Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 161

Thread: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

  1. #81
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    8,736

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    On a serious note, while I do understand theNextEra's point - that the Iranian scientists are not the Iranian government - I also understand Israel's position here. They believe they're fighting for their very survival in keeping a nuclear Iran from existing. Let's look at the facts:

    - Peace negotiations (whether you believe Israel's been genuine or not) haven't worked.
    - Sactions haven't stopped Iran from going forward with their nuclear ambitions.
    - Diplomacy hasn't worked either.
    - Nor has sabatoge (i.e., crippling Iran's centrifuges via an Internet virus)

    So, nothing's worked to stop them completely. Yet, Iran (as well as a large part of the Muslim world) continues in their lamentations to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth. If all other peaceful diplomatic efforts have failed, what else is left short of all out war except espionage, assassination or terrorism which is an extreme form of assassination?

    I understand theNextEra's point of view in that the scientist are civilians...ordinary people who are just going to work to do a job, and as such, perhaps shouldn't be viewed any differently than say the scientist who once worked on the Manhatten Project, but there's a difference between building a weapon to defend yourself against an enemy and building one to wipe your country off the face of the planet!

    Now, if all Iran wants to do is build nuclear weapons as a deterant to a military strike against their country - have such as an offensive weapon same as the U.S. or the Soviet Union or even Pakistan, India or (to a lesser degree) N. Korea - I say they have that right. But when you've made your position known not only to the nation you despise but also to the world-at-large, it comes a time when you must use every method at your disposal to stop your "enemy" from acquiring the means to destroy you. And if said method includes stopping the development of that weapon at the source - the nuclear scientist themselves - then so be it.

    Let me be clear: None of this would be necessary if Iran would be truthful and see reason. IMO, they haven't been truthful concerning nuclear development projects nor will they be. And they certainly won't become more cooperative unless they're forced to be. When all else fails, drastic measures calls for drastic actions. I hate it for the Iranian scientist, but...

    Abdullah, if you're wearing a white smock and you plan to enter a facility that might be construde as a Iranian nuclear weapons facility, keep your head on a swivel and look out for motorcyclists wearing backpacks...
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 01-11-12 at 11:39 AM.

  2. #82
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,502

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by Boring Bob View Post
    This seems like a rather ineffective way to stop Iran from pursuing nuclear power. Until the guys making the decisions are the ones being targeted, I don't see Iran changing course. That western powers have stooped to killing civilians because they're afraid to tackle the real problems is truly sad.
    it might be that those same western powers do not want to face reprisal in the same way
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewerBob View Post
    The Democrats couldn't be more tone deaf if they had their eardrums incinerated with a hot poker.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Why confuse things with facts?

  3. #83
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,574

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And you think this doesn't create terror? They targeted a CIVILIAN.

    What amazes me is that if this is so right and acceptable, why hasn't the coward country that oked this come forward? Oh yeah, because they know it's wrong and illegal.
    To stop "alleged terrorism" agents burn a scientist in an explosive fiery death to send a message to Irans nucular ambitions. If it turns out the US had any part of the effort they should be pursued for terrorism. We cant pretend to be a civil and noble country if we condone exploding people. People need to admit their hethen tendancies or just drop the pretense.
    Last edited by dirtpoorchris; 01-11-12 at 11:44 AM.
    Is society was made of coral our world would be floral.

  4. #84
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,574

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    On a serious note, while I do understand theNextEra's point - that the Iranian scientists are not the Iranian government - I also understand Israel's position here. They believe they're fighting for their very survival in keeping a nuclear Iran from existing. Let's look at the facts:

    - Peace negotiations (whether you believe Israel's been genuine or not) haven't worked.
    - Sactions haven't stopped Iran from going forward with their nuclear ambitions.
    - Diplomacy hasn't worked either.
    - Nor has sabatoge (i.e., crippling Iran's centrifuges via an Internet virus)

    So, nothing's worked to stop them completely. Yet, Iran (as well as a large part of the Muslim world) continues in their lamentations to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth. If all other peaceful diplomatic efforts have failed, what else is left short of all out war except espionage, assassination or terrorism which is an extreme form of assassination?

    I understand theNextEra's point of view in that the scientist are civilians...ordinary people who are just going to work to do a job, and as such, perhaps shouldn't be viewed any differently than say the scientist who once worked on the Manhatten Project, but there's a difference between building a weapon to defend yourself against an enemy and building one to wipe your country off the face of the planet!

    Now, if all Iran wants to do is build nuclear weapons as a deterant to a military strike against their country - have such as an offensive weapon same as the U.S. or the Soviet Union or even Pakistan, India or (to a lesser degree) N. Korea - I say they have that right. But when you've made your position known not only to the nation you despise but also to the world-at-large, it comes a time when you must use every method at your disposal to stop your "enemy" from acquiring the means to destroy you. And if said method includes stopping the development of that weapon at the source - the nuclear scientist themselves - then so be it.

    Let me be clear: None of this would be necessary if Iran would be truthful and see reason. IMO, they haven't been truthful concerning nuclear development projects nor will they be. And they certainly won't become more cooperative unless they're forced to be. When all else fails, drastic measures calls for drastic actions. I hate it for the Iranian scientist, but...

    Abdullah, if you're wearing a white smock and you plan to enter a facility that might be construde as a Iranian nuclear weapons facility, keep your head on a swivel and look out for motorcyclist wearing backpacks...
    Huh? Iran is pursuing efforts in order to level Israel? News to me. The only thing I remember them saying thats even close to that is when they where talking about retaliation. AKA if Israel attacked them they would respond be taking it off the map. AKA they try to mess with Irans sovereignty and Iran will respond by usurping all of theirs.

    After the WMD flops that have been going on I do not trust that Iran has nuclear weapons. I think people just want more war.
    Is society was made of coral our world would be floral.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    12-22-15 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    On a serious note, while I do understand theNextEra's point - that the Iranian scientists are not the Iranian government - I also understand Israel's position here. They believe they're fighting for their very survival in keeping a nuclear Iran from existing. Let's look at the facts:

    - Peace negotiations (whether you believe Israel's been genuine or not) haven't worked.
    - Sactions haven't stopped Iran from going forward with their nuclear ambitions.
    - Diplomacy hasn't worked either.
    - Nor has sabatoge (i.e., crippling Iran's centrifuges via an Internet virus)

    So, nothing's worked to stop them completely. Yet, Iran (as well as a large part of the Muslim world) continues in their lamentations to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth. If all other peaceful diplomatic efforts have failed, what else is left short of all out war except espionage, assassination or terrorism which is an extreme form of assassination?

    I understand theNextEra's point of view in that the scientist are civilians...ordinary people who are just going to work to do a job, and as such, perhaps shouldn't be viewed any differently than say the scientist who once worked on the Manhatten Project, but there's a difference between building a weapon to defend yourself against an enemy and building one to wipe your country off the face of the planet!

    Now, if all Iran wants to do is build nuclear weapons as a deterant to a military strike against their country - have such as an offensive weapon same as the U.S. or the Soviet Union or even Pakistan, India or (to a lesser degree) N. Korea - I say they have that right. But when you've made your position known not only to the nation you despise but also to the world-at-large, it comes a time when you must use every method at your disposal to stop your "enemy" from acquiring the means to destroy you. And if said method includes stopping the development of that weapon at the source - the nuclear scientist themselves - then so be it.

    Let me be clear: None of this would be necessary if Iran would be truthful and see reason. IMO, they haven't been truthful concerning nuclear development projects nor will they be. And they certainly won't become more cooperative unless they're forced to be. When all else fails, drastic measures calls for drastic actions. I hate it for the Iranian scientist, but...

    Abdullah, if you're wearing a white smock and you plan to enter a facility that might be construde as a Iranian nuclear weapons facility, keep your head on a swivel and look out for motorcyclists wearing backpacks...
    If the point of this was deterrant, all Iran will do is place more emphasis on protecting their scientists. Does anyone REALLY think this will prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons? No, therefore this is indeed just an act of terrorism. If the U.S. was involved in anyway, those involved should be tried and that goes all the way to the top if needed.

  6. #86
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    08-12-16 @ 12:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Now we have to define hypocrisy as well? --What is hypocritical about my posts?
    You need your hypocrisy explained to you, Maggie? That's easy. You are a hypocrite for agreeing with the dishonest poster who introduced the dishonest terminology and has used it the most often, and have limited yourself to criticizing only those who wish to correct the dishonest element thus introduced.

    You are obviously hypocritical.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    12-22-15 @ 10:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    You need your hypocrisy explained to you, Maggie? That's easy. You are a hypocrite for agreeing with the dishonest poster who introduced the dishonest terminology and has used it the most often, and have limited yourself to criticizing only those who wish to correct the dishonest element thus introduced.

    You are obviously hypocritical.
    It is not dishonest to call this a terrorist attack. The definition of terrorism fits this to a tee.

  8. #88
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,580

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    From your own source:



    Is this the best we can do on this thread? Parse a word to death until it croaks?
    The purpose of the assassination was not to intimidate or coerce through the use of violence of threats, it was to permanently stop a nuclear scientist working on a nuclear program. His assassination was no more an act of terrorist than JFK's, Lincoln's or even the attempt of Reagan.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  9. #89
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,580

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    It is not dishonest to call this a terrorist attack. The definition of terrorism fits this to a tee.
    So by your logic Lee Harvey Oswald was a terrorist, so was John Wilkes Booth and John Hinckley, Jr. is a terrorist or attempted terrorist and anyone who ever murdered someone is a terrorist.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-11-12 at 12:00 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #90
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-18-15 @ 04:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    8,532

    Re: Car bombs kill Iranian nuclear expert

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    It is not dishonest to call this a terrorist attack. The definition of terrorism fits this to a tee.
    I disagree with calling it terrorism. It's an assasination.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •