Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 163

Thread: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

  1. #61
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,248

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Just like Michael Moore. Turning a sad issue that isn't about GUNS into a political platform. The fact is this wasn't a GUN issue. It was the issue of crappy and irresponsible parenting, of poor school management in not paying attention to a child in distress, and 100 other sad issues (and perhaps one of SAFE ownership before it is ever an issue of guns).

    I feel horrible for the officers who now have to question themselves for the rest of their lives about this. The fact is that they did have to defend their life, and I cannot fault them for that. It is easy to judge a situation like this from the outside, especially when you cannot access the emotion of the situation when it happens to you as a person.
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  2. #62
    Guru
    Jryan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    01-12-16 @ 09:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,987
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Well, I for one feel terrible for the boy's family and for the cops involved. I can't imagine having to live with knowing that a teenager was killed brandishing what turned out to be a pellet gun.

    It was not the fault of the police. They did was they were trained to do, what they had to do. Nonetheless, this is still going to traumatize the crap out of them, and all the kids in that school who heard/saw it happen.

    A tragedy caused by the utter stupidity and volitility of a childish teenaged brain. Damn.
    I don't know though, if he had a BB gun, there are still age restrictions on those (I believe it is 16 in my state). That still falls on the responsibility of the parents to not just give them a BB gun and tell the kid to go to town with it. Oh well, I guess our society can't exist without people who have total ignorance of how to raise a child. Although, I could be speaking to soon, but I bet there was a irresponsible parent to blame for him having that gun at school.
    I'm coming to see that no matter what law we regulate, be it the stand your ground act, there is never an objective morally right answer to any morale question; in fact, since there are multiple objectively right answers to every moral question that leaves us with a lot of grey area and a lot of black area (not in the racial since).
    -Jryan

  3. #63
    Sage
    blackjack50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,248

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    And at 15 he is absolutely a child. ANYONE over the age of 15 knows you think differently at that age. Hell I think differently now than I did when I was 18 and that is when I was deemed an "adult." He may be able to make some decisions, but he still isn't a "man." I knew firearms safety at that age, and I could handle weapons too. Everyone in my area could. I knew kids that kept guns in their trucks because they went hunting after school. It was common. It also was common for teachers to look out for their students well being, and then common for parents to pay attention to their kids. Sigh..
    The Crowd is not the sum of its parts.

  4. #64
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by stonewall50 View Post
    Just like Michael Moore. Turning a sad issue that isn't about GUNS into a political platform. The fact is this wasn't a GUN issue. It was the issue of crappy and irresponsible parenting, of poor school management in not paying attention to a child in distress, and 100 other sad issues (and perhaps one of SAFE ownership before it is ever an issue of guns).

    I feel horrible for the officers who now have to question themselves for the rest of their lives about this. The fact is that they did have to defend their life, and I cannot fault them for that. It is easy to judge a situation like this from the outside, especially when you cannot access the emotion of the situation when it happens to you as a person.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but these are all interrelated. It's not just about guns or just about parenting or just about access or just about a disturbed child. It's about all of them.

  5. #65
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    That. Violence in US schools has been on a steady decline since the early 90s. However you can't pretend to be tough on crime unless you blow every incident out of proportion. Also, how are people going to complain and moan about the fatherless welfare class if they don't make them out to be little monsters ready to shoot the good hearted children of conservatives parents?

    Youth Violence Project - National Statistics

    Thanks for posting that.

    I dropped out of highschool in 1998 - I don't remember being terrified or immersed in violence. Lots of sex activity on campus - but not violence in any of the schools I went to during the 90's. In fact: the day I took my GED test is the day Columbine happened.

    All the violence "seemed" to have happend after I dropped out - so where was all of this happening and why wasn't I aware of any of it while I was in school during that period?

    And I was a student who brought a bowie-knife to school and my teacher saw me showing it off and just told me to put it away. That was in 1995. . . total lack of concern where I lived I guess.
    Last edited by Aunt Spiker; 01-04-12 at 10:44 PM.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #66
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    airgundepot_2190_133727.gifairgundepot_2190_1096286.gifairgundepot_2190_1125895.gifairgundepot_2191_37963735.gif

    I have no idea if these look realistic to someone who knows firearms...but these are all "realistic blowback airpistols." Maybe that's the problem. How is anyone, in split second decision-making timeframes, supposed to know the difference?
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  7. #67
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    airgundepot_2190_133727.gifairgundepot_2190_1096286.gifairgundepot_2190_1125895.gifairgundepot_2191_37963735.gif

    I have no idea if these look realistic to someone who knows firearms...but these are all "realistic blowback airpistols." Maybe that's the problem. How is anyone, in split second decision-making timeframes, supposed to know the difference?
    Whatever happened ot the ruling that required all toy firearms to be brightly colored? Why aren't airsoft and so on following those guidelines?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #68
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Whatever happened ot the ruling that required all toy firearms to be brightly colored? Why aren't airsoft and so on following those guidelines?
    I didnt know this was a ruling?

    and this has nothing to do with you im just going to throw a little rant out there

    If this is a ruling its stupid because it doesnt really solve much, because whether a gun looks real or not you dont point it at people and especially not a cop. Secondly what happens if this ruling catches on so criminals just start painting or modding their guns to buy time and get the drop on people/cops?

    Just saying toy/air/real the answer is proper education of ALL (person with gun and law enforcement)

    now literal toy guns can be painted any color I guess but air guns and such no need, just my opinion
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #69
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    airgundepot_2190_133727.gifairgundepot_2190_1096286.gifairgundepot_2190_1125895.gifairgundepot_2191_37963735.gif

    I have no idea if these look realistic to someone who knows firearms...but these are all "realistic blowback airpistols." Maybe that's the problem. How is anyone, in split second decision-making timeframes, supposed to know the difference?
    I don't know if these exist in every state, but there are laws that say that airsoft weapons must have a brightly colored tip (usually orange or neon yellow). There have been examples of kids using un-tipped airsoft weapons to commit suicide by cop.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Police kill armed eighth-grader in Texas school

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Right you are...an 8 year old is shot dead. 3 cheers for Texas, the most gun happy State in the Union. Can you imagine if that boy had lived...the horror.
    THe NRA should give that kids Dad a medal for teaching his youngsters about guns at an early age.
    You have an ugly soul. I begin to feel sorry for you.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •