Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 260

Thread: US military cutbacks

  1. #211
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Show proof. Don't just come up with strawman arguments. This is a common argument used by the left but they never show the other sides atrocities.
    We killed a million in Vietnam alone! Then there was Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq (twice), and Libya.

    "Military casualties were 1.1 million killed and 600000 wounded in 21 years of war."

    Casualties - US vs NVA/VC


    What's Iran done to top that?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #212
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    We killed a million in Vietnam alone! Then there was Korea, Afghanistan, Iraq (twice), and Libya.

    "Military casualties were 1.1 million killed and 600000 wounded in 21 years of war."

    Casualties - US vs NVA/VC


    What's Iran done to top that?
    Whats wrong with killing the enemy in Vietnam?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  3. #213
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Actually, our country has always had some debt. Not the levels we have today though, I agree.
    Diplomatic posts used to not be the relatively cushy jobs they are now. They still aren't that great. Type murdered diplomat into google and look what pops up. I'm not saying our military should be huge just for diplomats, I was just using that as an example. Maintaining diplomacy takes a lot of manpower. Keeping trade routes open takes a lot of manpower. Rescuing Iranian fisherman takes manpower. Our military executes far more humanitarian type missions than combat. Even when Afghanistan and Iraq were both in high gear, we were still executing humanitarian missions all over the world. That helps just as much as the wars we fight. Just because you see the wars on TV all the time, doesn't mean other missions aren't being executed. Its just the news media playing to the worst story all the time. Just like you hear more about murders and rapes than you do feel good stories.
    No one said our country never had any debt. All you have to do to see when the huge debt relative to our GDP began though is to look at the records:


    Source
    Federal Reserve Flow of Funds

    Chart of the day: Total US Debt | Credit Writedowns

    Historians and economists attribute this great increase in debt to the combination of excessive military spending and cutting the taxes (revenues).

    Bush doubled down and almost doubled military spending again while cutting taxes for the wealthy at the same time. Again, our debt increased dramatically again.

    You can't continue spend as much as the rest of the world combined on the military industrial complex and continue giving tax cuts to the wealthy. We have 30 years of experience that proves it just leads to huge debt.

    Is the GOP serious about getting our debt under control, or not?
    Last edited by Catawba; 01-10-12 at 10:04 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #214
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Whats wrong with killing the enemy in Vietnam?
    Or discussion has been about the risk of Iran acting more aggressive than other countries with nuclear weapons were we not? Well I am showing you that Iran has behaved less aggressively to other countries than have we in the last half century. They waged less wars than we have and they have killed less people then we have.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #215
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Or discussion has been about the risk of Iran acting more aggressive than other countries with nuclear weapons were we not? Well I am showing you that Iran has behaved less aggressively to other countries than have we in the last half century. They waged less wars than we have and they have killed less people then we have.
    We were protecting our country from dangerous people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #216
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    No one said our country never had any debt. All you have to do to see when the huge debt relative to our GDP began though is to look at the records:



    Historians and economists attribute this great increase in debt to the combination of excessive military spending and cutting the taxes (revenues).

    Bush double down and almost doubled military spending again while cutting taxes for the wealthy at the same time. Again, our debt increased dramatically again.

    You can't continue spend as much as the rest of the world combined on the military industrial complex and continue giving tax cuts to the wealthy. We have 30 years of experience that proves it just leads to huge debt.

    Is the GOP serious about getting our debt under control, or not?
    Here we go, the ready made lib argument. Its all Bushes fault. Obama is the victim. Yada yada yada. I know Bush was an economic train wreck. However, this is Obama's economy. Reagan took over something similar and had it fixed by the end of his first term. This debate was going good until you broke that out. Here you go, take a look at this and see what you think. Your boy has actually increased military spending while spending has gone from 5.1 trillion (with deficit added in) in 2007 to 6.2 trillion (with deficit added in) in 2010. He only spent 1% more than Bush though. So where's all that money going?
    .....jpg
    untitled.....jpg
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #217
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Or discussion has been about the risk of Iran acting more aggressive than other countries with nuclear weapons were we not? Well I am showing you that Iran has behaved less aggressively to other countries than have we in the last half century. They waged less wars than we have and they have killed less people then we have.
    Your discussion with me has been nothing about Iran. You are confusing me with apdst.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #218
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Whats wrong with killing the enemy in Vietnam?
    Liberals have short memories, they don't remember the Gulf of Tonkin.

  9. #219
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    We were protecting our country from dangerous people.
    The domino theory, right? Haven't we been doing business with those "dangerous" communist Vietnamese for decades???
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #220
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Here we go, the ready made lib argument. Its all Bushes fault. Obama is the victim. Yada yada yada. I know Bush was an economic train wreck. However, this is Obama's economy. Reagan took over something similar and had it fixed by the end of his first term. This debate was going good until you broke that out. Here you go, take a look at this and see what you think. Your boy has actually increased military spending while spending has gone from 5.1 trillion (with deficit added in) in 2007 to 6.2 trillion (with deficit added in) in 2010. He only spent 1% more than Bush though. So where's all that money going?
    Its not the lib argument it is the facts. The GOP wants wasteful spending but doesn't want to give up the tax cuts for the rich. Its been the same damn way for the last 30 years. The only time we make a significant dent in our deficit spending is when both sides came together in the 90's to eliminate some of the tax breaks for the wealthy and decreased military spending.

    Obama has suggested cutting wasteful military spending. All the military brass I've heard agree, this is the direction we need to go. The question you have to ask yourself is do you want more debt, or increased taxes to pay for as much military spending as the rest of the world combined, or do you think some cuts are merited now that we have ended one war and are winding down another???
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •