Page 105 of 192 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #1041
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,670

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Again with that one eh? lol.
    if the envy shoe fits wear it

    when we see comments about violins, silken diapers etc its really hard to ignore the fact that spite and envy play a rather large role

  2. #1042
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    if the envy shoe fits wear it
    You understand that that isn't a real argument don't you?

  3. #1043
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You understand that that isn't a real argument don't you?
    Its all he's got..............

    Neither he, nor the GOP can answer why the working class should vote to continue the tax cuts for the wealthy.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #1044
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,670

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    You understand that that isn't a real argument don't you?
    it is an undeniably accurate accusation as to what motivates arguments that are both economically idiotic and incredibly contradictory

  5. #1045
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    the owners own the assets of a company

    try again

    and tell everyone why the government deserves SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS of a MILLION EARNED by a corporation
    The stock holders own shares of the company. As such they have very limited rights.


    You do know that in the law there is a difference between the legal entity of a corporation which has its own legal obligations and that of a share holder and their legal obligation don't you?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  6. #1046
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,670

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Its all he's got..............

    Neither he, nor the GOP can answer why the working class should vote to continue the tax cuts for the wealthy.
    more appeals to the envy of the mob. why should the rich fund the existence of the poor or allow the working class to have artificially low tax rates? because even those who are looters, or net tax consumers have votes

    If votes were proportionate to the amount of tax dollars a voter pays, the tax system in this country would be far fairer.

  7. #1047
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,853

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    But the original money they made to invest it to make that gain, IS taxed at your 47% number....The reason that cap gains are what they are is because we as a country wanted to have an incentive to invest. So you are against investing. Why?

    j-mac
    You still have yet to give us the name of that high school Economics text where these theories come from.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #1048
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,670

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The stock holders own shares of the company. As such they have very limited rights.


    You do know that in the law there is a difference between the legal entity of a corporation which has its own legal obligations and that of a share holder and their legal obligation don't you?
    I am still waiting for an answer, not your "understanding" about owning companies. I own a couple companies. I do understand what that involves

  9. #1049
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    it is an undeniably accurate accusation as to what motivates arguments that are both economically idiotic and incredibly contradictory
    So to summarize your argument, you contend that we should give a 20% tax break to super rich investors at a cost to the treasury of around half a trillion dollars a year because, in your opinion, a poster on the internet named teamosil is envious of rich people. Is that a correct summary of your position on this issue?

  10. #1050
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    So? They aren't taxed on that money again, they're taxed on new income- the profits.
    So, profit is a bad thing to you?


    There is an incentive to invest until it gets taxed so heavily that it would be better to just leave it under your mattress.. So, like 90% capital tax rate... I wouldn't propose going nearly that high, so that's not an issue.

    All I can say is that either you are so bought into the rhetoric of redistribution of wealth, or callous enough not to care what it would do to our society...Consider.

    A law that prohibits any individual from accumulating more than ten millions or from making more than one million a year restricts the activities of precisely those entrepreneurs who are most successful in filling the wants of consumers. If such a law had been enacted in the United States fifty years ago, many who are multimillionaires today would live in more modest circumstances. But all those new branches of industry which supply the masses with articles unheard of before would operate, if at all, on a much smaller scale, and their products would be beyond the reach of the common man. It is manifestly contrary to the interest of the consumers to prevent the most efficient entrepreneurs from expanding the sphere of their activities up to the limit to which the public approves of their conduct of business by buying their products. Here again the issue is who should by supreme, the consumers or the government? In the unhampered market the behavior of consumers, their buying or abstention from buying, ultimately determines each individual's income and wealth. Should one vest in the government the power to overrule the consumers' choices?

    The incorrigible statolatrist objects. In his opinion what motivates the activities of the great entrepreneur is not the lust for wealth, but the lust for power. Such a "royal merchant" would not restrict his [p. 807] activities if he had to deliver all the surplus earned to the tax collector. His lust for power cannot be weakened by any considerations of mere moneymaking. Let us, for the sake of argument, accept this psychology. But on what else is the power of a businessman founded than on his wealth? How would Rockefeller and Ford have been in a position to acquire "power" if they had been prevented from acquiring wealth? After all, those statolatrists are on comparatively better grounds who want to prohibit the accumulation of wealth precisely because it gives a man economic power. [1]

    Taxes are necessary. But the system of discriminatory taxation universally accepted under the misleading name of progressive taxation of income and inheritance is not a mode of taxation. It is rather a mode of disguised expropriation of the successful capitalists and entrepreneurs. Whatever the governments' satellites may advance in its favor, it is incompatible with the preservation of the market economy. It can at best be considered a means of bringing about socialism. Looking backward on the evolution of income tax rates from the beginning of the Federal income tax in 1913 until the present day, one can hardly believe that the tax will not soon absorb 100 per cent of all the surplus above the average height of the common man's wages.

    XXXII. CONFISCATION AND REDISTRIBUTION: Confiscatory Taxation
    It is the unbridled pursuit of happiness as guaranteed by our constitution, and the freedom of such markets that you can even type such socialist viewpoint.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •