Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 260

Thread: US military cutbacks

  1. #11
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,427

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Stands to reason. Iraq done, Libya done, Afghanistan, starting to wind down, osama dead. Declare victory and get our ass out of there.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  2. #12
    Guru
    GPS_Flex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    02-11-17 @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    BBC News - Obama unveils new strategy for 'leaner' US military



    This is an interesting move from Obama and one that I agree with to a degree. I agree that the US should spend less money on foreign wars and try and should switch the focus to the economy my only problem is how can you cutback and then switch focus to Asia.

    "Obama said in November on a visit to Canberra, Australia that the Asia-Pacific was now a top priority for the US. That speech was seen as a challenge to the rising regional power of China."
    China have increased their defence budget significantly for the past 5 years and you are not going to challenge them by decreasing the size of the military and poking China is only going to make it worse. Either cut the budget and bring back the troops and concentrate on domestic policy or challenge China which is it going to be?
    I have a problem with these cuts because this president and congress won’t cut any social programs but they’ll take a meat cleaver to our national security. There are more cuts coming for the military, to the tune of another trillion dollars, while costly new government agencies are being created and funded at breakneck speeds and congress does victory laps after passing a 60 day tax cut bill.

    "Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."
    John F. Kennedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    It would seem that the constitution is just a god damn piece of paper, to be trotted out when expedient.

  3. #13
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I have a problem with these cuts because this president and congress won’t cut any social programs but they’ll take a meat cleaver to our national security. There are more cuts coming for the military, to the tune of another trillion dollars, while costly new government agencies are being created and funded at breakneck speeds and congress does victory laps after passing a 60 day tax cut bill.
    "Meat cleaver".........LOL! We will still be spending 3 times whats needed to meet the Constitutional requirement for National Defense, after the so-called cuts. It makes sense to cut our most wasteful spending first, but this is not nearly enough. Ron Paul has it right on National Defense.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #14
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,580

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    "Meat cleaver".........LOL! We will still be spending 3 times whats needed to meet the Constitutional requirement for National Defense, after the so-called cuts. It makes sense to cut our most wasteful spending first, but this is not nearly enough. Ron Paul has it right on National Defense.
    "Constitutional requirement"? What would that be, pray tell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #15
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,580

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    our military is too big and too costly.

    its time to slim things down. fight smarter...not harder.
    "but...but...but...massive government spending will improve the economy!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #16
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    "Constitutional requirement"? What would that be, pray tell?
    I'll give you a hint, I named it in the post you just responded to.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #17
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by GPS_Flex View Post
    I have a problem with these cuts because this president and congress won’t cut any social programs but they’ll take a meat cleaver to our national security. There are more cuts coming for the military, to the tune of another trillion dollars, while costly new government agencies are being created and funded at breakneck speeds and congress does victory laps after passing a 60 day tax cut bill.
    But the reason why defense spending is being cut but social programs aren't is because defense spending is so bloated that it merits it. I mean congressmen funding jet engines that the Air Force doesn't want because their manufacture provides his district or state with jobs.

    We need to cut military spending and force the Pentagon to be much more efficient in how it spends money. Because there's a lot of waste there.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    But the reason why defense spending is being cut but social programs aren't is because defense spending is so bloated that it merits it. I mean congressmen funding jet engines that the Air Force doesn't want because their manufacture provides his district or state with jobs.

    We need to cut military spending and force the Pentagon to be much more efficient in how it spends money. Because there's a lot of waste there.
    We do and that will be good as long as politicians don't take this money and simply create new ways to waste it.

  9. #19
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Yeah, yeah, cut spending while bulding another canoe?

    USS GERALD R. FORD: A Close Look At The Single Most Expensive Piece Of Military Hardware Ever

    Read more: A close look at the USS Gerald R. Ford

  10. #20
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: US military cutbacks

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    We do and that will be good as long as politicians don't take this money and simply create new ways to waste it.
    There's a lot of truth in that.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •