Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 260

Thread: US military cutbacks

  1. #81
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The American Jobs Act that the GOP blocked included a provision to offer tax credits to employers that hire Veterans.
    Like a tax credit is going to cause new hiring. Companies aren't going to spend 50 grand, just to get a $3,000 tax credit.

    That's nothing more than a political hat trick to ake people think that you give a ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #82
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Have you actually read anything about the American Jobs Act???

    All I see are things to help businesses, as well as Veterans:

    Fact Sheet: The American Jobs Act | The White House
    The American Jobs Act is a joke! The only way for the benefits to kick in, is for businesses to spend more money than the benefits will save them.

    It's insulting to us small business operators, that the Libbos would think we're actually stupid enough to buy into this bull****.

    Since Obama said it's a good thing, I reckon that's good enough for some folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #83
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,402

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Yeah, we know. The 'trickle down' theory. Not even Republicans believe that pile of horse manure any more.
    What do you propose? A, "trickle into the government coffers", plan?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What do you propose? A, "trickle into the government coffers", plan?
    Trickle-up poverty is the Democrat plan.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The American Jobs Act is a joke! The only way for the benefits to kick in, is for businesses to spend more money than the benefits will save them.

    It's insulting to us small business operators, that the Libbos would think we're actually stupid enough to buy into this bull****.

    Since Obama said it's a good thing, I reckon that's good enough for some folks.
    Not only that, but Obama can't even get the Democrats to vote for it. He calls a Joint Session of Congress, normally reserved for such as requesting a Declaration of War, or an address by the Head of a Major Country, so that he can say "Pass This Jobs Bill NOW". Most absurd spectacle I have ever seen before a Joint Session. And his own party told him to take a hike when it was all over.

  6. #86
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Have you actually read anything about the American Jobs Act???

    All I see are things to help businesses, as well as Veterans:

    Fact Sheet: The American Jobs Act | The White House
    Yes, I have read it. I am a Vet and we take offense to it. Its like reverse Affirmative Action. I don't want preferential treatment. I want to be treated like everyone else. If I'm not competitive, don't hire me. This is how the libs operate. They think, "If we give them entitlements, they will support us just like the blacks, unions, environmentalists, gays, etc." It would really bug me if I applied for a job and found out I was hired for a tax break over a guy who has put in hard work and gone to college to get the same job. Honestly, I would quit if I found that out. Unlike all these Occupiers with their iPhones, I'm not above working at McDonald's. I'll work anywhere before I accept unemployment.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #87
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Not only that, but Obama can't even get the Democrats to vote for it. He calls a Joint Session of Congress, normally reserved for such as requesting a Declaration of War, or an address by the Head of a Major Country, so that he can say "Pass This Jobs Bill NOW". Most absurd spectacle I have ever seen before a Joint Session. And his own party told him to take a hike when it was all over.
    Dems on the hill haven't supported him for awhile. Maybe Pelosi, but she's a freak anyway. That speech was hilarious btw. Did you hear the newest one on Limbaugh? He was at some high school and told them they inspire him. There was a awkward pause, then they laughed at him. His response? "No, seriously!" Then his other gem (wonder why the media doesn't put this on the news like they did when Bush screwed a speech up). He gets up in front of some rich guy dinner where it was like 14 trillion per plate or something (hey, that's a way to solve the deficit!!!) and says "You gotta know before you owe. Hey thats a good campaign saying. You gotta owe before you know, no wait, you gotta know before you owe. Yeah, thats it." What an idiot. I got a campaign slogan for him. "Say no to the O"
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #88
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,131

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Yes, I have read it. I am a Vet and we take offense to it. Its like reverse Affirmative Action. I don't want preferential treatment. I want to be treated like everyone else. If I'm not competitive, don't hire me. This is how the libs operate. They think, "If we give them entitlements, they will support us just like the blacks, unions, environmentalists, gays, etc." It would really bug me if I applied for a job and found out I was hired for a tax break over a guy who has put in hard work and gone to college to get the same job. Honestly, I would quit if I found that out. Unlike all these Occupiers with their iPhones, I'm not above working at McDonald's. I'll work anywhere before I accept unemployment.
    I am also a vet, and I think those provisions of the act were welcome and needed. There is a reason why the national unemployment numbers show a higher rate for vets. The problem is that the government got smart about ten years ago and broke up "job skills" into "job sub-categories," and the result is that, with few exceptions, military skill sets do not translate well to civilian capacity anymore. There are some skills that are highly desirable on the market, such as a jet engine mechanic would have for example, but what call is there for an infantryman, who spent the better part of his prime college years learning how to shoot people? The private security industry is still, largely, government run.

    Almost all of the highly desirable skills (avionics/general aviation electronics, radar, nuclear engineering, communications, and other specialties) that translate *directly* to a civilian component are already government subsidized, i.e. these people go right back to work for the government when they get out usually. There are already programs in place that give these types of vets a leg up on non-vet competition: just show your DD-214 and you're pretty much hired. But there just simply aren't any jobs for tank drivers, artillerymen, infantry, yeoman, and a host of other specialties that have no civilian component.

    The current ops tempo also stops many people from getting a degree while they're in. Support jobs, like finance, personnel, cooks, and medical, need to cert by civilian standards when they get out. Even mechanics have to attend some type of training if they go to the commercial market, because Delta Airlines doesn't put F108 engines on their aircraft, and civilian hummers don't use military HMMWV engines. And you don't get a degree just by showing up; finance troops don't get accounting degrees, personnel troops don't get business degrees, cooks don't get culinary degrees... hell, even medics and medical assistants have to recert in the civilian world before they can become EMTs or go to work in a doctor's office. And all of this stands outside of the ever-growing number of vets with PTSD. Some people are scared to hire vets, especially if they may already be burned out. The best thing for them in that case is to reengage life and start a career, but not many people are willing to take someone who's already given so much of themselves and breath some life back into them.

    I found the programs necessary to combat the growing trend of disproportionate unemployment. It's really too bad that wasn't reason enough to write the bill. No, it had to be attached to some other political plum, which is a damn shame, because it was a good idea in and of itself.
    Last edited by Gonzo Rodeo; 01-07-12 at 03:51 PM.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  9. #89
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    I am also a vet, and I think those provisions of the act were welcome and needed. There is a reason why the national unemployment numbers show a higher rate for vets. The problem is that the government got smart about ten years ago and broke up "job skills" into "job sub-categories," and the result is that, with few exceptions, military skill sets do not translate well to civilian capacity. There are some skills that are highly desirable on the market, such as a jet engine mechanic would have for example, but what call is there for an infantryman, who spent the better part of his prime college years learning how to shoot people? The private security industry is still, largely, government run.

    Almost all of the highly desirable skills (avionics/general aviation electronics, radar, nuclear engineering, communications, and other specialties) that translate *directly* to a civilian component are already government subsidized, i.e. these people go right back to work for the government when they get out usually. There are already programs in place that give these types of vets a leg up on non-vet competition: just show your DD-214 and you're pretty much hired. But there just simply aren't any jobs for tank drivers, artillerymen, infantry, yeoman, and a host of other specialties that have no civilian component.

    The current ops tempo also stops many people from getting a degree while they're in. Support jobs, like finance, personnel, cooks, and medical, need to cert by civilian standards when they get out. Even mechanics have to attend some type of training if they go to the commercial market, because Delta Airlines doesn't put F108 engines on their aircraft, and civilian hummers don't use military HMMWV engines. And you don't get a degree just by showing up; finance troops don't get accounting degrees, personnel troops don't get business degrees, cooks don't get culinary degrees... hell, even medics and medical assistants have to recert in the civilian world.

    I found the programs necessary to combat the growing trend of disproportionate unemployment. It's really too bad that wasn't reason enough to write the bill. No, it had to be attached to some other political plum, which is a damn shame, because it was a good idea in and of itself.
    Have you had a look at the new GI Bill? Thats where these guys with job skills that "don't translate" should go. The GI Bill pays for college as well as paying the equivalent of an E-5's Basic Allowance Housing. That can range from $1,000 to $2,200 in some areas.
    I'm not one of the guys you are talking about whose job skills translate directly. I am a ground pounder. Guess what I'm doing when I get out? Going to college with an awesome GI Bill. If a kid is too stupid to take advantage, he needs to struggle until he figures it out.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #90
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,131

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Like a tax credit is going to cause new hiring. Companies aren't going to spend 50 grand, just to get a $3,000 tax credit.

    That's nothing more than a political hat trick to ake people think that you give a ****.
    Perhaps not new hiring, but if you were going to hire someone anyway, it would be cheaper for you if that person was a vet.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •