, white criminals and black criminals and created a hypothetical

    that HYPOTHETICAL being IF black MURDERERS Get more years than WHITE criminals who are convicted of less serious crimes, it would be a truthful statement to say those black criminals were punished more harshly than the white criminals but it would be dishonest to use that truthful observation to CONCLUDE that the justice system treats blacks worse than whites. I could have used asian and hispanic, male or female, straight or gay for the same analogy You clearly tried to attack my post because

    1) you could not deny my analogy was accurate when applied to the dishonest comparison of THE ENTIRE Tax bill of a 50K a year earner with one tax applied to the income of a rich investor.

    2) but you felt a need to respond so you insinuated I was making a racist argument when everyone else knows and saw that was a dishonest creation on your part
    OMFG!! Is that what this is all about? I read the initial post way back...never thought a thing about it. What a waste of bandwidth that discussion's been. Jesus Mary & Joseph.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #1514
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Your dishonest take on my analogy is pathetic and others have called you on it. I was merely noting that "Truthful" comments about facts can still lead to dishonest comparisons. So I picked two groups, white criminals and black criminals and created a hypothetical

    that HYPOTHETICAL being IF black MURDERERS Get more years than WHITE criminals who are convicted of less serious crimes, it would be a truthful statement to say those black criminals were punished more harshly than the white criminals but it would be dishonest to use that truthful observation to CONCLUDE that the justice system treats blacks worse than whites. I could have used asian and hispanic, male or female, straight or gay for the same analogy You clearly tried to attack my post because

    1) you could not deny my analogy was accurate when applied to the dishonest comparison of THE ENTIRE Tax bill of a 50K a year earner with one tax applied to the income of a rich investor.

    2) but you felt a need to respond so you insinuated I was making a racist argument when everyone else knows and saw that was a dishonest creation on your part
    Nobody called you a racist so please take your usual strawman back into your barn.

    Nobody said you were making a racist argument so take that strawman back with its twin.

    Of course, you could co back and quote me calling you a RACIST in this thread and prove me wrong but that would be impossible because it never happened. All I told you was this

    Bringing race into this does not advance the discussion.
    Now will you apologize for making false accusations against me as individual of honor and integrity would do when caught making false charges? Will Miami Florida get two feet of snow tonight?

    I pointed that out because you brought in a topic that had nothing to do with what was being discussed. You brought race into a topic that had nothing to do with race. Its really that clear and simple.
    Last edited by haymarket; 01-24-12 at 11:20 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #1515
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,545

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Speaking of stupid lies.... Let's go over this again. The rich are paying a higher percentage of total taxes because they have a MUCH higher percentage of total income than they used to. They are actually paying a much lower RATE than they used to. Obviously in order to finance those very low tax rates we have to make up for it somewhere else. Presently we're making up for it by borrowing a lot of money. Now, ALL of the Republican candidates have proposed tax plans that would give the rich MASSIVE tax cuts ... and much smaller cuts for everyone else. This is exactly the opposite of what our economy needs.
    rate means nothing. everyone else is paying a far lower rate as well. we are borrowing money because an indolent middle class demands all sorts of stuff it is unwilling to pay for and politicians are unwilling to lose their votes by either not giving them what they want or raising their taxes.

    the rich are unfairly overtaxed based on

    1) what they get from government and what they use as provided by government

    2) what others pay

    in the socialist euro nations the rich actually pay about the same percentage of the taxes as their share of the inome. In America the rich pay far more of the taxes than their share of the income

  6. #1516
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,545

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Nobody called you a racist so please take your usual strawman back into your barn.

    Nobody said you were making a racist argument so take that strawman back with its twin.

    Of course, you could co back and quote me calling you a RACIST in this thread and prove me wrong but that would be impossible because it never happened. All I told you was this



    I pointed that out because you brought in a topic that had nothing to do with what was being discussed. You brought race into a topic that had nothing to do with race. Its really that clear and simple.
    So why don't you answer an easy question at least 4 posters have asked you

    what was your purpose for claiming I introduced "race" into this discussion?

  7. #1517
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    OMFG!! Is that what this is all about? I read the initial post way back...never thought a thing about it. What a waste of bandwidth that discussion's been. Jesus Mary & Joseph.
    I am in 100% total agreement Maggie. Well said.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #1518
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:54 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,605

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    So why don't you answer an easy question at least 4 posters have asked you

    what was your purpose for claiming I introduced "race" into this discussion?
    to inform you that you introducing race did not advance the discussion. That was self evident by the nine words I used in my post.

    Bringing race into this does not advance the discussion.
    I have no idea why you would be unclear about something so straight forward and clear.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #1519
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,545

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    OMFG!! Is that what this is all about? I read the initial post way back...never thought a thing about it. What a waste of bandwidth that discussion's been. Jesus Mary & Joseph.
    I am still wondering what Haymarket's purpose was in whining that i "introduced race" into this discussion

  10. #1520
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,545

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    to inform you that you introducing race did not advance the discussion. That was self evident by the nine words I used in my post.



    I have no idea why you would be unclear about something so straight forward and clear.
    being afraid to actually address the point I made but instead whining about race did what to advance the discussion

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •