Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 107

Thread: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

  1. #81
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If you have cancer or MS, you can get SSD or SSI (aka government coverage).
    HIV and AIDS patients have coverage from the government for their medications, it's a special program.
    I think you're mixing up SSD, SSI and Medicare. SSD and SSI are fixed amount payments. If you have a disability and have paid into social security for some number of years, you can get SSD. If you have a disability, have paid into social security for some number of years, and are living in poverty, you can get both SSI and SSD. Neither of them are based on medical expenses, they're checks you get in the mail for fixed amounts. SSD is meant to replace a portion of your income because you can't work at the time due to your disability, it isn't about medical expenses.

    Then, after you're on SSD for 24 months you can apply for medicaid, but you can only get that if you're in poverty too.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    I think you're mixing up SSD, SSI and Medicare. SSD and SSI are fixed amount payments. If you have a disability and have paid into social security for some number of years, you can get SSD. If you have a disability, have paid into social security for some number of years, and are living in poverty, you can get both SSI and SSD. Neither of them are based on medical expenses, they're checks you get in the mail for fixed amounts. SSD is meant to replace a portion of your income because you can't work at the time due to your disability, it isn't about medical expenses.

    Then, after you're on SSD for 24 months you can apply for medicaid, but you can only get that if you're in poverty too.
    SSD is about medical expenses for a lot of people.
    If you get MS, cancer, etc and it's expected to last at least 12 months, you can get SSD or SSI.

    SSD is not for people who live in poverty, it's for people who have paid the required amount of credits and have a qualified disability for at least 12 months.

    A lot (and I mean a lot of people) with inborn disabilities are on SSI, not because they can't work, but because they can't get any reasonable medical coverage.
    I have someone like this in my family, where the sole reason they are on SSI is because of their medical coverage needs, that no regular insurance could provide for.
    This is a legitimate issue regarding government coverage, they should cover disabled people, regardless of how many credits they've earned and regardless of their income level.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #83
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    If you get MS, cancer, etc and it's expected to last at least 12 months, you can get SSD or SSI.

    SSD is not for people who live in poverty, it's for people who have paid the required amount of credits and have a qualified disability for at least 12 months.

    A lot (and I mean a lot of people) with inborn disabilities are on SSI, not because they can't work, but because they can't get any reasonable medical coverage.
    I have someone like this in my family, where the sole reason they are on SSI is because of their medical coverage needs, that no regular insurance could provide for.
    This is a legitimate issue regarding government coverage, they should cover disabled people, regardless of how many credits they've earned and regardless of their income level.
    Right, I agree with all that, but that isn't what you were saying before. You were saying the government covers the medical costs of things like cancer outright. What I'm hearing you say now is that SSD and potentially SSI provide a little financial help to people with cancer. That is true for sure.

  4. #84
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Right, I agree with all that, but that isn't what you were saying before. You were saying the government covers the medical costs of things like cancer outright. What I'm hearing you say now is that SSD and potentially SSI provide a little financial help to people with cancer. That is true for sure.
    No, getting SSD and SSI automatically qualify you for state medical benefits.
    That's why a lot of people are on these programs.

    Medicaid, pays for nearly 100% of all the medical costs, the check from SSI/SSD is practically nothing.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #85
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    No, getting SSD and SSI automatically qualify you for state medical benefits.
    That's why a lot of people are on these programs.

    Medicaid, pays for nearly 100% of all the medical costs, the check from SSI/SSD is practically nothing.
    Yeah, that's right. Medicaid does. To qualify for medicaid you need to have already been on SSD for 24 months first, and Medicaid is means tested. So, long story short, somebody who has insurance and has enough savings to cover the expenses their insurance doesn't, isn't getting their medical expenses paid by the government (although they may get a modest SSD benefit each month).

  6. #86
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Yeah, that's right. Medicaid does. To qualify for medicaid you need to have already been on SSD for 24 months first, and Medicaid is means tested. So, long story short, somebody who has insurance and has enough savings to cover the expenses their insurance doesn't, isn't getting their medical expenses paid by the government (although they may get a modest SSD benefit each month).
    Here's the kicker for that though.
    They may let their medical bills accrue for that 29 month period, until they become eligible to participate.
    SSI beneficiaries do not have to wait the 29 month period.

    Also the 29 month period is for eligibility for Medicare, not Medicaid and the 29 month wait starts at the date of onset for the disability, not the date in which SSD started.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #87
    Sage
    teamosil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    05-22-14 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,623

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Here's the kicker for that though.
    They may let their medical bills accrue for that 29 month period, until they become eligible to participate.
    SSI beneficiaries do not have to wait the 29 month period.

    Also the 29 month period is for eligibility for Medicare, not Medicaid and the 29 month wait starts at the date of onset for the disability, not the date in which SSD started.
    Hmm I didn't know that.

    Still though, the point remains- if you just have an HSA and no coverage for meds and you get a condition that is going to require $10k/month in meds, you're boned. Yeah, you'll probably get the meds one way or another, but not until you've gone completely bankrupt, sold your house, and are living in poverty.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    Hmm I didn't know that.

    Still though, the point remains- if you just have an HSA and no coverage for meds and you get a condition that is going to require $10k/month in meds, you're boned. Yeah, you'll probably get the meds one way or another, but not until you've gone completely bankrupt, sold your house, and are living in poverty.
    See though, I'm not advocating a single solution system.
    I'm advocating a multifaceted system.

    One where there is a private market to service the needs of the majority and another where there is a government system to care for the disabled.
    The system for disabled people is broken, in my opinion and should be mended before we go towards overhauling anything within the private market.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #89
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by teamosil View Post
    The post office was actually formed for a different reason- because the mail delivery was the backbone of our command and control system in those days. I don't really have an opinion either way on it's role today. It probably does force the private delivery services to keep their prices lower than they would otherwise... But at the same time it's mostly just become a mechanism for snail mail spam. Might be time for it to go.
    As I stated before, I think a public option is great, however, I don't believe we could keep the spending from going out of control. Much like the post office. You could pick almost any other public service offered by the government and then look at its private sector counterpart. Which one is run more efficiently? Which one actually stays on budget?
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #90
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: Insurers Profit From Health Law They Fought

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    They are creating their own trust fund to mitigate their loses in the future.

    On a serious note, their profit margin went from 6.8% to 8.2%. Not a big jump.
    Exactly. Obamacare hasn't taken affect yet.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •