Page 145 of 192 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,450 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #1441
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,613

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Do you think it is "screwing the rich" to require someone making $24 million dollars to pay the same effective tax rate as someone making $50,000?
    that would mean the guy making 24 million would pay substantially less FEDERAL INCOME taxes because the effective tax rate would be much lower

  2. #1442
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,613

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    How is another 5% on capital gains going to going to make the country more prosperous?
    it is not intended to.

    it is intended to make envious losers and those who derive their wealth and power appealing to such losers feel better

  3. #1443
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,613

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I agree with everything you say Maggie but I wanted to point out that the reason he pays a 15% on his salary is the same reason Hedgefund managers pay 15%.
    what salary?

  4. #1444
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that would mean the guy making 24 million would pay substantially less FEDERAL INCOME taxes because the effective tax rate would be much lower
    I'll try to spell it out for you, hell I'll even number them for you as is your custom:

    1. When you add the federal income tax that Romney paid along with the Federal payroll taxes he paid, he owes 13.9% of his income in taxes.

    2. When you add the federal income tax that someone making $50,000 paid along with the Federal payroll taxes he paid, he owes 22% of his income in taxes.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #1445
    Don't Mess With Texas
    mertex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,382

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    when you start howling about fair tax rate I know I am dealing with a far left extremist.
    When I hear someone defend the Bush tax cuts I know I am dealing with a Sheeple.

    what isn't fair are people who pay no income taxes voting to increase the taxes of those who pay most of them
    Maybe if those who pay the most (as you claim) would raise the income of those who pay no income tax (as you claim), those who pay no income tax (as you claim) would make more than the bare minimum, and those who pay the most (as you claim) wouldn't take more of it and would then not pay the most.

    But the reasoning of conservatives, as uttered by Joe Walsh in support of Gingrich, is that there should be no tax for capital gains - then all those uber wealthy people, who are benefitting from the Bush tax cuts, wouldn't have to worry if the Bush tax cuts were done away with, because they could claim all their income from capital gains and pay not taxes at all - then they would be able to say they are just like the poor people, who pay no taxes. Because, after all, the poor could take advantage of capital gains just the same as them, since that is what conservative logic amounts to.



    "I have been thinking that I would make a proposition to my Republican friends... that if they will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop telling the truth about them."
    --Adlai Stevenson, Politician





  6. #1446
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Inheriting money is somebody getting money they did not previously have. Income tax should indeed be paid upon it because they have new income. Its pretty straight forward and simple. My position is based on straight forward principle and does not waver: the government should not discriminate or give preferential treatment to the source of the income.

    My position has been consistent on that from the very start.
    This has to be the greediest generation in the history of the world, bar none.

    Not only are we saddling the next generation with many trillions of unpayable debt (at least those who survive abortion roulette) we are now telling them that we want to tax anything they might possibly inherit from their parents. In order to spend it on what? More social programs for the present generation, a woeful bunch of sloths who want the government to make every decision for them, who can't handle personal responsibility.

    Instead of inheriting wealth they are inheriting trillions in debt. This inheritance is being ignored.

    While driving their SUV's until they got bored with them they are now insisting that there be fewer opportunities for the next generation to enjoy the same lifestyles , that oil exploration must be limited, as well as coal, etc.

    So what is this deadbeat, slothful generation leaving the next generation? Debt, rules and regulations their own grandparents would have never recognized.

    There is no shame anymore.

  7. #1447
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,781

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    it is not intended to.

    it is intended to make envious losers and those who derive their wealth and power appealing to such losers feel better
    That is just silly Turtle. Its about two things
    1 - needed revenue to offset deficits
    2- tax justice for a better America
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #1448
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Penn's Woods
    Last Seen
    09-01-12 @ 09:09 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,984

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    the stink is caused by the farter who expelled the offensive gas... not the one who noticed it ...... see post 1267.
    You mean the one who noticed it and had to make a big deal about it. There was not much notable or offensive about that post, until you decided to make it a major issue.

    Yay for you. You get extra prick points.

  9. #1449
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That is just silly Turtle. Its about two things
    1 - needed revenue to offset deficits
    2- tax justice for a better America
    It has been calculated that if the federal government were to increase every single tax by 30% it would take 25 years to balance the books BUT only if the government stopped spending more money. And what is the likelihood of that?

    You can kiss the idea of a "better America" goodbye. That's gone and you pissed it away.



    Benjamin Franklin was said to have been asked, “Well, Doctor, what have we got—a Republic or a Monarchy?”

    To which he replied, “A Republic, if you can keep it.”

    He seems to have had some foreboding about this generation of Americans.

  10. #1450
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I'll try to spell it out for you, hell I'll even number them for you as is your custom:

    1. When you add the federal income tax that Romney paid along with the Federal payroll taxes he paid, he owes 13.9% of his income in taxes.

    2. When you add the federal income tax that someone making $50,000 paid along with the Federal payroll taxes he paid, he owes 22% of his income in taxes.

    No, no, no....This is the only way you can get to your number to prop up your claim, I understand, but you have ignored for quite a few pages now, and I know this to be true, because I am that earner you are talking about...The employee has about 7% of their salary withheld for Federal income tax, the employer pays another 7%. At the end of the year as it is now, I get my W-2, and do my taxes. After my deductions, I usually get back about $1500.00 from federal making my tax that I paid throughout the year, about 6% or so.

    Your intentionally attempting to meld any, and every tax together concerning someone making roughly my salary in order to make your meme work, which is at best a clear misunderstanding of what people actually pay, at worst you are lying.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •