Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 395

Thread: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    May I remind you, yet again, that you chastised someone else's source as biased, yet you come up with yet another right wingnut source?
    Perhaps you can use the quote where I chastised any source.

    Based upon your arguments so far, I must stress that I am not saying your source is wrong simply because it is a trumpet of right wingnuttery, I'm just amazed at the hypocrisy.
    It seems clear you remain confused. Charges of "hypocrisy", with no quotes being used, hardly advances whatever argument you're trying to advance.
    I also wonder why your argument that contains fewer words than the link you provide to support' your argument (and I'm not really sure what your argument is in the above case, other than 'people aren't buying the Volt so that means we need to import more oil').
    It seems you are not very sure of a great deal but using quotes and responding directly to them might lessen your ongoing confusion.

  2. #72
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    When those claiming that the Keystone XL oil will benefit the U.S. vis-a-vis oil imports provide proof or facts, then we'll be in business.
    The Obama administration announced on Thursday it was delaying construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline, a proposed Canadian project so rich in promised jobs, tax revenues, and oil imports that its approval seemed assure. But the proposal to bring crude oil from Alberta’s tar sands to refineries in Texas involved a pipeline traversing America’s heartland

    What the Keystone XL pipeline would mean for the US - What is the Keystone XL pipeline and what will it carry? - CSMonitor.com
    I understand that jobs, and increased energy resources are really nothing more than lip service from the great jobs killer Obama, but it is just stunning to see his followers post such ignorance.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #73
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Just bury them in the ground with the millions of mercury laden CFL bulbs. No problems, right ?
    One could theorize that the right projects such irresponsible behavior on others because they are guilty of it themselves?

    Or is it that they are so antagonistic towards any type of progressive change in lifestyle that they simply rebel as a reflex action? Extremist rhetoric in order to defend a tungsten filament light bulb, wasteful technology that is a century old? Why?

  4. #74
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Two words: Re Cycle.

    Now that was hard, wasn't it?
    That is an ignorant answer. You think that all you need to do is put some old piece of trash on a conveyor belt called "recycle" and it come off the other side as some brand new item. There is energy and money that goes into recycling an item. When you start dealing with chemicals, and heavy items like batteries, that price goes up dramatically. Then you have to look at the actuall process of recycling the battery itself. The reason the battery is being thrown away is because the chemicals (in the case of lithium ion, its mostly cobalt and lithium) inside are only good for a certain amount of charge and drain cycles before they loose their ability to perform the chemical reaction that stores the energy. Those chemicals are now useless for batteries. no amount of "recycling" can make them work again. They are garbage. Granted you can reuse the battery container itself, but you are still gonna have to mine the lithium and the cobalt to replace the exhausted catalyst. Mining cobalt is cheap, but lithium is a fairly rare metal to find naturaly in nature because of its high reactivity. It is hard to mine and mostly found in other countries. To my knowledge there is only one mining facility in America and thats in nevada. As we become more dependant on lithium we are going to run into the exact same problems we are facing now in the procurment of oil. Dependency on outside nations.

    To boil it down. You cant just "recycle" the battery, and what little you can do doesnt lessen its impact on the environment as much as you would like to think.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I understand that jobs, and increased energy resources are really nothing more than lip service from the great jobs killer Obama, but it is just stunning to see his followers post such ignorance.
    Other than some temporary construction jobs, there are no statements of fact that any of your -- or the CS Monitor's -- lip service support will actually come to fruition. So far all we have is a PR campaign by the oil companies, which the right is swallowing hook, line, and sinker.

  6. #76
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    May I remind you, yet again, that you chastised someone else's source as biased, yet you come up with yet another right wingnut source?

    Based upon your arguments so far, I must stress that I am not saying your source is wrong simply because it is a trumpet of right wingnuttery, I'm just amazed at the hypocrisy.

    I also wonder why your argument that contains fewer words than the link you provide to support' your argument (and I'm not really sure what your argument is in the above case, other than 'people aren't buying the Volt so that means we need to import more oil').
    You can always argue that any source that disagrees with you is biased... Whether someone is biased or not shouldnt effect the strength of your argument, if there is strength to be had.
    Last edited by Dpetty; 01-09-12 at 11:47 AM.

  7. #77
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Two words: Re Cycle.

    Now that was hard, wasn't it?
    That is an ignorant answer. You think that all you need to do is put some old piece of trash on a conveyor belt called "recycle" and it come off the other side as some brand new item. [...]
    The irony is stunning.

  8. #78
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Other than some temporary construction jobs, there are no statements of fact that any of your -- or the CS Monitor's -- lip service support will actually come to fruition. So far all we have is a PR campaign by the oil companies, which the right is swallowing hook, line, and sinker.
    No, id say so far all we have is a staggering unemployment rate... Oh, and a President who is more interested in his Tee time than in any of us.

  9. #79
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The irony is stunning.
    Huh? Can you expound on that a little, or is that all you got?

  10. #80
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    You can always argue that any source that disagrees with you is biased... Whether someone is biased or not shouldnt effect the strength of your argument, if there is strength to be had.
    I realize that it may be hard for some to keep up, but you just described the right wing argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill, in post #36 View Post
    An Op-Ed by a far left environmentalists.

    Yep, convinced me...............

Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •