Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 459

Thread: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

  1. #141
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    So we'll agree that the Constitution has no relevance to what Obama will do. (and who knows about future presidents)
    You're having a nice conversation with yourself... don't let me interrupt.

  2. #142
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    [...] So when it was Bush, it was the Bush administration, but when it is Obama it is the republican congress eh....Nice hypocrisy. [...]
    Nice observation of actual events, I'm sure you meant to say.

    Unless you have some evidence that Obama pushed for the inclusion of the detainee section of the bill (such as Bush pushed for the AUMF, and Cheney pushed for the legal justification for torture). Or is empty rhetoric going to be the sum total of your argument?

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You're having a nice conversation with yourself... don't let me interrupt.
    Right, we wouldn't want to force you to actually face the facts.

  4. #144
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Obama has promised alot of things that he has in the end lied about.


    j-mac
    He's a Chicago politician. There was no logical reason to believe he was anything other than a corrupt politician willing to lie about anything and everything to get into and maintain power.

    My real question is why is it that the only bills which seem to produce across the isle, bipartisan support are the bills which grossly expand government against the rights and liberties of the individual?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  5. #145
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    A reasonable statement of the obvious
    Heh, so first I'm some kind of loony bird, and now I'm stating the obvious. Cute.

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    but all this hoopla masks the true intent of the detainee provisions of this bill -- to prevent the executive from transferring/keeping detainees to/in American prisons and to prevent the executive from processing detainees thru the civilian court system. It effectively codifies Gitmo.

    So, the war-mongering Geneva-convention-violating Bush administration has been replaced by the war-mongering Geneva-convention-violating chicken-**** Congress. Lovely
    Don't forget the Republican Congress under Bush, and President Obama himself. Barring an over-ride vote, it takes two branches to tango when it comes to codifying things.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #146
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Nice observation of actual events, I'm sure you meant to say.

    Unless you have some evidence that Obama pushed for the inclusion of the detainee section of the bill (such as Bush pushed for the AUMF, and Cheney pushed for the legal justification for torture). Or is empty rhetoric going to be the sum total of your argument?

    Just noticing your hypocrisy that sure would play well on the bull horn to the like minded sheeple that buy your excrement, but in here it is transparent....Sorry you can't take it like you love to dish it.


    j-mac
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #147
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    You change the subject a lot, don't you?
    That isn't really changing the subject. 1Perry's point was obvious -- the government has a history of using legal ambiguities to run roughshod over the Constitution.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #148
    Sage
    Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    12-18-14 @ 09:35 AM
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,561

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Right, we wouldn't want to force you to actually face the facts.
    The rapidity at which you change subjects makes facing the facts a task measured in microseconds. My reaction time simply isn't that fast.

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    03-16-12 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,624

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    He's a Chicago politician. There was no logical reason to believe he was anything other than a corrupt politician willing to lie about anything and everything to get into and maintain power.

    My real question is why is it that the only bills which seem to produce across the isle, bipartisan support are the bills which grossly expand government against the rights and liberties of the individual?
    Good question. It should be noted that this was a bi-partisan embarressment.

  10. #150
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: With Reservations, Obama Signs Act to Allow Detention of Citizens

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Perry View Post
    Good question. It should be noted that this was a bi-partisan embarressment.
    As was the Patriot Act.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •