Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 459

Thread: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    The rapidity at which you change subjects makes facing the facts a task measured in microseconds. My reaction time simply isn't that fast.
    At one time while often times disagreeing with you I thought you were at least consistant in your beliefs. That's something I respect. I see where I was wrong.

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    As was the Patriot Act.
    Indeed....... Much of that turned out to be terrible for the country.

  3. #153
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Good question. It should be noted that this was a bi-partisan embarressment.

    That's because "progressivism" exists on both sides of the political isle, and IMHO is a disease in this country. Problem is, that we have an example in Europe as to what this does unchecked, yet we ignore it and barrel faster down that track.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #154
    Sage
    AdamT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 04:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    17,773

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Bottom line is that Obama opposed the detention measure, but had to accept it to avoid a gap in military funding. Obama attached to it one of the few signing statements that he has issued: "My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens … Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

    In other words, if you want to bitch about this provision, don't blame Obama.

  5. #155
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Bottom line is that Obama opposed the detention measure, but had to accept it to avoid a gap in military funding. Obama attached to it one of the few signing statements that he has issued: "My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

    In other words, if you want to bitch about this provision, don't blame Obama.

    Obama campaign bumber sticker for the 2012 race....


    "Obama 2012 - It's not my fault"




    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  6. #156
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    That's because "progressivism" exists on both sides of the political isle, and IMHO is a disease in this country. Problem is, that we have an example in Europe as to what this does unchecked, yet we ignore it and barrel faster down that track.
    Authoritarianism isn't progressivism.

    (And it's "aisle.")
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by AdamT View Post
    Bottom line is that Obama opposed the detention measure, but had to accept it to avoid a gap in military funding. Obama attached to it one of the few signing statements that he has issued: "My administration will not authorize the indefinite military detention without trial of American citizens … Indeed, I believe that doing so would break with our most important traditions and values as a nation."

    In other words, if you want to bitch about this provision, don't blame Obama.
    He pushed for it.

    Daily Kos: Sen. Levin Charging That Obama Asked for Americans be Subject to Life-Long Military Detention.

  8. #158
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,322

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Authoritarianism isn't progressivism.

    (And it's "aisle.")

    Authoritarianism is not Progressivism, that's true, However, Progressivism can indeed be Authoritarian.

    And I prefer Isle, as in "the isle of kooks."


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  9. #159
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Authoritarianism is not Progressivism, that's true, However, Progressivism can indeed be Authoritarian.
    It can be, but it doesn't have to be. And other ideologies can also be. So your comment was completely nonsensical. If you meant authoritarian, you should have said "authoritarian."

    And I prefer Isle, as in "the isle of kooks."
    Sure you do.

    Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Bike Flip - YouTube
    "Yes I read the 9th [amendment]. It doesn't say **** about abortion." -Jamesrage

  10. #160
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    When a law is anyting but absolutely clear, a politician will use it however they wish and claim it was their interpretation of the bill.
    Yeah, well, read the Constitution then get back to us on how long that's been going on
    There are no provisions in the Constitution that would allow a president to target an American citizen for death without due process either.
    You change the subject a lot, don't you?
    So we'll agree that the Constitution has no relevance to what Obama will do. (and who knows about future presidents)
    You're having a nice conversation with yourself... don't let me interrupt.
    Right, we wouldn't want to force you to actually face the facts.
    The rapidity at which you change subjects makes facing the facts a task measured in microseconds. My reaction time simply isn't that fast.
    At one time while often times disagreeing with you I thought you were at least consistant in your beliefs. That's something I respect. I see where I was wrong.
    Since I have not materially participated in the discussion you are having with yourself, I am at a loss to see how the consistency of my beliefs have been determined (other than conjured via strawman), and I must advise that attacking me personally will still not prompt me to address your strawman.

    Your original flippant comment (quoted deep above) was shown to be shallow and flippant by direct comparison to the Constitution. At that point your 'argument' went off into the Twilight Zone. Sorry I didn't take the bait, but there's no need to get nasty about it <shrug>

Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •