Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 796

Thread: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

  1. #11
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    don't you get it? when Conservative Republicans do things...its good.

    when Liberal Democrats do it...its bad. No matter what the thing is.

    Huh...

    2004
    Senate Dems to Block All Nominations | Fox News

    2007
    Key Democrats vow to block Bush nominee - USATODAY.com


    So now it's OKAY, but back then it was NOT okay? Pot meet kettle. Congress shouldn't wonder why BOTH political parties are seen as vindictive little children.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  2. #12
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    Actually, that is the point. The GOP wanted more Congressional oversight, with it being run by a Board, rather than a single entity. In any case, it is a valid political concern. And the Congress followed the established procedure, one which Obama himself, and his DoJ, had earlier endorsed.

    I would hope that the GOP declares all actions by that Department as unconstitutional, not in accordance with the Law, and directs all US entities to not recognize actions by either agency. This is what happens when one skirts the Constitution. It is one more sign of hugely inept leadership by the inept moron in the WH.
    So the appointment isn't being opposed by the Senate because of who is being nominated for the directorship but to oppose the nature of the directorship?

    Even though it's the law regarding the bureau?
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Huh...

    2004
    Senate Dems to Block All Nominations | Fox News

    2007
    Key Democrats vow to block Bush nominee - USATODAY.com


    So now it's OKAY, but back then it was NOT okay? Pot meet kettle. Congress shouldn't wonder why BOTH political parties are seen as vindictive little children.
    did the Democratic Senate block all Bush nominees & filibuster all Bush/GOP legislation, from 2001-2008? The Republicans have turned our country from a democracy, where the majority rules, to a super-democracy, where a super-majority is required or the minority rules.

  4. #14
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    did the Democratic Senate block all Bush nominees & filibuster all Bush/GOP legislation, from 2001-2008?
    They certainly threatened... it's all on Wiki if you want to read it.

    George W. Bush judicial appointment controversies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The Republicans have turned our country from a democracy, where the majority rules, to a super-democracy, where a super-majority is required or the minority rules.
    So might makes right... is that only when there's a (D) next to the majority rule?


    It's still Pot meet Kettle...
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    ... So might makes right... is that only when there's a (D) next to the majority rule?...
    oooh...a strawman!!!!


  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Bush makes recess appointments, no problem. Obama makes recess appointments, it's a constitutional crisis. For gods sake people, whether something is right or wrong is not determined by who did it.
    Which misses the point. True recess appointments are valid. But when used as a political tool, that is to avoid Congressional oversight, then the Congress has its own tool bag to use. Now we have a President who is saying that he has a right to use a "literal" interpretation of the Constitution in a political way, while then denying Congress its own ability to use a literal interpretation for political gain, the latter in a way that Obama himself had argued as valid, as had his own DoJ. The point being, you cannot have it both ways. This is a clear usurption of power by one branch.

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    What is amazing is that we have a President who is so reckless with the abuse of power. When we look back to such as Reagan and Clinton, both of whom had other-party Congresses for the majority of their two terms, they both had enormously effective Presidencies because they worked with the other side. Worked things out.

    Not so Obama. He is politically inept, and pretty damn stupid all things considered. To govern such as this is bad for the country. Past Presidents knew it. But not this incompetent jackass.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eighty Deuce View Post
    The Senate has followed the proper protocols. Protocols that Obama's own Justice Department argued for. These protocols compel a President to act with the advice and consent of Congress. Such advice and consent Obama has shunned. Now Obama has taken a further unprecedented step to take power from the Legislative. The community organizer needs to be shown the door.
    your source is an article from the Washington Times, a conspiracy-theorist rag formed & owned by a man who believes he is the son of God.

    got a slightly more credibly source?

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    12-29-15 @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,747

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    your source is an article from the Washington Times, a conspiracy-theorist rag formed & owned by a man who believes he is the son of God.

    got a slightly more credibly source?
    Its all over the friggin news. How about you actually be "Progressive" and progress yourself to all the tools available to find multitides of available stories on this. .

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:56 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,294
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Defies Congress With ‘Recess’ Picks. Could Provoke Constitutional Fight.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Huh...

    2004
    Senate Dems to Block All Nominations | Fox News

    2007
    Key Democrats vow to block Bush nominee - USATODAY.com


    So now it's OKAY, but back then it was NOT okay? Pot meet kettle. Congress shouldn't wonder why BOTH political parties are seen as vindictive little children.
    This points to a bigger problem here. Idiology is not a reason to block apointments. If the president is allowed to pick the potential appointee, congress should have a damn good reason to block it, and that reason should not be idiology. Democrats do it, republicans do it, it's wrong. There are times I wish our politicians would grow the **** up.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 2 of 80 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •