Page 107 of 192 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #1061
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,864

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    We expect it to be obvious to you. They pay these rates because the current laws demand these rates…Why do you think they are wrong? And more importantly what are you etal going to do to change it? This rich/poor conflict has been going on for way over 100 years and it remains.
    Aha. Another defender standing impotent to defend the discriminatory preferential tax rates on capital gains that benefit mostly the wealthy.

    This is getting very revealing. A site about DEBATE where the defenders of the status quo cannot even debate.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #1062
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    No of course not. Where did you get that idea from?
    Your own words.

    So explain again why you think we should tax working much more heavily than investing?
    I don't. I do not believe that taxation on income should be taxed at all. Only that which is spent for goods or services should be enough to fund the specific enumerated powers of the federal government. Everything else should be a states issue. Period.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #1063
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    massive fail
    So do I understand correctly that you now acknowledge that your silly "envy" rant has no actual weight in the discussion? Or do you have some defense of the position that we should keep giving tax breaks to the super rich because you feel like people on this forum here are envious?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    there should be no tax on income
    Yes I know, you want purely regressive taxes. For no particular reason other than because you think taxing the poor more than the rich is cool. But that isn't relevant here. Here we are discussing whether investors should get lower tax rates than people who work.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and its childish to claim those who pay millions are getting a break when half the country pays no income tax despite using government services at much higher rates than that one percent who pays 40% of the income taxes
    Ok, here is the first thing you need to tatoo on your arm- "everybody pays taxes, the average American pays 27%". It'd save us all a lot of time and frustration if you could just remember that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    and spending on the bottom 50% is what costs trillions
    Oops, you forget that you already have faced the arguments that the rich, not the bottom 50%, draw far more benefit from society, and failed to come up with a counter argument. So, unless you have one now, you lose. Still.

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the rich pay more than their fair share. When the other classes start doing that maybe your petulant whining about the rich getting some sort of "Break" might have some merit.
    Actually, no. The point of this thread is that rather than paying their fair share, people like Romney actually only pay half as much as the average working person.

  4. #1064
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Do you understand the basic concept that a person making $600K per year pays 35% on the salary while a person making $600L per year in capital gains pays 15% on that same amount of money?

    And if you do understand that reality, how in heavens name can you make statements about paying MORE when they are paying LESS?

    Can you answer that please?
    do you understand that if the person making 600K a year in salary also invests he will pay the same 15%

    Do you understand that I pay far more taxes than 99% of the country and I get nothing in return above and beyond what you and others get.

    Do you understand that someone making a million a year on investment income pays far more taxes than at least 99% of the country?

    do you understand that the same government that claims multiple brackets on earned income is good says that only two brackets on investment income is also good?

    And I wait for you to justify why a million dollar profit earned by a company has 600 thousand taken by the government

  5. #1065
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,864

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Your own words.



    I don't. I do not believe that taxation on income should be taxed at all. Only that which is spent for goods or services should be enough to fund the specific enumerated powers of the federal government. Everything else should be a states issue. Period.

    j-mac
    Did you find that section of the US Constitution yet that you claim guarantees the pursuit of happiness?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1066
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,683

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    So do I understand correctly that you now acknowledge that your silly "envy" rant has no actual weight in the discussion? Or do you have some defense of the position that we should keep giving tax breaks to the super rich because you feel like people on this forum here are envious?



    Yes I know, you want purely regressive taxes. For no particular reason other than because you think taxing the poor more than the rich is cool. But that isn't relevant here. Here we are discussing whether investors should get lower tax rates than people who work.



    Ok, here is the first thing you need to tatoo on your arm- "everybody pays taxes, the average American pays 27%". It'd save us all a lot of time and frustration if you could just remember that.



    Oops, you forget that you already have faced the arguments that the rich, not the bottom 50%, draw far more benefit from society, and failed to come up with a counter argument. So, unless you have one now, you lose. Still.



    Actually, no. The point of this thread is that rather than paying their fair share, people like Romney actually only pay half as much as the average working person.
    this lie has been debunked dozens of times

    Romeny pays federal income tax rates of 15% on investment income. the average working person pays an income tax rate of less than ten percent.

    stop lying

  7. #1067
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Your own words.
    Quote please.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I don't. I do not believe that taxation on income should be taxed at all. Only that which is spent for goods or services should be enough to fund the specific enumerated powers of the federal government. Everything else should be a states issue. Period.
    Ok. So you have no defense of a system where investors pay lower rates than people who work. If you'd like, feel free to start another thread on the role of federal government.

  8. #1068
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Aha. Another defender standing impotent to defend the discriminatory preferential tax rates on capital gains that benefit mostly the wealthy.

    This is getting very revealing. A site about DEBATE where the defenders of the status quo cannot even debate.
    Revealing? you want revealing? How many times have I asked tonight for you to explain what is discriminatory about the cap gains tax, and you absolutely ignore that all together in favor of repeating your inane one liner as ad hom attack....

    My conclusion is that you can not explain it and are resorting to childish repetition, there fore you have already lost your argument and are worthy of no more response until you answer the question.

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #1069
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,864

    Re: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

    from Turtle Dude

    do you understand that if the person making 600K a year in salary also invests he will pay the same 15%
    I don't care if they use it for toilet paper. Its irrelevant what they do with it after they pay the 35% while others pay less than half on the same money.

    Do you understand that I pay far more taxes than 99% of the country and I get nothing in return above and beyond what you and others get.
    Since you are not suppose to- its irrelevant.

    Do you understand that someone making a million a year on investment income pays far more taxes than at least 99% of the country?
    And someone getting the same amount in salary pays more than twice that on the same money.

    do you understand that the same government that claims multiple brackets on earned income is good says that only two brackets on investment income is also good?
    So what?

    And I wait for you to justify why a million dollar profit earned by a company has 600 thousand taken by the government
    If you show me the company with appropriate verifiable links and evidence, I will be happy to answer that question.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #1070
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Aha. Another defender standing impotent to defend the discriminatory preferential tax rates on capital gains that benefit mostly the wealthy.

    This is getting very revealing. A site about DEBATE where the defenders of the status quo cannot even debate.

    Because I thought this to be so eloquent I think this is an appropriate place for its modified usage…

    It is another insult to state that those who disagree with left (sic) wing goals and policies lack intellect or insight. Again, this is a disgusting and pathetic attempt to paint your ideological enemies as unintelligent as you true believers are. Why don't you deal with the actual policies being discussed instead of attacking those who disagree with you painting them as 'unsuccessful' - a charge which you have no information which to make that judgment, or lacking intellect or intelligence which is just plain silly given my educational attainment, career, and ability to show you where you are in serious error


    Thank you for that...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •