Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 80

Thread: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

  1. #61
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    I replied because your premise is wrong. Environmentalists aren't the main reason that nuclear isn't more prevalent.

    For example, the area in which I live is serviced by a nuclear power plant. The plant submitted plans to add two additional reactors in 2002. In 2009 they temporarily halted their expansion plans, not because of protests, but because state officials would not allow them to raise rates as much as they wanted to raise them in order to finance the project. The plan is back on now and slated to begin construction this year. There have been protests -- both from people with safety concerns and from business groups who oppose the new power lines that will be required. Those protests have had no effect on the expansion plans, but the cost issue temporarily stopped the project in its tracks.
    Besides your personal beliefs regarding the reactor in your area, do you have any proof of how many are stopped due to money vs environmental pressure ??

    Give me the name of the nuclear plant and I'll look it up myself.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  2. #62
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Besides your personal beliefs regarding the reactor in your area, do you have any proof of how many are stopped due to money vs environmental pressure ??

    Give me the name of the nuclear plant and I'll look it up myself.
    They aren't my "beliefs" about a nuclear plant, they are the facts about the Turkey Point nuclear power plant.

    The cost factor is generally a bar to starting nuclear projects from the start. It's not often that a company fails to take costs into consideration before construction begins, though changing economic conditions can push borderline projects into the red, e.g. Work on Newport News nuclear manufacturing plant halted | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

    (692-93.5970) Dr. Mark Cooper - These three major developments in the nuclear power industry in late June underscore the key findings of the study "The Economics of Nuclear Reactors, Renaissance or Relapse?", released on June 18 by economist Dr. Mark Cooper, a senior fellow for economic analysis at the Institute for Energy and the Environment at Vermont Law School. The analysis of over three dozen cost estimates for proposed new nuclear reactors shows that the projected price tags for the plants have quadrupled since the start of the industry's so-called "nuclear renaissance" at the beginning of this decade - a striking parallel to the eventually seven-fold increase in reactor costs estimates that doomed the "Great Bandwagon Market" of the 1960s and 1970s, when in the U.S.A. half of planned nuclear reactors had to be abandoned or cancelled due to massive cost overruns.
    http://www.nirs.org/mononline/nm692_3.pdf

    Much as I hate to inject facts into your ideological ranting....
    Last edited by AdamT; 01-17-12 at 11:40 AM.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    They aren't my "beliefs" about a nuclear plant, they are the facts about the Turkey Point nuclear power plant.

    The cost factor is generally a bar to starting nuclear projects from the start. It's not often that a company fails to take costs into consideration before construction begins, though changing economic conditions can push borderline projects into the red, e.g. Work on Newport News nuclear manufacturing plant halted | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
    From your link:

    Areva Newport News says it is shelving the project due to unfavorable market conditions and uncertainty over U.S. energy policy.
    Uncertainty over U.S. energy policy ??? Hmmm, wonder why any company would be uncertain under Obama's rock solid leadership ??

    Don't see anything about cost overruns though.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  4. #64
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    From your link:



    Uncertainty over U.S. energy policy ??? Hmmm, wonder why any company would be uncertain under Obama's rock solid leadership ??

    Don't see anything about cost overruns though.
    You didn't see where they said that the halt was due in large part to "market conditions"? What do you suppose that means? It means that it's not cost effective to build the nuclear power plant.

    As far as energy policy, there is always uncertainty. Certainly the Obama administration has never been anything but supportive of nuclear power. Obama Administration Stands Behind Nuclear Power - WSJ.com

  5. #65
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You didn't see where they said that the halt was due in large part to "market conditions"? What do you suppose that means? It means that it's not cost effective to build the nuclear power plant.

    As far as energy policy, there is always uncertainty. Certainly the Obama administration has never been anything but supportive of nuclear power. Obama Administration Stands Behind Nuclear Power - WSJ.com
    Evidently the people at your nuclear plant disagree. They clearly said "uncertainty over U.S. energy policy". I think they made it clear what they think of Obama's "supportive nuclear power policy". But you feel free to drink the kool-aid from the administration.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #66
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Evidently the people at your nuclear plant disagree. They clearly said "uncertainty over U.S. energy policy". I think they made it clear what they think of Obama's "supportive nuclear power policy". But you feel free to drink the kool-aid from the administration.
    Right, I'm relying on the Obama administration's multiple statements and actions that are all supportive of nuclear power, and you deny the statements and actions out of hand with no basis in fact and you accuse ME of being a Koolaid drinker. You can't make this **** up!

  7. #67
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Right, I'm relying on the Obama administration's multiple statements and actions that are all supportive of nuclear power, and you deny the statements and actions out of hand with no basis in fact and you accuse ME of being a Koolaid drinker. You can't make this **** up!
    My basis in fact is the link YOU posted.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  8. #68
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Ok. So what would you like to see done about it? Are you the one who's going to turn their power off so we can shut down these plants?
    False dilemma.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  9. #69
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    My basis in fact is the link YOU posted.
    The one where Obama stated that he categorically supported the construction of more nuclear plants?

  10. #70
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: EPA: Power plants main global warming culprits

    I'm all for a combination of nuclear power and personal/small-scale energy production being offered major incentives to grow.

    I do think we need to work on what to do with nuclear waste and better ways to handle it, but from working with nuclear power, it seems that the biggest problem with that really isn't time, but money. People aren't willing to spend the money necessary to properly dispose or recycle contaminated items. Contaminated equipment can be used again if it is still in working (meeting the necessary requirements) condition. Even fuel can be recovered to a point, if we actually put in the money and effort to do so.

    Another issue will be getting enough properly trained and qualified workers to actually work in the nuclear plants.

    As for the small-scale energy production, I want to see builders and homeowners and even business owners given incentives to add natural power-producing equipment (solar panels, windmills, even waterwheels) where people are able in order to produce their own energy to run their homes and businesses. This could certainly reduce some of our reliance on those "dirtier" energy forms.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •