Page 104 of 192 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1914

Thread: Romney reveals he pays about 15% in taxes(edited)

  1. #1031
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    HOw can anyone claim that tax rates discriminate in favor of the rich when one percent pay 40% of the income tax
    If somebody just came by my house once a month and gave me a check for a million bucks for sitting on my ass I don't think I'd be crying about having to pay 15% of it in taxes... In fact, I don't think I could even stomach putting on a little "life is so hard" speech in that scenario even if I was paying 75% in taxes.
    Last edited by teamosil; 01-22-12 at 11:04 PM.

  2. #1032
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I already did. Every time money changes owners its subject to taxation. A service company who handles payroll DOES NOT own the money or get in in payroll for themselves. Turtle has no analogy to stand upon since it is false false false.
    the owners own the assets of a company

    try again

    and tell everyone why the government deserves SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS of a MILLION EARNED by a corporation

  3. #1033
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    If somebody just came by my house once a month and gave me a check for a million bucks for sitting on my ass I don't think I'd be crying about having to pay 15% of it in taxes...
    and if you had wheels you would be a trolley car

    Do you know what you sound like?

    You sound like a couch potato saying "hell if they gave me an olympic bronze medal I wouldn't be whining about not getting the gold

    guess what-those who work that hard aren't satisfied with finishing third or even second. that's why they are where they are

    and its so easy to pretend you would be happy to pay 40% (so stash that nonsense about 15%-none of the rich are complaining about a 15% rate-its the 40-50-60% rate the parasites want to levy on them that we complain about)

    no one gives me or other wealthy people a check. we earn it one way or another

    and since you obviously have proven you will never earn a million dollars, your speculation is specious

  4. #1034
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,319

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    If somebody just came by my house once a month and gave me a check for a million bucks for sitting on my ass I don't think I'd be crying about having to pay 15% of it in taxes... In fact, I don't think I could even stomach putting on a little "life is hard" speech in that scenario even if I was paying 75% in taxes.

    And if that Million was only a hundred because we both know that a million is out of your reach, then you shouldn't be crying about that either because it would be the same 15%...But your argument is like saying "hey, I only got a hundred, give me some of that guy's that got a million..."

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #1035
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    . . . those who work that hard . . .
    Somebody who makes a million a month by working already pays 35% + FICA + employer FICA = 47%. We're talking about the people who get the money without working for it who pay 15%.

  6. #1036
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,319

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Somebody who makes a million a month by working already pays 35% + FICA + employer FICA = 47%. We're talking about the people who get the money without working for it who pay 15%.

    But the original money they made to invest it to make that gain, IS taxed at your 47% number....The reason that cap gains are what they are is because we as a country wanted to have an incentive to invest. So you are against investing. Why?

    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #1037
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Somebody who makes a million a month by working already pays 35% + FICA + employer FICA = 47%. We're talking about the people who get the money without working for it who pay 15%.
    there's that envy thing again. pretending investment isn't working

    Maybe you can step up to the plate and justify why a million dollars is properly diminished by SIX HUNDRED THOUSAND Dollars by the federal government

  8. #1038
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,703

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    But the original money they made to invest it to make that gain, IS taxed at your 47% number....The reason that cap gains are what they are is because we as a country wanted to have an incentive to invest. So you are against investing. Why?

    j-mac
    the only possible answer is envy or an appeal to envy among a certain class of voters. of course you also have the people who truly believe that the government is far better able to use money than those who actually earn it

  9. #1039
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    envy
    Again with that one eh? lol.

  10. #1040
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Romney's tax rate is only half as high as the middle class pays

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    But the original money they made to invest it to make that gain, IS taxed at your 47% number....
    So? They aren't taxed on that money again, they're taxed on new income- the profits.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    The reason that cap gains are what they are is because we as a country wanted to have an incentive to invest. So you are against investing. Why?
    There is an incentive to invest until it gets taxed so heavily that it would be better to just leave it under your mattress.. So, like 90% capital tax rate... I wouldn't propose going nearly that high, so that's not an issue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •