Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 395

Thread: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

  1. #61
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Perhaps you still don't understand what "ad hominem" means. [...]
    Wow. Repetition as an argument. When one makes an error, intentionally repeating it doesn't seem to be a wise course of action. May I suggest you get a second opinion?

    In any case, I am not going to debate the meaning of clearly defined and understood terms (although I realize that is a tactic of the right).

  2. #62
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The speculation that I've read is that it would go to Europe. The point is that the argument that it will be used here is not based upon any stated fact(s).
    More speculation I see. Ever heard of something called "proof", or "facts" to back up your speculations ??

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  3. #63
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    From an economic standpoint it would not be justified at today's prices -- unless perhaps you include the externalities (i.e., the cost of responding to global warming). But prices will come down over time.
    From the environmental stand point, what do we do with the 400 to 800 pounds of lithium ion batteries from every single electric car once they have exhausted their life cycle?

  4. #64
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    From an economic standpoint it would not be justified at today's prices -- unless perhaps you include the externalities (i.e., the cost of responding to global warming). But prices will come down over time.




    Sales have been less than expected, but they are increasing every month, even with the recall. EVs are still too expensive for mass appeal. I'd certainly be happy to buy a used Volt.
    How many cars have lower prices than they did 20 years ago ??

    It's not the used Volt that's the problem, it's the used batteries.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  5. #65
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    From the environmental stand point, what do we do with the 400 to 800 pounds of lithium ion batteries from every single electric car once they have exhausted their life cycle?
    Just bury them in the ground with the millions of mercury laden CFL bulbs.

    No problems, right ?

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  6. #66
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Apparently the US auto market, apart from a few experimental souls, have "just said no" to the Chevy Volt.

    The PJ Tatler Happy First Birthday Chevy Volt: No Profits, Few Sales, Four Fires and One Big Obama Administration-General Motors Cover-Up
    May I remind you, yet again, that you chastised someone else's source as biased, yet you come up with yet another right wingnut source?

    Based upon your arguments so far, I must stress that I am not saying your source is wrong simply because it is a trumpet of right wingnuttery, I'm just amazed at the hypocrisy.

    I also wonder why your argument that contains fewer words than the link you provide to support' your argument (and I'm not really sure what your argument is in the above case, other than 'people aren't buying the Volt so that means we need to import more oil').

  7. #67
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    More speculation I see. Ever heard of something called "proof", or "facts" to back up your speculations ??
    When those claiming that the Keystone XL oil will benefit the U.S. vis-a-vis oil imports provide proof or facts, then we'll be in business. Until then my speculations are as good as yours (wiser, I'd say, but I may be biased ).

  8. #68
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    From the environmental stand point, what do we do with the 400 to 800 pounds of lithium ion batteries from every single electric car once they have exhausted their life cycle?
    Two words: Re Cycle.

    Now that was hard, wasn't it?

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    From an economic standpoint it would not be justified at today's prices -- unless perhaps you include the externalities (i.e., the cost of responding to global warming). But prices will come down over time.
    Oh so it's a saving the planet global warming thing! I was waiting for the next excuse that would attempt to create a rosy picture of this mess.

    Well thanks to those who purchased Volts for making the planet a cooler place to live. Volt prices may come down eventually, though probably as a result of further government subsidies.

    Sales have been less than expected, but they are increasing every month, even with the recall. EVs are still too expensive for mass appeal. I'd certainly be happy to buy a used Volt.
    Less than expected? Was it Barrack Obama who was creating these expectations?

    We have politicians and car dealers making unsupported promises and people actually believe them? Have we really thought this through? Doesn't their reputations precede them?

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: PetroChina buys entire Alberta oilsands project

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Just bury them in the ground with the millions of mercury laden CFL bulbs.

    No problems, right ?
    Or they can both be recycled.

    A LOT of R and D money is being spent on making EV batteries more environmentally friendly. Both on the manufacturing AND recycling sides of the equation.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •