Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 796

Thread: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

  1. #21
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    ATL
    Last Seen
    07-07-12 @ 09:00 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Bush makes recess appointments, no problem. Obama makes recess appointments, it's a constitutional crisis. For gods sake people, whether something is right or wrong is not determined by who did it.
    You are incorrect. The senate is NOT in recess. No president has the right to decide when another branch of our government is functioning or not functioning. The senate is not in recess based on their rules......period.
    I love the smell of burning moonbat in the morning.

  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by conservativeguy View Post
    You are incorrect. The senate is NOT in recess. No president has the right to decide when another branch of our government is functioning or not functioning. The senate is not in recess based on their rules......period.
    Too bad the source argues otherwise. So much for "period".
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Further, while I do not have it in front of me, the exact law that formed this new agency (Dodd-Frank I believe) states that the person appointed must be approved by Congress. Not that it can be a Recess Appointment. That is how it was written and passed.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Too bad the source argues otherwise. So much for "period".
    What source ?

  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    What source ?
    Your source. It is quite clear there are two sides to the story.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,764

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    We have recess appointments occurring when his own party controls the Senate. Maybe he should pick a less controversial appointment if he cant even get it by his own party.

    Now if you want to claim its being blocked, debate the nominee, see how that plays out. If it plays out badly, maybe he shouldnt be the nominee.

    Lastly, this is all political maneuvering, its being done to provoke a reaction from the GOP so Obama can go radical, blah blah, extreme, blah blah. Its all really transparent. Funny how he can ignore precedent to make a political move that he was against before he was President. Maybe if it was the wrong thing to do before, it should be the wrong thing to do now.

    Someone, somewhere is going to sue, per the law, the Chairman or whatever the term is, must be confirmed by the Senate to enact any of his duties. So we will see what happens.

  7. #27
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    oooh...a strawman!!!!

    Summary of your statement might be a strawman. I don't blame you for not answering though... awkward eh?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  8. #28
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your source. It is quite clear there are two sides to the story.
    You referring to the WH lawyers who said the President can bypass it? So it is "period." This is an open shut case and quite unprecedented.

  9. #29
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,751

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    The Senate has followed the proper protocols. Protocols that Obama's own Justice Department argued for. These protocols compel a President to act with the advice and consent of Congress. Such advice and consent Obama has shunned. Now Obama has taken a further unprecedented step to take power from the Legislative. The community organizer needs to be shown the door.
    Funny how Bush was never demanded to be shown the door by Republicans, and he made 171 recess appointments.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #30
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    You referring to the WH lawyers who said the President can bypass it? So it is "period." This is an open shut case and quite unprecedented.
    According to the republicans in congress. So that is not "period". Nice try though.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 3 of 80 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •