Page 109 of 192 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,090 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #1081
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Correctly stating that you and others are impotent to provide a rational and logical case for he discriminatory capital gains preferences is a FACT. Or can you provide a link to where you did so and prove me wrong?
    The problem is the premise. The FACT that you state they are discriminatory is merely your opinion of cap gain rates. It is this opinion that we disagree with thus we are neither wrong or right.

  2. #1082
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The average American pays approximately twice the percentage of their income in taxes as Romney does. True or false?
    the average american pays far lower a percentage of federal income tax than Mitt Romney
    the average american pays far less tax dollars to both state and federal governments than Mitt Romney
    yet the average american uses more direct government services and costs both state and federal governments more money than Mitt Romney and yet the average american has the same voting rights as Mitt Romney

    what do you think Mitt Romney pays as a percentage of his income in all taxes?

  3. #1083
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Just as I thought, you nor the GOP can come up with any reasons why the working class should vote to continue the tax cuts for the rich.

    Thanks for providing evidence of my claim!!!!
    You should add "the Democrats" to your statement. Congress was so busy pushing Obamacare down our throats when they had the majority, when they could have, had they chosen to, gotten rid of those tax cuts for the rich...reformed the entire system. Where were the Democrats?

    (I support Obamacare, just so you know...but they most certainly did jam it down our throats, like it or not...)
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  4. #1084
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Nope, not playing that game today...You are a relatively intelligent person, I am sure you either already know, or can figure it out by reading the thread. Please do so.
    No, I know, of course, that I've never said that profit was bad. Where I think you're getting mixed up is that maybe you're assuming that because I think investment profit should be taxes like wages that that means I hate profit or something... But that's stupid. None of the things we could tax are like horrible things. Working isn't evil, buying things isn't evil, inheritance isn't evil, and so on. But we need to tax stuff nonetheless.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Not true. I work, and I have investments. If I have capital gains on my small (by comparison) investments, then my rate is 15% just like the millionaire. So tell me how they pay less? if you can.
    You pay MORE than a super rich investor, not less. There are two main reasons you pay more:

    1) You have less income total so the regressive taxes like property tax and sales tax take a bigger bite percentage wise
    2) Much of your income comes from working, which is taxed at much higher rates, where most or all of the super rich person's income comes from investing, which is taxed at a much lower rate

  5. #1085
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    The problem is the premise. The FACT that you state they are discriminatory is merely your opinion of cap gain rates. It is this opinion that we disagree with thus we are neither wrong or right.
    we can objectively say the rich are discriminated against because

    1) they are the only group that actually bears a HIGHer percentage of the income tax than their share of the income

    2) they pay far more actual tax dollars than any other group of the same percentage of the population and

    3) they get no additional governmental benefits

    to claim that the 50% who pay no income taxes are discriminated against is without any objective merit. They get tons of federal benefits and pay absolutely no income taxes

  6. #1086
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the average american pays far lower a percentage of federal income tax than Mitt Romney
    the average american pays far less tax dollars to both state and federal governments than Mitt Romney
    yet the average american uses more direct government services and costs both state and federal governments more money than Mitt Romney and yet the average american has the same voting rights as Mitt Romney
    Nope nope nope, that wasn't the question. Try again.

    The question is, is it true that Mitt Romney pays approximately half the percentage of his income in taxes as the average American. Is that true or is that false?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    what do you think Mitt Romney pays as a percentage of his income in all taxes?
    Somewhere between 15% and 16%.

  7. #1087
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Are you for real? Are you really claiming that you have not read any posts from me saying that a person who makes $600K in salary pays over twice what a person making $600K in capital gains pays and that is on its face discriminatory and a blatant preference?

    Is there any difference in your mind between investment income, and wages?

    That is the perfect example of a discriminatory preference and I cannot imagine any rational person would deny it. The question becomes how can you justify it?
    Is it the law?

    How are you doing on that section of the Constitution you claim guarantees the pursuit of happiness?
    I'll look for it in probably the same section you think that a clause grants a right.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  8. #1088
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,698

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    they think repeating the same lie over and over will convince the weakminded

    the fact is, only a few taxes are intended to be progressive. we can argue whether those taxes intended to be progressive are too progressive or "progressive enough"

    but to claim an entire tax system that encompasses 51 or more different taxing entities (and I am not even counting cities) and dozens of different kids of taxes) is "not progressive enough" when only a few of the taxes in that entire system (as if state and federal taxing authorities coordinate their taxes) is blatantly dishonest. Its like saying the american high school sports system doesn't have enough racquet sports because only tennis is normally the only racquet sport in HS athletics. that is based on an assumption that racquet sports are better than say sports that involve contact like wrestling or use no equipment (like cross country or swimming)

    to try to evaluate a system's progressivity when most of the components are not progressive nor were intended to be progressive is blatantly dishonest
    And still no logical case made for the discriminatory preferential tax rates for capital gains which benefit mostly the wealthy.

    Lots of pontificating. But still no case made.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #1089
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Nope nope nope, that wasn't the question. Try again.

    The question is, is it true that Mitt Romney pays approximately half the percentage of his income in taxes as the average American. Is that true or is that false?



    Somewhere between 15% and 16%.
    You are lying again

    Romney pays at least 5% of his income to state income taxes in Mass. and he pays at least 15% on his investment income and 35% on his earned income. This doesn't even take into account sales taxes and property taxes and he has homes in two of the highest property tax states in the country

    your 16% estimate is so incredibly wrong the rest of your claims cannot be taken seriously

    of course given your constant lie about this issue I suggest your opinions have no merit whatsoever since you deliberately tried to confuse Romney's income tax rate with other peoples' total-state and federal tax rate

  10. #1090
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,698

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Is there any difference in your mind between investment income, and wages?



    Is it the law?



    I'll look for it in probably the same section you think that a clause grants a right.

    j-mac
    So you are now a statist who uses the existence of the law to provide the justification for the principle behind the law? Is that your position?

    I made no claims about what was in the Constitution that I did not back up. If you claim I did please present that claim of my words.

    You on the other hand claimed that the Constitution guarantees the pursuit of happiness. Did you find it yet? Your gross error of fact identifies perfectly one of the fatal errors made in the conservative ideology.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •