Page 33 of 80 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 796

Thread: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

  1. #321
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Because it was nothing but a delaying tactic. The law was written, the agency was created (by Congress) -- no need for pointless changes now.
    You call them "pointless changes". But since the law was passed, the American public resoundly changed the political landscape in Washington. That's "We The People", btw.

    Further, if you had a clue about the machinations of the Housing Bubble, and the entities in Congress most influential with regard to what was, and was not, done, then the names "Dodd - Frank" should send shivers up your spine. Dodd couldn't even seek reelection, he was so tarnished. And now Frank is retiring, with a shove from redistricting, and an eroding voter base of support. In any case, the "watchdog" is the creation of "Dodd-Frank". I would frankly have been more comfortable if it was penned by the Wicked Witch.
    Last edited by Eighty Deuce; 01-05-12 at 08:51 PM.

  2. #322
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Incorrect. Those are cabinet positions, but more importantly, none are funded by the Federal Reserve.
    So what if they are cabinet positions? How is the principle any different? Likewise, what difference does the funding mechanism make? Congress can still cap the funds that the Fed authorizes for the CFPB. Republicans have already tried to do just that. House committee votes to slash CFPB funding « HousingWire

  3. #323
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    So what if they are cabinet positions? How is the principle any different? Likewise, what difference does the funding mechanism make? Congress can still cap the funds that the Fed authorizes for the CFPB. Republicans have already tried to do just that. House committee votes to slash CFPB funding « HousingWire
    If I have to explain how direct funding approval is different from whatever indirect funding options vary, then I am either hugely bored, or stupid. Turn the argument back on yourself. If it does not matter, then Obama had no reason to go nuclear, did he ? No reason to poison the well moving forward ?

    As earlier links have noted, Obama the Inept chose politics of principle. He cares not a crap about the Republic.

  4. #324
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    If I have to explain how direct funding approval is different from whatever indirect funding options vary, then I am either hugely bored, or stupid. Turn the argument back on yourself. If it does not matter, then Obama had no reason to go nuclear, did he ? No reason to poison the well moving forward ?

    As earlier links have noted, Obama the Inept chose politics of principle. He cares not a crap about the Republic.
    You're getting a little mixed up there. Try arguing one point at a time so we have some chance of figuring out what you're talking about.

    Obama made the appointment because Republicans in the Senate had hijacked the advice and consent procedure to try and make substantive changes to a bill that has already been signed into law. Republicans desire is to prevent the Consumer Protection agency from coming into existence. Have you considered for even a second why your party is taking the side of the financial industry, that brought us the Great Recession, against working men and women? You think they care about the Republic? This may all be procedural games to you, but that's not what it's about. What it is about is helping to prevent billionaire bankers from taking advantage of people. I know why Republicans are on the side of the Wall Street Banksters; they've been paid off. What's your angle?

  5. #325
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    You're getting a little mixed up there. Try arguing one point at a time so we have some chance of figuring out what you're talking about.

    Obama made the appointment because Republicans in the Senate had hijacked the advice and consent procedure to try and make substantive changes to a bill that has already been signed into law. Republicans desire is to prevent the Consumer Protection agency from coming into existence. Have you considered for even a second why your party is taking the side of the financial industry, that brought us the Great Recession, against working men and women? You think they care about the Republic? This may all be procedural games to you, but that's not what it's about. What it is about is helping to prevent billionaire bankers from taking advantage of people. I know why Republicans are on the side of the Wall Street Banksters; they've been paid off. What's your angle?
    Here we go again. YOu say "hijacked", but the facts are that the process is as it is, and has been as it is, to allow for political compromise. It does not mandate some pre-condition as to what the politics are. There is no "smell test".

    As for the rest of your rant .... sorry, but I do not drink the Kool-Aid. Government was what enabled, and then fomented, the Housing Bubble. And now government says they are the solution.

    Chug away.

  6. #326
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,763

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    the recess appointment position is automatically vacated if they don't approve it by the end of the session, but I believe they can vote to reject at any time during the session.
    But they can no longer filibuster the nominations appointments, and that is key. These nominations appointments will not be rejected by the Senate at any time during the year. If the GOP would like to have an up or down vote, they can always do that. It would be hilariously ironic if Democrats decided to filibuster any attempt to reject any of the nominees appointees, even though Republicans would lose an up or down vote anyways. Shoe is on the other foot now. The moral of the story? If 'ya snooze, 'ya lose.
    Last edited by danarhea; 01-05-12 at 10:22 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  7. #327
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    But they can no longer filibuster the nominations, and that is key. These nominations will not be rejected by the Senate at any time during the year.
    and this, is what is driving the GOPers mad!!!!!!!!


  8. #328
    Sage
    jackalope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-14 @ 01:54 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,494

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Not familiar with plenary power. But would put forward that your premise may be more theory than reality. Suspect that in the current state of Washington, the Democrats in Congress can shield the CFPB from any restraint the GOP may try to place on it.

    Potentially Obama has himself another one of those czar thingy's......

    Nope. The issue with the czars was that they were not confirmed by the Senate. This is simply the GOP not liking a Consumer Protection board and trying to do an end run to gut it.

    Kind of a weasly thing.
    Tiki Bar! Woot!
    Drinks are plenty, music is fine, and the company is first-rate

  9. #329
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: Obama defies Congress with ‘recess’ picks

    How many other "Consumer Protection" boards, agencies, etc...are there?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #330
    Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
    SgtRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 08:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,006

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    The Senate has followed the proper protocols. Protocols that Obama's own Justice Department argued for. These protocols compel a President to act with the advice and consent of Congress. Such advice and consent Obama has shunned. Now Obama has taken a further unprecedented step to take power from the Legislative. The community organizer needs to be shown the door.
    Soon he will appoint himself Dictator
    When America is strong the world is calm, When America is weak tyrants and terrorist slaughter the meek. ~ SgtRock

Page 33 of 80 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •