Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 145

Thread: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provisions...

  1. #1
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,720

    ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provisions...

    In a scathing statement, the head of the ACLU, and other leading civil liberties and human rights groups who were among President Obama's most ardent campaign supporters said the President's decision to sign a sprawling defense bill including controversial detainee provisions would tarnish his legacy.
    And that it will. There is your hope and change, Democrats, shredding the Constitution of the United States, right where the Bush administration left off. And if that isn't enough, there is yet another piece of hypocrisy embedded in this law...... Obama added a signing statement, saying that his administration will interpret the new law in such a way that American citizens would not be detained without due process guaranteed by the Constitution. I have a LOT of problems with this signing statement:

    1) First of all, and most obvious, Obama blasted Bush for using signing statements, and now here he is, using one.

    2) An Obama signing statement doesn't mean a thing, once Obama leaves office. A different president could negate it in a New York minute.

    3) Just because Democrats in Congress didn't have the backbone to challenge Bush on his signing statements doesn't mean that Congressional Republicans won't have the backbone too. On this, though, I must admit that Republicans will go along with the status quo, but their hatred of Obama does make this option pretty tempting. On that, I am rooting for the Republicans, should they decide to take this road.

    Here is the deal, folks. The Obama administration has let loose upon the land a law that is just as Odious as the Alien and Sedition Acts, which were signed into law by John Adams. The law is unconstitutional. Period. But where is the Democratic outcry in Congress..... You know, the kind of outcry we heard almost every day during Bush's reign? I only hear Democratic hypocrisy, cloaked in silence.

    Have we now entered the age of the twilight's last gleaming? It depends on the American people. If we are content to replace our interest in the political process with interest in Dancing with the Stars, Justin Bieber, and the rest of the garbage that passes for information these days, then we will get exactly the kind of Government we deserve. And Big Brother will be eternally grateful. Say goodbye to America, folks.

    Finally, if a case is ever to be made for a third party, this is it, just as long as they don't sell America down the river too.

    Article is here.
    Last edited by danarhea; 01-03-12 at 03:56 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The greatest city on Earth
    Last Seen
    08-04-12 @ 04:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    31,089

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    wow, looks like the ACLU has joined in on the paranoid conspiracy theorist chicken-little bandwagon regarding NDAA 2012.

    sad....and pathetic.

  3. #3
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And that it will. There is your hope and change, Democrats, shredding the Constitution of the United States, right where the Bush administration left off. And if that isn't enough, there is yet another piece of hypocrisy embedded in this law...... Obama added a signing statement, saying that his administration will interpret the new law in such a way that American citizens would not be detained without due process guaranteed by the Constitution. I have a LOT of problems with this signing statement:

    1) First of all, and most obvious, Obama blasted Bush for using signing statements, and now here he is, using one.

    2) An Obama signing statement doesn't mean a thing, once Obama leaves office. A different president could negate it in a New York minute.

    3) Just because Democrats in Congress didn't have the backbone to challenge Bush on his signing statements doesn't mean that Congressional Republicans won't have the backbone too. On this, though, I must admit that Republicans will go along with the status quo, but their hatred of Obama does make this option pretty tempting. On that, I am rooting for the Republicans, should they decide to take this road.

    Here is the deal, folks. The Obama administration has let loose upon the land a law that is just as Odious as the Alien and Sedition Acts, which were signed into law by John Adams. The law is unconstitutional. Period. But where is the Democratic outcry in Congress..... You know, the kind of outcry we heard almost every day during Bush's reign? I only hear Democratic hypocrisy, cloaked in silence.

    Have we now entered the age of the twilight's last gleaming? It depends on the American people. If we are content to replace our interest in the political process with interest in Dancing with the Stars, Justin Bieber, and the rest of the garbage that passes for information these days, then we will get exactly the kind of Government we deserve. And Big Brother will be eternally grateful. Say goodbye to America, folks.

    Article is here.

    Good opening post Dana, however, why did this have to have its own thread?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #4
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    And that it will. There is your hope and change, Democrats, shredding the Constitution of the United States, right where the Bush administration left off. And if that isn't enough, there is yet another piece of hypocrisy embedded in this law...... Obama added a signing statement, saying that his administration will interpret the new law in such a way that American citizens would not be detained without due process guaranteed by the Constitution. I have a LOT of problems with this signing statement:

    1) First of all, and most obvious, Obama blasted Bush for using signing statements, and now here he is, using one.
    Obama never argued that signing statements were a bad thing per se. What he said was that the Bush administration serially abused them. In his eight years, Bush issued close to 160 signing statements. Obama has been in office three years and I believe this is his fifth or sixth signing statement.

  5. #5
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Obama never argued that signing statements were a bad thing per se. What he said was that the Bush administration serially abused them. In his eight years, Bush issued close to 160 signing statements. Obama has been in office three years and I believe this is his fifth or sixth signing statement.

    He also pledged to cite in the signing statement where he thought it was warranted constitutionally. is that in this statement? Anyone have a copy of the text of the statement?


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #6
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Obama never argued that signing statements were a bad thing per se. What he said was that the Bush administration serially abused them. In his eight years, Bush issued close to 160 signing statements. Obama has been in office three years and I believe this is his fifth or sixth signing statement.
    Obama has added 19 signing statements to bills he's signed.

    Many of the bills signed by Bush, and perhaps Obama also, included inconsequential signing statements to correct minor errors in the bill. For example, Bush signed a bill in 2002 on the boundary modifications at Vicksburg National Military Park. The actual bill stated "‘‘Upon the acquisition of the property referenced in this subsection, the Secretary add it to Vicksburg National Military Park and shall modify the boundaries of the park to reflect its inclusion.’’

    Bush added a signing statement that the bill obviously meant to state that "Upon the acquisition of the property referenced in this subsection, the Secretary shall add it to Vicksburg National Military Park..." and that the Executive Branch would enforce the law as if the word "shall" was included in the original bill.

    Presidential signing statements are not always ominous.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





  7. #7
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    Obama has added 19 signing statements to bills he's signed.
    Okay, so that's about six per year, or about 1/3 as many as Bush issued.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    There have to be half a dozen threads on this bill already

  9. #9
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    He also pledged to cite in the signing statement where he thought it was warranted constitutionally. is that in this statement? Anyone have a copy of the text of the statement?
    Statement by the President on H.R. 1540 | The White House

  10. #10
    Sage
    Gill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Derby City
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 10:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    8,686

    Re: ACLU, Others Slam Obama for Signing Defense Bill That Includes Detainee Provision

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Okay, so that's about six per year, or about 1/3 as many as Bush issued.
    And as I've shown, many of Bush's signing statements were inconsequential. Another example is the designation of a waterfowl sanctuary. In his signing statement, he thanked the various organizations that made the act possible.

    • "The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville





Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •