Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 459

Thread: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

  1. #291
    Cynical Optimist
    jambalaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Last Seen
    11-28-12 @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,481

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    the bill already says that.

    why should Obama try to ease the fears of those who have already made their minds about this bill, and likely would simply hand-wave away anything Obama says.

    regardless of the facts, some folks WANT to believe that this bill creates a new ability for the military to detain American citizens & legal aliens indefinitely without charge/trial. this is what they WANT to believe, and so..they believe it.
    Sounds like you are just drinking the Obama Kool-Aid. If this changed nothing there would be no reason for the law. There are likely back door provisions that would allow Obama and the military at their discretion to detain U.S. citizens. What you are saying defies all logic.

  2. #292
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    When you have an addict not paying his rent, IMO the answer is not to pay the rent for him.
    Not the right analogy. There's no renter vs. outsider here.

    I disagree. It might hurt but it would be financially responsible.
    An immediate cut of about 45% in federal spending would cause the worst, longest recession in our history and ruin our credit too.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Not the right analogy. There's no renter vs. outsider here.
    It's always the wrong analogy when one doesn't like it.

    An immediate cut of about 45% in federal spending would cause the worst, longest recession in our history and ruin our credit too.
    Nobody suggested doing that either.

  4. #294
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Wow, just wow....This is why this sort of thinking is dangerous.


    j-mac
    Like I said, I don't understand why you hate American justice so much. I truely think it is better than Iranian justice, for example, but you seem to not agree with me. But I note you really didn't answer in any logical way.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #295
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    It's always the wrong analogy when one doesn't like it.
    Yours is just wrong. We are all taxpayers, and citizens. There's no outsider waiting to pay our rent for us. We have to pay it.

    Nobody suggested doing that either.
    Yes they were. That would have been the result of not increasing the debt ceiling.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  6. #296
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yours is just wrong. We are all taxpayers, and citizens. There's no outsider waiting to pay our rent for us. We have to pay it.
    China (among others) are paying it.

    Yes they were. That would have been the result of not increasing the debt ceiling.
    Not even in fantasy land.

  7. #297
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Not even in fantasy land.
    Of course it would.

    Are you claiming that there wouldn't be immediate spending cuts at that level, or just denying that an immediate cut of that magnitude would have no economic impact?
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  8. #298
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Of course it would.

    Are you claiming that there wouldn't be immediate spending cuts at that level, or just denying that an immediate cut of that magnitude would have no economic impact?
    The former. The House passed a bill months before we had any claims of unavoidable disasters.

  9. #299
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    The former. The House passed a bill months before we had any claims of unavoidable disasters.
    Huh?

    About 40% of spending would have to be cut immediately because of a lack of cash due to hitting the debt ceiling. Everyone knew that during the debate too.
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #300
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Huh?

    About 40% of spending would have to be cut immediately because of a lack of cash due to hitting the debt ceiling. Everyone knew that during the debate too.
    There were bills passed by the House to raise the limit. Those bills were supported by the Tea Party.

Page 30 of 46 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •