Page 42 of 80 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
Results 411 to 420 of 796

Thread: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

  1. #411
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFitz View Post
    You're correct in that the Democrats used the 3 day gavel process on one occassion. That being the nomination of John Bolton to be UN ambassador. Bush gave Bolton a recess appointment and Bolton proceeded to live right down to everyone's worst expectations.

    I won't argue that Obama is constitutionally correct on this. I suspect he knows as much about that as any of his advisors and critics. But he'll win the optics. Because the GOP will be forced to go to court to block a nominee and stymie the operation of an agency the public overwhelmingly supports.
    Bolton was not appointed during a 3-day gavel session. Further, reviews on Bolton's term were good.

    Whether the GOP pursues this in Court remains to be seen. They will not make it a primary election issue though, as it will not resonate with most voters. Obama, on the other hand, did this solely to try to blame Congress for his failures. He's an inept clown, "but its someone else's fault". He is pure scumbag.

  2. #412
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    he has 220 other openings to be filled. that window of opportunity might be prime time to do it
    Indeed, if Obama really wanted to blow this thing up he could have recess appointed all of them, as Teddy Roosevelt did many years ago. But instead he just made the four appointments that he judged absolutely necessary to the proper administration of government.

  3. #413
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    he has 220 other openings to be filled. that window of opportunity might be prime time to do it

    So, then Obama sees himself as a King or something eh, forget the Constitution right bubba? As long as it is Obama eh?

    Good thing this isn't a repub....I suspect that the sentiments would be far different...Hell, Conyers may clean out that broom closet in the basement to hold more faux hearings....heh, heh....


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #414
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Bolton was not appointed during a 3-day gavel session. Further, reviews on Bolton's term were good.
    Democrats opposed Bolton because of Bolton -- not because they objected to the UN. His service was an embarrassment to the United States.

  5. #415
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFitz View Post
    No, it's Obama going around the GOP's attempt to hold his nominee hostage in order to re fight a battle they lost in the Senate already.

    The Senate passed the bill that created the Consumer Protection Agency. Obama didn't have to go around it at all.

    The GOP is holding the nominee hostage in order to try and renegotiate the deal. And Obama's just snared them in their own trap (again).
    Obama did it because he is a massive fail. He has the lowest approvals of any President at this point in their first term. His hallmark legislation, Obamacare, is going down in flames. Debt out the whazoo. So its "Blame the rich. Blame Congress. It wasn't me who farted."

    Massive fail.

  6. #416
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, then Obama sees himself as a King or something eh, forget the Constitution right bubba? As long as it is Obama eh?

    Good thing this isn't a repub....I suspect that the sentiments would be far different...Hell, Conyers may clean out that broom closet in the basement to hold more faux hearings....heh, heh....


    j-mac
    Again, show me where in the Constitution it says that Congress has the right to filibuster a nominee. Then show me where in the Constitution it says that Congress can filibuster a nominee when they aren't even in session.

  7. #417
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Indeed, if Obama really wanted to blow this thing up he could have recess appointed all of them, as Teddy Roosevelt did many years ago. But instead he just made the four appointments that he judged absolutely necessary to the proper administration of government.
    Roosevelt did not violate a pro-forma session.

  8. #418
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Obama did it because he is a massive fail. He has the lowest approvals of any President at this point in their first term. His hallmark legislation, Obamacare, is going down in flames.....

    wait....the Supreme Court has already ruled on the Constitutionality of the mandate?

    what are you talking about?

  9. #419
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Again, show me where in the Constitution it says that Congress has the right to filibuster a nominee. Then show me where in the Constitution it says that Congress can filibuster a nominee when they aren't even in session.
    Look yourself, or be a lazy lib. The Constitution empowers Congress to make its own rules by which it conducts business.

  10. #420
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,147

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Bolton was not appointed during a 3-day gavel session. Further, reviews on Bolton's term were good.

    Whether the GOP pursues this in Court remains to be seen. They will not make it a primary election issue though, as it will not resonate with most voters. Obama, on the other hand, did this solely to try to blame Congress for his failures. He's an inept clown, "but its someone else's fault". He is pure scumbag.
    that is beyond laughable
    if you want to know why, start a thread on it and i will join you there
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 42 of 80 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •