Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 163

Thread: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

  1. #81
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Yes, but the root of the problem is that a certain number of young men grow up wanting to kill everyone they know. For very good reasons. We should work on changing that, instead.

  2. #82
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    If the kid was pointing the air pistol at cops and "engaging" them how did he got shot in the back of the head? I wonder what the kid said to the cops before they shot him. As it says the cops refuse to reveal what the kid said before they shot him.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  3. #83
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    I didnt know this was a ruling?

    and this has nothing to do with you im just going to throw a little rant out there

    If this is a ruling its stupid because it doesnt really solve much, because whether a gun looks real or not you dont point it at people and especially not a cop. Secondly what happens if this ruling catches on so criminals just start painting or modding their guns to buy time and get the drop on people/cops?

    Just saying toy/air/real the answer is proper education of ALL (person with gun and law enforcement)

    now literal toy guns can be painted any color I guess but air guns and such no need, just my opinion
    Well: my kids have brightly colored water pistols and pellet guns = people KNOW they aren't out there hurting eachother or others and their lives aren't in danger.

    I think that's a key difference - the ruling came around years ago because a child had a play gun and was shot because someone thought it was real.

    The 'you don't point guns at people' - parental supervision is what keeps this under control and what makes it a taught and learned knowledge: it is NOT natural and children often don't understand this and must be told often. Also: then - it is illogical ot let kids play with 'toy' weapns of any sort if you're really wanting them to not take a gun and point i tat someone.

    But this OP situation isn't a case of play gone wrong - the child was NOT playing (so we learned after facts came out)

    If the child in th OP had proper parental supervision and involvement it likely wouldn't have happened at all to begin with. . . but even then: maybe it would have - don't know.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 01-05-12 at 12:53 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #84
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 12:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,888

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    If the kid was pointing the air pistol at cops and "engaging" them how did he got shot in the back of the head? I wonder what the kid said to the cops before they shot him. As it says the cops refuse to reveal what the kid said before they shot him.
    I suspect he twisted and started to fall when the first shot hit him in the chest.

  5. #85
    Guru
    Chaddelamancha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    09-22-17 @ 12:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,546

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    This is a tragedy. One kid dead and cops who will probably never be the same. Problem is, this has happened before and it will happen again. We can never get rid of guns. We can never get rid of kids having access to guns. And we can never presume to know when/where something like this will happen. Sure, good parenting and some due vigilance by all concerned parties might stop some of these, but what percent we can't know. This isn't just a failure by the kids parents/school/friends or the makers of the pellet gun; it's called life and sometimes **** happens.
    Hail to the King baby!

  6. #86
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,028

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Well: my kids have brightly colored water pistols and pellet guns = people KNOW they aren't out there hurting eachother or others and their lives aren't in danger.

    I think that's a key difference - the ruling came around years ago because a child had a play gun and was shot because someone thought it was real.

    The 'you don't point guns at people' - parental supervision is what keeps this under control and what makes it a taught and learned knowledge: it is NOT natural and children often don't understand this and must be told often. Also: then - it is illogical ot let kids play with 'toy' weapns of any sort if you're really wanting them to not take a gun and point i tat someone.

    But this OP situation isn't a case of play gone wrong - the child was NOT playing (so we learned after facts came out)

    If the child in th OP had proper parental supervision and involvement it likely wouldn't have happened at all to begin with. . . but even then: maybe it would have - don't know.
    The kid was a band geek and his parents had never even seen him with the airsoft pistol before. Sounds to me like he handled some bully picking on him and tried to scare him with an airsoft and some gun-ho cops shot him. I wonder what exact type and model of pellet gun was used.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  7. #87
    User TomFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    01-20-12 @ 08:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    43

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Welcome to the world the gun lobby is promoting.

  8. #88
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    I was in Texas a few years ago and remember stopping at a gas station and parking next to a truck with shotgun shells on the dash board. I'm going to assume there was a shotgun behind the seat. The window was open. I'm sure it isn't that hard for a kid to get a gun if that is permitted.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #89
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtpoorchris View Post
    The kid was a band geek and his parents had never even seen him with the airsoft pistol before. Sounds to me like he handled some bully picking on him and tried to scare him with an airsoft and some gun-ho cops shot him. I wonder what exact type and model of pellet gun was used.
    I haven't read anything that presents this 'band geek' and 'bullied'

    From one story: he entered a classroom: punched a kid in the face - then the weapons engagement began in the hallway when police arrived.



    I can't tell: I don't know - not enough solid facts right now. I feel like we're all grasping at straws.

    Regardless: It's still sad that it happend at all - every moment that led up to it . . . sadness.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  10. #90
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by TomFitz View Post
    Welcome to the world the gun lobby is promoting.
    However tragic this istuation is: your view - an these events - won't change teh fact that our Constitution was written to permit us to be able to defend our selves and our country.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •